New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

[has approached Ron Gray about what kind of staff he could put together. That is a 100% fact. I will be very surprised if he is not the new head coach

If that is indeed true then my son will not be attending Oak Ridge High school when it is his time.

" Let me get this straight, you were ok with your son going to OR when SS was the coach ..yet you are offended by Ron Gray?

Wow. What did he do that could even compare to SS?

I will find out where SS is going so you can send your kid there"

Did I say that I would be okay sending him there when SS was there? No. But thanks for putting words in my mouth. If RG is hired it will prove that no one on this committee or the administration has the programs best interest at heart.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Grey, Mike Mullins and his wife, and Barry Saunders are the ones that started the phone calls to the admin. when they found out Gaddis was the committees selection. They all wanted Grey. The Admin. new this and not only did not hire Gaddis but did not hire Grey because of his actions. It is all of their faults plus a few more that post on this board that wrote letters and made phone calls trying keep Gaddis from getting the job the last time. That is why we hired stevens and have stunk every since. Why would anyone want to bring in someone who had a hand in being responsible for out current situation.

Is there not a HEAD COACH that has applied that can lead this program? I know for a fact that there are SEVERAL more qualified HEAD COACHES that have applied for this job that makes RG's resume look like a post-it note.

Ron Grey, Mike Mullins and his wife, and Barry Saunders are the ones that started the phone calls to the admin. when they found out Gaddis was the committees selection. They all wanted Grey. The Admin. new this and not only did not hire Gaddis but did not hire Grey because of his actions. It is all of their faults plus a few more that post on this board that wrote letters and made phone calls trying keep Gaddis from getting the job the last time. That is why we hired stevens and have stunk every since. Why would anyone want to bring in someone who had a hand in being responsible for out current situation.

Is there not a HEAD COACH that has applied that can lead this program? I know for a fact that there are SEVERAL more qualified HEAD COACHES that have applied for this job that makes RG's resume look like a post-it note.

Bailey & Green are resp for SS being the coach, Period.. it's called AA. you figure that out, there were those who did not want Gaddis because of his baggage. (integrity issues) I do not want him back. Please do not tell me tht the AD his wife & Coach Saunders hired SS.

Even Ole Dad does not get that far fetched.

I don't understand this, people say Barry Saunders is such a great guy, he's a class act, he's this and that. Which is absolutely true, Barry is a great person and a very good coach. He's been coaching for 30+ years, so he's seen it all...he's seen bad coaches, he's seen good coaches, and he's seen just average coaches. Doesn't the fact that Barry Saunders is such good friends with Ron Gray and is campaigning so hard for Gray to get hired tell you anything? Barry loves Oak Ridge, he wouldn't push hard for a guy to be the head coach if he wasn't 100% absolutely sure this guy is the best thing for Oak Ridge. Even though these guys are close friends, I have zero doubt in my mind that if Barry didn't think Ron was right for the job, he wouldn't be so adamant that Ron was the right guy. Barry has no agenda, he could retire now, go back to the Florida Keys and be just fine...it's not like he's pushing for Ron just so he can have a job, he doesn't need it!

All I'm saying is, I've seen lots of people here say they trust Barry Saunders and Barry Saunders is a class act. And I talk to Barry a lot, and like I said, he is adamant that Ron Gray should be the next HC at OR. If you know Barry and you trust him, then give Ron a chance before you write him off and make life hard for him (which some people in OR tend to do).

If you want to trust the future of Oak Ridge football on Barry Saunders word then we might as well just not have a football program at Oak Ridge anymore. He's a good guy but thats about it. I dont understand why the people of Oak Ridge would settle for some assistant coach. Until the committee starts putting the programs best inerest at heart I expect more of the same incompetence from the last time. The simple fact that there a more qualified candidates than RG who have applied should make him the last resort if any at all.

Finally, somebody has it right.

I don't understand this, people say Barry Saunders is such a great guy, he's a class act, he's this and that. Which is absolutely true, Barry is a great person and a very good coach. He's been coaching for 30+ years, so he's seen it all...he's seen bad coaches, he's seen good coaches, and he's seen just average coaches. Doesn't the fact that Barry Saunders is such good friends with Ron Gray and is campaigning so hard for Gray to get hired tell you anything? Barry loves Oak Ridge, he wouldn't push hard for a guy to be the head coach if he wasn't 100% absolutely sure this guy is the best thing for Oak Ridge. Even though these guys are close friends, I have zero doubt in my mind that if Barry didn't think Ron was right for the job, he wouldn't be so adamant that Ron was the right guy. Barry has no agenda, he could retire now, go back to the Florida Keys and be just fine...it's not like he's pushing for Ron just so he can have a job, he doesn't need it!

All I'm saying is, I've seen lots of people here say they trust Barry Saunders and Barry Saunders is a class act. And I talk to Barry a lot, and like I said, he is adamant that Ron Gray should be the next HC at OR. If you know Barry and you trust him, then give Ron a chance before you write him off and make life hard for him (which some people in OR tend to do).

Saunders is a good guy. We agree on that. But the way you get a guy hired is on his own merits, not by tearing down someone else. If a guy can't get hired on his own merits, then he doesn't need to be hired at all. If people must resort to tearing down someone else, then he doesn't have enough merits himself. Another thing, an applicant shouldn't be going around bashing others to teenage football players at OR. It happened four years ago, and I am sure it's happening again. Like I said, get the job on your own positive merits, which should not include negative attacks on others. I have a question. Why would a guy ask teenage football players to write letters for him, in order to get a job? Am I the only person who finds that strange?

