ACL tears

lilc3

My daughter and her best friend are both out of basketball due to ACL injuries. My heart just breaks for them. They have worked so hard and come so far.It was their time to shine, Both are seniors this year, so the surgery and rehab will not be done in time to help them play. They each have different Doctors/Surgeons and each is recommending a different surgical approach. Now I am getting nervous. Our surgeon came highly recommended by the athletic trainer at the school. We really like his manner.But a person just can't afford to make a mistake.

I am very curious to know how your surgery went. Did you go ahead with the patellar one? I have been told that one (patellar)doesnt work very good for woman,,,but that is the one my daughter is scheduled for.

ANY info at all deeply appreciated

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter and her best friend are both out of basketball due to ACL injuries. My heart just breaks for them. They have worked so hard and come so far.It was their time to shine, Both are seniors this year, so the surgery and rehab will not be done in time to help them play. They each have different Doctors/Surgeons and each is recommending a different surgical approach. Now I am getting nervous. Our surgeon came highly recommended by the athletic trainer at the school. We really like his manner.But a person just can't afford to make a mistake.

I am very curious to know how your surgery went. Did you go ahead with the patellar one? I have been told that one (patellar)doesnt work very good for woman,,,but that is the one my daughter is scheduled for.

Each surgeon has a different approach and they all have their plus and minuses. The main thing is, has the surgeon done alot of them. The Petella tendon heals quicker because it is bone on bone. The negative, you are taking away from an uninjured area. The hamstring tendon, thats what my daughter had, both knees, works great, soft tissue, takes longer to heal. Tendons from a cadaever, there is a possibility of disease, but your not taking something away from a uninjured area, and there can be a wait to find a suitable donor. If your daughter's surgeon has a proven history of acl surgeries, then trust them. I have done a lot of research over the last two years, and I have not read anything that says a patella tendon graft is not as successful on girls as boys. All three of these different grafts have a 90-95% success rate, very high. Best to your daughter and her friend.

hi crisco 41, i am SO sorry to hear about your daughter and her friend. that truely breaks my heart for them, sincerely. my surgery went great, i had a bone petallar tendon graft. the percentage of re rupture for that type of graft is 3%. as opposed to the cadiver graft's re-rupture rate of 23%. i highly recommend it, i have been able to go back to school, and continue my normal activities after just 13 days. my incision is small, a bit painful, but getting better every day. the first two days propir to surgery are the worst, but after that she will be fine. any more questions... please ask me!

Each surgeon has a different approach and they all have their plus and minuses. The main thing is, has the surgeon done alot of them. The Petella tendon heals quicker because it is bone on bone. The negative, you are taking away from an uninjured area. The hamstring tendon, thats what my daughter had, both knees, works great, soft tissue, takes longer to heal. Tendons from a cadaever, there is a possibility of disease, but your not taking something away from a uninjured area, and there can be a wait to find a suitable donor. If your daughter's surgeon has a proven history of acl surgeries, then trust them. I have done a lot of research over the last two years, and I have not read anything that says a patella tendon graft is not as successful on girls as boys. All three of these different grafts have a 90-95% success rate, very high. Best to your daughter and her friend.

though the hamstring graft may be a good graft, but nevertheless you are taking away from an uninjured area. the upside is, you are less likely to develop tendonitus later on in the hamsting, bc it is not doing alot of bending whereas the petella will be. i was told ill have tendonitus in my L knee for the rest of my sports carrer.

i am not convinced totally that the cadaever graft is effective the majority of the time..... due to the high risk of re-rupture, and the added factor of the fact that it is not your body's tissue. you put your body at a high risk of being infected that way.... bc it rejects the tissue. though the scars will be a significant amount smaller, i feel a bigger scar with a better shorter healing time may be more effective. this is debatable nevertheless.

Your right, it is debatable, and I hope you heal quick and get back out there fast. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

thanks worden55. i'll do my best! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

My daughter had her surgery yesterday. The doc did the patella tendon graft. We actually sat and talked with him prior to surgery about which option would be best. Thankfully, he listened to our concerns about it, and then presented his rationale for that procedure. He convinced us.

Those who have had the injury and have gone through the rehab to be able to play again have my utmost respect.

