New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Am I the only one that hasn't seen an official announcement as to who the new coach really is? I don't care what your son's girl friends cousin said, I want to hear it from Chuck Carringer! Then we can cry and whine or rejoice depending on who you wanted.

I have also missed that announcement. My point is that we should oppose any candidate who is soliciting current players to write letters for him, in order to secure the job. My next point is that we should oppose any candidate who is tearing down others, in order to secure the job. My third point is that we should not select an unproven assistant, whose strong point is undermining whomever happens to be his head coach, even if by doing that, we are taking away his strength. In conclusion, we should oppose any candidate who creates constant turmoil, and is the source of continuous gossip, wherever he is coaching. If a candidate who meets those characteristics should exist, then we should oppose him. I, like you, eagerly await Carringer's announcement.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't anyone think it's possible that maybe Coach Gray told the kids "hey guys I'm going to need all the support I can get because there are other good candidates, so if you want to do something to help, that would be great"? If you actually knew Coach Gray, that sounds more realistic than him pulling a kid aside and asking him for help...that is not his style. He's not the kind of coach who buddies up to the players and becomes a friend....he's takes more of a mentor/father role. He doesn't need help from kids which is why this is bogus in my opinion. I will probably have lunch with him soon so I will make a point to ask him about this and I will tell you the whole story from the source instead of second hand accounts.

What evidence do you have that he tore down other candidates? Did you hear that from a kids parent also? You've said who you heard about the supposed letter writing but you've yet to tell me about this tearing down other candidates? Which candidates specifically? What did he supposedly say?

I'm not attacking people here, that's not what I'm trying to do. I see a few people here slandering a close personal friend of mine and I'm going to defend him. There has been no announcement, I never said there was. All I said was that OR has approached him to find out what kind of staff he could put together which I'm sure they've done for other candidates. I will tell you one thing, Gray won't be going back to Catholic this year. If he doesn't get the OR job then I think there's a significant chance he'll move down and coach at Jefferson Middle. His son will be playing this year.

It seems that there are a lot of opinions about this coach that coach and everyone has the answer. I know the OR faithful is just dying to get coach John Reid to OR, a coach that has had tremendous success winning state championships and going to Ga. and turning a program around but, he also has some issues starting with the fact that he does not stay anywhere very long, he speaks to the players with very very foul word choices and seems to feel like everyone should do whatever he ask because if you DON'T he will leave. I have seen this with my own eyes and know for sure that this coach will come in and be gone in a couple of years after he has made enough people made and it??™s time to move on to his next conquer. Its JUST HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL FOLKS, GET A CLUE THAT YOUNG MEAN THESE DAYS NEEDS SOMEONE TO TEACH THEM ABOUT ALOT MORE THAN Xs and Os. Standards are pretty low as long as the coach wins, regardless of the path to get there. Posters on here seem to be happy to look over issues that some coaches have had and then crucify others for making minimal mistakes. Judge a guy once you find out the truths not by rumors, judge a guy on character issues and not as much on Xs Os then maybe we will have young men that can make the grades and stay out of trouble.

Seems to me that Ron Gray is a good hands on coach when dealing with the players ,which is important ,but lets look at the baggage of job mishandlings and drama he brings with him.....

1) offered the Alcoa job and turned it down bc he believed he would get the OR job when Lussier left

2) went to Bearden after not getting the OR job and proceeded to self promote himself as the man who should be the head coach which divided the team and their parents

3) turned down the Bearden job bc he thought Alcoa would offer him the job again only to leave him hanging which led to his demise at Bearden

4) Karns.......nuff said

5) Hired at Catholic, runs off the OL coach in already in place there, again tries to undermine the head coach and put himself in a position to take over only to be beaten to the punch when he's not first choice at OR again and now probably won't return to KCHS

Every school he goes to its the same song and dance, does great with the players individually but divides the team and causes contreversy.

Another year, another new team for RG......and this is the guy you think will lead OR back to glory?

It seems that there are a lot of opinions about this coach that coach and everyone has the answer. I know the OR faithful is just dying to get coach John Reid to OR, a coach that has had tremendous success winning state championships and going to Ga. and turning a program around but, he also has some issues starting with the fact that he does not stay anywhere very long, he speaks to the players with very very foul word choices and seems to feel like everyone should do whatever he ask because if you DON'T he will leave. I have seen this with my own eyes and know for sure that this coach will come in and be gone in a couple of years after he has made enough people made and it??™s time to move on to his next conquer. Its JUST HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL FOLKS, GET A CLUE THAT YOUNG MEAN THESE DAYS NEEDS SOMEONE TO TEACH THEM ABOUT ALOT MORE THAN Xs and Os. Standards are pretty low as long as the coach wins, regardless of the path to get there. Posters on here seem to be happy to look over issues that some coaches have had and then crucify others for making minimal mistakes. Judge a guy once you find out the truths not by rumors, judge a guy on character issues and not as much on Xs Os then maybe we will have young men that can make the grades and stay out of trouble.

Who is your choice?

Seems to me that Ron Gray is a good hands on coach when dealing with the players ,which is important ,but lets look at the baggage of job mishandlings and drama he brings with him.....

