ACL tears

lilc3

55 has some good advice but the Dr. will give you some advice or most will. Certainly the soft graft from the ham will take two surgery's healing which sounds bad but really is not but the Doctor can explain it to you and your parents. Good Luck

Thanks PHargis. I'm guessin your the guy from the paper? or someone with the same last name.

I think he's gunna take a graft from my patellar tendon.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my opinion only, but I think the soft tissue graft from the hamstring is the best, healing time is good and has worked out good for all those that I know that used the soft tissue. Hope you don't rush it though, maybe shoot for late august. Again, only my opinion. But best wishes, I can tell you are going to come out strong because of the way you are handling it, again best to you.

Thanks 55. I don't plan on rushing it. I want to be ok by my senior season for sure, so i'm gunna do whatever it takes to get to 100%. I would like to be back by my senior volleyball season though. It starts late august i think. mabe that's a more reasonable goal to look forward to.

Thanks PHargis. I'm guessin your the guy from the paper? or someone with the same last name.

No I'm not. But take the Dr.s advice and as many has said, while you are studying do that exercise. I have seen many recoveries and none have been easy. Your friends will help you if only you ask and you are going to need a lot of them. Don't just sit around a brood, within limits get out and mingle. DO NOT LET IT GET YOU DOWN> You will be better for it.

I have had two knee surgeries, both after college, and both playing basketball. I also had the knee graft. If you take from opposite knee, both knees are down, but rehab is supposed to go faster. You don't end up favoring a knee that way. I listened to the doctor, and every chance I got I put in a few extra reps and sets when the therapist wasn't looking. It is a tough hard road, just work your butt off.

Warning, knew a girl who recently rehabbed. The therapist and doctor did not get full hyperextension back in her knee(released her anyway). I don't know why. It is very important to get hyperextension, it keeps you from stretching your ACL and risking tearing the same one again. Knee hangs are very important, good doctor will fill you in on that. I would suggest a doctor(Dr. RW), but don't want to be accussed of plugging on here. I was very happy with mine and that is his speciality. I know several who used him and they have all been successful and active again. Make sure you use a doctor in which that is his speciality, you don't want one who dabbles in everything. You don't want one that does a few a month, you want one that does several a week.

Thanks 55. I don't plan on rushing it. I want to be ok by my senior season for sure, so i'm gunna do whatever it takes to get to 100%. I would like to be back by my senior volleyball season though. It starts late august i think. mabe that's a more reasonable goal to look forward to.

[/qu

thank you puma. i'll look into the site you gave me. sounds good to me. and yes, my doctor told me six months at the earliest. i also play volleyball so i hope to be back for jump training mid summer.... too soon?

I would go with what your doctor tells you and also talk to others that have had the surgery and their timeframe. Ask if they had complications. I can only tell you that by staying out 8 months helped my daughter not only rehab her knee, but work out the supporting muscle areas around the knee as well. The longer you rehab and wait the better you eliminate the re-injury factor. Make sure to check with your insurance about a machine that works your leg out while you are laying down and even sleeping. I cannot remember what it is called, but it will make your early post surgery work outs so much better. This machine raises and lowers your leg with different speed levels. Somebody will know what this machine is called.

I would go with what your doctor tells you and also talk to others that have had the surgery and their timeframe. Ask if they had complications. I can only tell you that by staying out 8 months helped my daughter not only rehab her knee, but work out the supporting muscle areas around the knee as well. The longer you rehab and wait the better you eliminate the re-injury factor. Make sure to check with your insurance about a machine that works your leg out while you are laying down and even sleeping. I cannot remember what it is called, but it will make your early post surgery work outs so much better. This machine raises and lowers your leg with different speed levels. Somebody will know what this machine is called.

AND it might not be interesting to you, but come in every so often and pump us up, tell us what you are doing, get on the VB site, some of us hang with the peeps there. Have a site here and use every momnent with something interesting but be around friends and sorry to say this but you will get discouraged and you will help us if you will come in and pump us up every so often. Some of us might even have something you can help us with on these sites. Might even be boring sometimes but might not. Good luck

hey stbulldog, and yes i remeber our conversations.... thanks for your concern. i'm still hoping to play in college but the chances are getting slimmer now because of the ACL. i'm still gunna fight for it though=) and as far as my grade averages... they are doing pretty well. As far as i know i havfe A's and B's. had to put alot of extra time into it this year.

All A's and B's, I just knew you were a winner. Actually if you re-hab and take enough time to heal properly, then a good senior year and you may be pleasantly surprised concerning college. If not, set your face to obtain a degree and have conversations with the guidance counselor at your school about college. Don't accept nothing less than going to college. My prayers are with you. The best of everything. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I will have to agree with most people. The mental part is hard to overcome. I tore my ACL my junior year of the basketball season. I had a few school looking at me for basketball but once I tore my ACL in my junior year, they all went away. I had a few small schools and juco schools looking at me but i had a better chance to go somewhere for track. I went that route and it's working out for the best for me. I still do wish i played basketball in college but track is still working out for me. I had my surgery with Dr. Burton Elrod, who is the team physician for the Titans. He did a wonderful job with my surgery and i did my rehab with his people at Baptist and everyone there was great. I had the worst experience without playing basketball for 6 months because it was my life but I think that the Lord had a plan for me tearing my ACL and for me being in the situation that I am in. I hope that everything works out for the best for you and I hope that you can come back next year and do very well with your senior bball season!

My daughter is in the home stretch of an acl tear and the most important thing we learned is the more intense rehab you do before surgery the better you will be after, and do your therapy at home as much as possible. Ask yor surgeon plenty of questions so you understand up front what to expect, many people said she could be back in 3 or 4 months, she had surgery on June 6, 2008 and just now workin back in to practice, doctor told us up front what time frame to look at and we knew she would do nothing for at least 6 months. Her leg is very strong now and seems that her attitude is as strong as well. The more time goes the harder it gets but she realizes as a junior if she pushes to play to soon she could miss her senior year as well. Time heals all things mind and body which are both very important when playing sports. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

AND it might not be interesting to you, but come in every so often and pump us up, tell us what you are doing, get on the VB site, some of us hang with the peeps there. Have a site here and use every momnent with something interesting but be around friends and sorry to say this but you will get discouraged and you will help us if you will come in and pump us up every so often. Some of us might even have something you can help us with on these sites. Might even be boring sometimes but might not. Good luck

what do you mean by pump you up? i'm sure i'll be willing to do whatever it is, i just don't know what ya mean. expand on your comment please=)

All A's and B's, I just knew you were a winner. Actually if you re-hab and take enough time to heal properly, then a good senior year and you may be pleasantly surprised concerning college. If not, set your face to obtain a degree and have conversations with the guidance counselor at your school about college. Don't accept nothing less than going to college. My prayers are with you. The best of everything. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i sure hope people will still look my way=) I definatly have a carrer in mind, but i'm just praying that God will direct my path. Thanks for your prayers. Much appriciated stbulldog.