New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Anybody that's interested in this job has to go to Oak Ridge Schools website and submit their application and resume online. Those are the people that will be interviewed. By law they have to talk to each applicant either by phone or in person. There's already over 30 plus interviews to conduct, several states are represented already.

I still think that calling the top coaches in the state is the way to go, whether they apply, or not. You can still talk to all of the applicants, and obey the law, but in the meantime, we will improve our chances to land the best coach available.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you say may be true, and if so, it is a problem. I can't understand the idea or philosophy that says that Oak Ridge will not contact anyone to see if they are interested in the job. Do you think Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Florida, (the list goes on),waits to see who "applies" for the job, and then hires a coach from that list? That is a RIDICULOUS notion! If you want the best coach out there, then this "internal" committee needs to identify who those coaches are, and make calls to assess their interest. Do you think Florida would have gotten Meyer if they had simply interviewed the applicants? Do you think Alabama would have gotten Saban if they had simply interviewed the applicants? Both schools went after the coach they wanted and they got them. Why should Oak Ridge be any different? They may not know who they want, but they certainly can compile a list of the top coaches in the state, and contact each of them. If we don't do that, then we are destined for continued mediocrity.

Not saying I agree with that, just saying that is the way it is...I do understand quite a few coaches have called and e-mailed resumes....this isn't Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama....those schools have the money to hire who they want and usually hire professional search outfits to search and recommend hires....I am sure there are some informal phone calls made, to assess interest, but the coach would still have to apply and may be asked to apply. Money is an issue here, also what teaching positions are open, comparing ORHS hiring to SEC D-1 Schools hiring is not even close...there was a lot of bad blood and flak over the last hiring, and I am sure they are going to go out of the way to be careful this time...

I just heard that Larry Kerr was interested in the job. He was going to retire but his dream job has always been OR. He said he could go 6 more years. Maybe a good transition before another coach could take over.

I seriously doubt it, Larry will retire, the question is there, who will take over at Anderson County, they had a good team last year, but a senior team, understand it will be a rebuilding year at AC, but it is a good job for a young coach...I don't think Larry's personality would work well at Oak Ridge, with either the players or administration...nope, Larry's out!! If it was him, it would be like a Third Party candidate winning the presidency, possible, but a very long shot....

Not saying I agree with that, just saying that is the way it is...I do understand quite a few coaches have called and e-mailed resumes....this isn't Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama....those schools have the money to hire who they want and usually hire professional search outfits to search and recommend hires....I am sure there are some informal phone calls made, to assess interest, but the coach would still have to apply and may be asked to apply. Money is an issue here, also what teaching positions are open, comparing ORHS hiring to SEC D-1 Schools hiring is not even close...there was a lot of bad blood and flak over the last hiring, and I am sure they are going to go out of the way to be careful this time...

The informal call to several top notch coaches is exactly what I am talking about. We agree. Go after the coaches you want, and find out what it will take to get them. That's EXACTLY what the SEC schools do. It's the ONLY chance you have of getting the best available coach out there. It may not work out, but it is just plain stupid to collect resumes, and hire from that pool of applicants. If you want a great coach, then go after him. You may not get him, but it sure beats not trying at all.

As long as the pressent administration is in place at OR, Joe Gaddis will not be the coach at OR.

I would like to ask a few questions about the job.One how is the administration there are they willing to do what it takes to win?{I will tell you they have at least made one call}Two what type of booster club is in place is the support there?Three i know Oak Ridge has always had a strong program with good talent but is the talent still there just walking the halls.I believe Oak Ridge to be a great place and should have a team most years to compete for a state championship

1. Remains to be seen should be behind the new coach 100%, but that doesn't always mean much.

2. Can be the best in Tenn. hasn't been but will be back.

3. They were on the field they just weren't coached, people complained about Stanton but he had assts. and if they did their jobs....? Can you say clean sweep.

Something you didn't ask about rabid fans we got em!! Yep!

Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No way LL Kerr J gets hired at OR. He isn't very popular with the AD and asst. AD.

I can't see the staff being kept. A couple guys like Saunders and Keith Jackson should be kept because they're solid coaches but I'd dump all the other jokers (I think some already have been). They recently hired another assistant coach and a strength coach, which will make for an awkward situation if the new coach doesn't want to keep them.

I heard Keith Guthrie has or is going to pursue an assistant job...he'd be an excellent hire. He has high school HC experience (in Florida) and he has run a dominant program at R'Ville middle the last 4 or 5 years.

I heard Carringer offered the job to Ron Gray.......Gray accepted and was named head coach....then he resigned.......oh wait....that was a couple of other times.

Ole Dad

It is between Gaddis and his family. I won't be upset one bit if he's hired. He's a good coach, his players loved him yet he still maintained disciplined. That's what OR needs.

If that assistant you're referring to is Barry Saunders, he's still friends with Gaddis. They still text and talk. Barry was on Gaddis' staff, he knows what kind of coach he is and I seriously doubt he would purposely do something to keep Gaddis from getting hired. It was several of the female teachers that started phoning administration that morning when it was announced Gaddis was hired. They went with their second choice.

While it's true Gray has no HC experience, he's an intelligent coach and I have no doubt he could lead this program. If you actually knew him and didn't just know of him or new him a little, you would know that.

And if you knew Gray and knew what he brought to the table, you would know he would be excellent for the middle schools. He was the HC at JMS for 6 or 7 years I think and has a good relationship with their HC. His son will be playing their next year his other son will be the year after so he will do whats best for the middle schools. He also has a good relationship with Keith Guthrie at R'Ville.

The only drawback to hiring Ron Gray is that he'll be on a short leash and if he loses we'll have another HC in a couple years. He won't even get the same opportunities or slack that Stevens got. I don't see that happening but it will put a lot of pressure on him. He will utilize the talent though and OR would be much improved under his leadership.

I heard Carringer offered the job to Ron Gray.......Gray accepted and was named head coach....then he resigned.......oh wait....that was a couple of other times.

Ole Dad

I got a WILD idea. Ole Dad comes back to OR to be HC and I will come there to be his DC and Bounder will keep us both happy by supplying the ribs! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

JUST KIDDING!

Good Luck OR and Merry Christmas to all! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I've got a wilder idea. Carringer actually looks for a GREAT coach, like maybe in Florida and resurrects the program. St Thomas Aquinas (the number 1 team in the nation) played an undefeated and nationally ranked Lakeland for the State Championship of Florida 5A last night. St Thomas beat undefeated and top 10 in the nation Lakeland 56-7. Sounds like a coach I would want to speak with. Heck, the Lakeland coach, Pahokee, Plant City or 20 others that win state championships often and 14 games annually would be a great place to start interviewing.

Ole Dad

I got a WILD idea. Ole Dad comes back to OR to be HC and I will come there to be his DC and Bounder will keep us both happy by supplying the ribs! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

JUST KIDDING!

Good Luck OR and Merry Christmas to all! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sounds like some of the OR fans need a dose of reality. The administration is going to do what they want to and all of this talk about what they should do is not going to change a thing. There are only a few people who know what coaches have applied and which ones will be interviewed. Guess we should make sure that the facts don't get in the way of a good story or in the case of LLK, don't be confused by the facts when a lie will will do intstead.