1) offered the Alcoa job and turned it down bc he believed he would get the OR job when Lussier left

2) went to Bearden after not getting the OR job and proceeded to self promote himself as the man who should be the head coach which divided the team and their parents

3) turned down the Bearden job bc he thought Alcoa would offer him the job again only to leave him hanging which led to his demise at Bearden

4) Karns.......nuff said

5) Hired at Catholic, runs off the OL coach in already in place there, again tries to undermine the head coach and put himself in a position to take over only to be beaten to the punch when he's not first choice at OR again and now probably won't return to KCHS

Every school he goes to its the same song and dance, does great with the players individually but divides the team and causes contreversy.

Another year, another new team for RG......and this is the guy you think will lead OR back to glory?

Who is your choice?

VilleRam,

I wonder how close of a personal friend you are to Mr. Gray. In the past you have made reference to his son(s) playing football for the Boy's Club and Jefferson.

I'll try to be delicate. As someone who has seen many of the kids' games, don't put too much stock in his sons ever playing football. Coaching his son will have no bearing on where he goes.

But, I think he would be an excellent fit for Jefferson.

Doesn't anyone think it's possible that maybe Coach Gray told the kids "hey guys I'm going to need all the support I can get because there are other good candidates, so if you want to do something to help, that would be great"? If you actually knew Coach Gray, that sounds more realistic than him pulling a kid aside and asking him for help...that is not his style. He's not the kind of coach who buddies up to the players and becomes a friend....he's takes more of a mentor/father role. He doesn't need help from kids which is why this is bogus in my opinion. I will probably have lunch with him soon so I will make a point to ask him about this and I will tell you the whole story from the source instead of second hand accounts.

What evidence do you have that he tore down other candidates? Did you hear that from a kids parent also? You've said who you heard about the supposed letter writing but you've yet to tell me about this tearing down other candidates? Which candidates specifically? What did he supposedly say?

I'm not attacking people here, that's not what I'm trying to do. I see a few people here slandering a close personal friend of mine and I'm going to defend him. There has been no announcement, I never said there was. All I said was that OR has approached him to find out what kind of staff he could put together which I'm sure they've done for other candidates. I will tell you one thing, Gray won't be going back to Catholic this year. If he doesn't get the OR job then I think there's a significant chance he'll move down and coach at Jefferson Middle. His son will be playing this year.

YOU are becoming the source! I have never mentioned a name in association with the problems that I have with a certain candidate. Everytime I mention specific problems, you rush to the defense of your friend. That tells us who YOU think that I am talking about. YOU are, in modern terms, "throwing your own friend under the bus"! I have slandered no one. YOU keep defending him against NO ATTACK from me. I just keep telling anyone who is interested, what I don't think we need, and you immediately assume I am talking about your friend. That is very telling. While we are on the subject of slander, I will make yet another plea. I personally oppose any candidate who constantly slanders others competing with him for the job. The guy that I am talking about has made an "art form" out of pulling players aside, and using them for his own personal gain. Self promotion is another great strength of his, along with causing turmoil wherever he is coaching.

to reply to bladerunner ...i would choose Pemberton, but he seems to think he's too important to come to OR, my second choice would be Scott Blade from hillsboro, i think fresh blood and a break from the drama is what is needed, someone who has no inside connections or personal stake in all of this other than to coach the team. no backroom handshakes, no playing favorites for the people on the hill.

VilleRam,

I wonder how close of a personal friend you are to Mr. Gray. In the past you have made reference to his son(s) playing football for the Boy's Club and Jefferson.

I'll try to be delicate. As someone who has seen many of the kids' games, don't put too much stock in his sons ever playing football. Coaching his son will have no bearing on where he goes.

But, I think he would be an excellent fit for Jefferson.

His son played at Boys Club this past year and will play at Jefferson this year. You can't play middle school before 7th grade and he will be a 7th grader in the fall. His younger son will play Boys Club.

I'm not saying it will have a bearing on where he goes but if he doesn't get the OR job, he has told me he will go to Jefferson most likely. Part of it is that he can keep an eye on his boy and part because he wants to be there.

To be honest, I probably shouldn't be talking about his kids because he's a strong family man and I know he wouldn't appreciate them being brought up. I thought I would just clear that up though.

YOU are becoming the source! I have never mentioned a name in association with the problems that I have with a certain candidate. Everytime I mention specific problems, you rush to the defense of your friend. That tells us who YOU think that I am talking about. YOU are, in modern terms, "throwing your own friend under the bus"! I have slandered no one. YOU keep defending him against NO ATTACK from me. I just keep telling anyone who is interested, what I don't think we need, and you immediately assume I am talking about your friend. That is very telling. While we are on the subject of slander, I will make yet another plea. I personally oppose any candidate who constantly slanders others competing with him for the job. The guy that I am talking about has made an "art form" out of pulling players aside, and using them for his own personal gain. Self promotion is another great strength of his, along with causing turmoil wherever he is coaching.

You're argument is stupid. We've been talking about the same guy for several pages, if you're talking about someone else, say it. If you're not talking about anyone, stop repeating the same thing. This is a dumb game and I don't think you're actually talking about anyone I think you're just making up stuff to try and spread rumors. In the middle of a conversation about a certain coach and you write "he asked kids to write letters for him!" so people will think you're talking about the same guy as everyone else and a rumor gets started. Maybe you're having a good laugh at this game, that's fine but I'm going to make dam sure people you're not talking about Ron Gray. He's a good man and a good coach.