To the parents of players, relish every moment your child is on the court, because you never know when an awkward landing or twist can bring it all crashing down and her season or playing career could be done in a flash. It's not the same going to the gym knowing she can't play!

My daughter had her surgery yesterday. The doc did the patella tendon graft. We actually sat and talked with him prior to surgery about which option would be best. Thankfully, he listened to our concerns about it, and then presented his rationale for that procedure. He convinced us.

Those who have had the injury and have gone through the rehab to be able to play again have my utmost respect.

To the parents of players, relish every moment your child is on the court, because you never know when an awkward landing or twist can bring it all crashing down and her season or playing career could be done in a flash. It's not the same going to the gym knowing she can't play!

hi CDL. im glad to hear your daughter's surgery went well, her and i have been emailing every since you gave her email to me. is she in alot of pain? i greatly appreciate it, it's been nice talking to someone who knows what im going through. my thoughts and prayers are with her, and the family.

your comment about relishing the time you have on the court is SO true. everything changes once you go down.... and i honestly think the emotional part is going to be the worst. My parents can relate to you i'm sure.

best wishes.

lilc3, thanks for starting this thread. I am a physical therapist, my daughter had an ACL reconstruction 1 year ago, and i have rehabbed lots of ACL patients. The comments from you and others about the emotional struggle is helping me with a high school girl (bball player) right now. Keep up the great work, and your transparency is appreciated!!!

though the hamstring graft may be a good graft, but nevertheless you are taking away from an uninjured area. the upside is, you are less likely to develop tendonitus later on in the hamsting, bc it is not doing alot of bending whereas the petella will be. i was told ill have tendonitus in my L knee for the rest of my sports carrer.

i am not convinced totally that the cadaever graft is effective the majority of the time..... due to the high risk of re-rupture, and the added factor of the fact that it is not your body's tissue. you put your body at a high risk of being infected that way.... bc it rejects the tissue. though the scars will be a significant amount smaller, i feel a bigger scar with a better shorter healing time may be more effective. this is debatable nevertheless.

My daughter had ACL surgery on the 22nd december last year and it was the patella type graft.

My research seems to indicate that post surgery patella tendonitis is more of a rehab issue and is preventable and recoverable.

check out this link

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79188

hope it continues to improve for everyone suffering from this injury

My daughter tore her ACL in 2007 in her team's next-to-last basketball game of the year. She was a junior. She had a patellar tendon graft performed by Dr. Kurt Spindler of the Vanderbilt Sports Medicine center. The surgery was done on 3/29/07. She worked really hard at her rehab. Her senior year, she played soccer and basketball, ran track, and ran the half-marathon. She did experience some occasional soreness in the front of her knee, but all in all, I think the patellar tendon graft she had was quite successful.

Hello, I usually don't comment on any of these blogs, just enjoy reading them but this one caught my eye because our daughter, a Junior at Greeneville High School, is facing the same exact surgery this week. She had what you describe as an awkward landing in the GreenBank Ladies Classic over the holidays. After several different opinions from the trainer to the initial orthopedic doctor we saw, we have been on an emotional roller coster. We had the MRI results reviewed twice and got the bad news yesterday.

I am anxious to hear how your daughter recovers. We have chosen a well-recommended surgeon who specializes in ACL surgeries. He says that if her patella tendon is strong (which it is), this is the best way to go and is the "Gold Standard". Also, the patella tendon and bone on bone graft completely regenerate themselves which I find fascinating.

I am glad that we made a point for at least one of us to be at her games. We have rarely missed a game (maybe 3 or 4 due to business)or scrimmage since she was 5 years old because you're right, it is a real downer to come to the gym and watch, knowing your daughter is on the bench aching to play. Although, I must say I am am enjoying watching our Lady Devils grow and battle through all this adversity. Our daughter was a starter and we have another player injured as well right now so it has been interesting to see how they are adjusting. I still have the utmost faith and respect for the program. My hope is that they gel together here in time for the conference tournaments and make a 4th straight trip to Murfreesboro. Our daughter played every second of the first-round game against Millington last year including 3 overtime periods. I hope she has a chance to at least go this year and support her teammates. I know her heart is in every minute of every game she is missing right now.

Good luck to you on your daughter's re-hab and I hope you will continue to post to keep us updated. I hope it goes perfectly!