What is up with Wilson County Schools?

Teddybear

Who is the idiot who proposed that all athletic activities should be after school, including weights and team meetings? Without that athletic period, our sons & daughters will be getting home even later (7:30 to 8:00). Our new district (old rivals) are already ahead of the game. They have forth block athletics unlike the Wilson County Schools. I see two things coming out if this is passed.

1.--I assume this is for academics. Wilson county schools will destroy some leverage that athletics bring to academics; such as, discipline and grades. It will cause some of those students who are border line students to make a choice. Stay in athletics and have no social life or quit athletics (for many the only discipline they'll recieve and quidiance they may recieve) in order to do some of the stupid things kids do. They will lose approximately 25% of their athletes for this reason. Some athletes only stay in school becasue of the extra-curricular activities. Take the athletic period away and see what happens to class particpation. SLEEPY is the key word. More sleeping in class due to students staying up later at night to be social.

2. --What ever happen to FAMILY? This will even take away more time for families to be together. Son or daughter has to practice until 7:00 pm, then it takes another 15 to 30 min. to get home. Super is already on the stove and cold. Must heat up. Or eat cold. Then there is time for homework. Then we must get on the phone with our friends at about 11:30 or so. I still love my kids and would like to spend time with them Soon, they'll be off to college. I hope

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've raised an excellent point. Sumner County administrators have figured out a way for their kids to earn 28 credits in four years and still have an in-school athletic period. Can't Wilson County folks figure this one out? If programs are going to be competitive -- THEY MUST GET IN THE WEIGHTROOM.

Who is the idiot who proposed that all athletic activities should be after school, including weights and team meetings? Without that athletic period, our sons & daughters will be getting home even later (7:30 to 8:00). Our new district (old rivals) are already ahead of the game. They have forth block athletics unlike the Wilson County Schools. I see two things coming out if this is passed.

1.--I assume this is for academics. Wilson county schools will destroy some leverage that athletics bring to academics; such as, discipline and grades. It will cause some of those students who are border line students to make a choice. Stay in athletics and have no social life or quit athletics (for many the only discipline they'll recieve and quidiance they may recieve) in order to do some of the stupid things kids do. They will lose approximately 25% of their athletes for this reason. Some athletes only stay in school becasue of the extra-curricular activities. Take the athletic period away and see what happens to class particpation. SLEEPY is the key word. More sleeping in class due to students staying up later at night to be social.

2. --What ever happen to FAMILY? This will even take away more time for families to be together. Son or daughter has to practice until 7:00 pm, then it takes another 15 to 30 min. to get home. Super is already on the stove and cold. Must heat up. Or eat cold. Then there is time for homework. Then we must get on the phone with our friends at about 11:30 or so. I still love my kids and would like to spend time with them Soon, they'll be off to college. I hope

Obviously someone on the school board who has never had a kid that played football! Or baseball, or basketball.....

Not only are they asking the student athletes to stay until 6 or 7 pm, but the coaches will be there everyday until 8 or 9. Then had the nerve to ask them to give up a great part of their pay this year. Its no wonder that every time there is a job opening, all coaches in good ole Wilson county tries to bail out. The surrounding counties have the better facilities, better support of their programs, and better pay. Why would they want to stay ?

Go away from block scheduling to a six or seven period school day.

How can you justify two hours of a school day to "weight training" that's just stupid.

Problem solved. Next problem....

I've always like the seven period day schedule better, but I don't think the school day scheduling is the problem. It sounds to me that either the teams are starting practice at 5 or 6 PM, or they have 4 hour practices. Either one is a huge problem.

Go away from block scheduling to a six or seven period school day.

How can you justify two hours of a school day to "weight training" that's just stupid.

Problem solved. Next problem....

No, problem not solved...First of all, block scheduling is 1 and 1/2 hour in length from bell to bell. So take away ten minutes on each end to dress and you are looking at an hour ten to run the program (which is about right on a four day schedule). A six or seven period day is not the answer. That gives you about 30 minutes of real workout time, which is ludicrous. If you believe that you can get a solid weight, agility, and conditioning program done in 30 minutes, you have a lot of research to do, and it won't be found on this site. Ask anyone from Sumner Couinty to attribute one common factor to why those teams are successful year in and out...they will tell you the same thing-4th BLOCK. It is easy to figure out how to work out the credits, I have seen the requirements, am not very smart, and it took me about five minutes. Also, we encourage these kids to play multiple sports, but cut down the time that they use to make that possible. There is no doubt that this is a fundamentally ludicrous decision, it is backwards in its logic, and will ultimately (as other posters have suggested) steer some quality coaches away from Wilson County. But, the most important aspect is the kids. There have already been some great posts on this thread, and my suggestion is to voice this beyond the thread and into the ears of the people that need to hear it. Stupidity is thinking that weight training is not important not only to athletics, but to lifetime wellness...it won't matter if they have the brain of a rocket scientist twenty years from now if they are so sick or morbidly obese that they cannot move out of their own shadow. I won't even touch the reason why, as I assume you are an Alcoa supporter, weights might not be as much of a necessity to you, as it would be to these programs (although in reality, it should be).

No, problem not solved...First of all, block scheduling is 1 and 1/2 hour in length from bell to bell. So take away ten minutes on each end to dress and you are looking at an hour ten to run the program (which is about right on a four day schedule). A six or seven period day is not the answer. That gives you about 30 minutes of real workout time, which is ludicrous. If you believe that you can get a solid weight, agility, and conditioning program done in 30 minutes, you have a lot of research to do, and it won't be found on this site. Ask anyone from Sumner Couinty to attribute one common factor to why those teams are successful year in and out...they will tell you the same thing-4th BLOCK. It is easy to figure out how to work out the credits, I have seen the requirements, am not very smart, and it took me about five minutes. Also, we encourage these kids to play multiple sports, but cut down the time that they use to make that possible. There is no doubt that this is a fundamentally ludicrous decision, it is backwards in its logic, and will ultimately (as other posters have suggested) steer some quality coaches away from Wilson County. But, the most important aspect is the kids. There have already been some great posts on this thread, and my suggestion is to voice this beyond the thread and into the ears of the people that need to hear it. Stupidity is thinking that weight training is not important not only to athletics, but to lifetime wellness...it won't matter if they have the brain of a rocket scientist twenty years from now if they are so sick or morbidly obese that they cannot move out of their own shadow. I won't even touch the reason why, as I assume you are an Alcoa supporter, weights might not be as much of a necessity to you, as it would be to these programs (although in reality, it should be).

Are we seriously having a discussion about why they are taking away the opportunity to have weight training and conditioning in school? what has our society come to we have these mega athletes who can barely read and write and we are complaining about this. And before anyone asks yes I am a coach and a teacher. how about have weight training before school starts. start practice right after school. I cant believe this is actually an issue