Saunders is a good guy. We agree on that. But the way you get a guy hired is on his own merits, not by tearing down someone else. If a guy can't get hired on his own merits, then he doesn't need to be hired at all. If people must resort to tearing down someone else, then he doesn't have enough merits himself. Another thing, an applicant shouldn't be going around bashing others to teenage football players at OR. It happened four years ago, and I am sure it's happening again. Like I said, get the job on your own positive merits, which should not include negative attacks on others. I have a question. Why would a guy ask teenage football players to write letters for him, in order to get a job? Am I the only person who finds that strange?

as in any major decision you have a group o fpeople that want one thing and another something else. I agree attacking other potenial coaches is not the best thing but, first of all most of the time no one knows what as been said or done, fine example, there as been at LEAST 10 plus post that say the job belongs to, well we see no one yet. My point unless you are part of the hiring process you probably don't have a clue to what has happen or what was said and as far as players writing letters, they are the ones that have to be coached by whoever is hired, not parents not the 500 plus posters on here or the administration, the kids, and if anyone should have a say in helping to make the decision it should be them, not the folks that pay there five dollars to play SATURDAY MORNING QB.

as in any major decision you have a group o fpeople that want one thing and another something else. I agree attacking other potenial coaches is not the best thing but, first of all most of the time no one knows what as been said or done, fine example, there as been at LEAST 10 plus post that say the job belongs to, well we see no one yet. My point unless you are part of the hiring process you probably don't have a clue to what has happen or what was said and as far as players writing letters, they are the ones that have to be coached by whoever is hired, not parents not the 500 plus posters on here or the administration, the kids, and if anyone should have a say in helping to make the decision it should be them, not the folks that pay there five dollars to play SATURDAY MORNING QB.

I agree with you in that I also have no clue. I must put my faith in the "process". I hope that it works out.

I'm not saying hire the guy just because Barry Saunders says say, I was speaking more to his character. I get the impression people here think he's something he's not. He's a high character guy, he's blunt and opinionated but he's a high character guy. And I don't know how someone could say otherwise if they don't actually know him....I'm not talking about meeting him once or twice or talking for 10 min. or having a friend that knows him. I dare someone to sit down and talk with him for even 30 min. about his philosophy, his beliefs, his background, etc. If you do that, there is absolutely NO WAY you would come away still saying he isn't the right guy for Oak Ridge. He's a good person who would give you the shirt of his back if you needed it. If you're basing your opinions on what you heard a friend of a friend say or what's been said here in the this thread, then you're not informed because like David Clary said a couple pages ago, there are a lot of half truths. I've said this several times, if you want to know him, he will gladly talk to you and tell you what you want to know. If you don't want to actually take the time to do that and would rather just base your opinions on rumors, then go ahead, but don't continue to spread rumors.

If you are truly an Oak Ridge fan then you should do your best to support the new coach until he proves whether he belongs or doesn't belong. Just like Stevens, if the team gets worse after 2 seasons then there's nothing wrong with saying you have doubts or whatever. But until he proves something either way, I think it's important for the program that people show their support for the coach and the players but not dragging them through the mud.

Having said that, this is the internet and there's absolutely nothing I can do about people saying bad things. Some of you obviously have your minds made up to hate him and I respect your opinions.

I'm not saying hire the guy just because Barry Saunders says say, I was speaking more to his character. I get the impression people here think he's something he's not. He's a high character guy, he's blunt and opinionated but he's a high character guy. And I don't know how someone could say otherwise if they don't actually know him....I'm not talking about meeting him once or twice or talking for 10 min. or having a friend that knows him. I dare someone to sit down and talk with him for even 30 min. about his philosophy, his beliefs, his background, etc. If you do that, there is absolutely NO WAY you would come away still saying he isn't the right guy for Oak Ridge. He's a good person who would give you the shirt of his back if you needed it. If you're basing your opinions on what you heard a friend of a friend say or what's been said here in the this thread, then you're not informed because like David Clary said a couple pages ago, there are a lot of half truths. I've said this several times, if you want to know him, he will gladly talk to you and tell you what you want to know. If you don't want to actually take the time to do that and would rather just base your opinions on rumors, then go ahead, but don't continue to spread rumors.

If you are truly an Oak Ridge fan then you should do your best to support the new coach until he proves whether he belongs or doesn't belong. Just like Stevens, if the team gets worse after 2 seasons then there's nothing wrong with saying you have doubts or whatever. But until he proves something either way, I think it's important for the program that people show their support for the coach and the players but not dragging them through the mud.

well said vellram!!!!!

Having said that, this is the internet and there's absolutely nothing I can do about people saying bad things. Some of you obviously have your minds made up to hate him and I respect your opinions.

well said vellram!!!!!

If you want to trust the future of Oak Ridge football on Barry Saunders word then we might as well just not have a football program at Oak Ridge anymore. He's a good guy but thats about it. I dont understand why the people of Oak Ridge would settle for some assistant coach. Until the committee starts putting the programs best inerest at heart I expect more of the same incompetence from the last time. The simple fact that there a more qualified candidates than RG who have applied should make him the last resort if any at all.

Didn't the more qualified canidate back out? Who else are you talking about?