New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your program is very unattractive to coaches that are serious about football. If you can't bring in your assistants, as I have heard, then what makes it attractive? Your tradition will not win any games for you next year. Make a commitment to football by hiring a staff, not just a coach. Or don't, and get what you get.

You are probably more accurate than I want you to be. That goes back to what I said earlier about our administration not caring about football, like administrations of the past. Not only do they not care, they seem to know nothing about the game either. I hope there is someone, anyone, on the committee, that understands what needs to be done, and will at least speak up.

You are probably more accurate than I want you to be. That goes back to what I said earlier about our administration not caring about football, like administrations of the past. Not only do they not care, they seem to know nothing about the game either. I hope there is someone, anyone, on the committee, that understands what needs to be done, and will at least speak up.

I actually agree with you on this.

I actually agree with you on this.

It was inevitable that we would agree on something! Now let me say the following about the Blade rumor (I am sure this will cement the fact that people think I can't be satisfied). He satisfies what I want in that he is a proven winner, and has won at least one championship. My question about him is this. Can he take a program and turn it around? We don't have the talent at the present time that Hillsboro had, as I watched them beat Maryville. Hillsboro was 51-9 the five years before he got there, which included a state championship. He didn't have to improve the program, because it was already top knotch. He walked into a bunch of talent at Hillsboro, and that will not be the case here. He may be the guy we need, but the only thing we know about him is that he can take a bunch of talent, and win a championship at a school that wins big every year. We need more than that here. We currently do not have a bunch of talent, although help may be on the way. I want to see our program back where it belongs, and I refuse to believe that the glory days are over. My main concern is our administration, and our search committee. They both appear to be misguided train wrecks, just waiting to happen.

Ok I see the records & I am not saying that it is a good one, but consider where they are at. All head coaches can not be judged by records especially at the HS level. Campbell County a perennial cellar dwellar before Wells took over. He has rebuilt them & has taken them to the schools only 3 play-off appearances & finshed 2nd behind DB in the region standings about 4 years ago. If you look up the georgia school he rebuilt that program & took them to the play-offs as well. Someone that rebuilds programs & has college coaching experience has to be very knowledgeable of the game. I dont know him but would think that he knows what he is doing. Also, having seen the Campbell vs Bearden games know that CC shows up to play & looks fundamentally sound.

You're argument has some merit, but this is how I see it.

http://ghsfha.org/coaches.php?gName=Wells,%20Dewayne

Twiggs County before Wells: 1996 Four wins, six losses. 1997 Six wins, five losses.

Twiggs County with Wellss: 1998 Six wins, four losses. 1999 Six wins, 5 losses. 2000 One win, nine losses.

I don't see where he "rebuilt" that program. You're arguement doesn't hold water.

Tusculum. 1995 Three wins, six losses. 1996 One win, nine losses. 1997 Two wins, nine losses. I don't see that as buiding a program, either.

I can't argue a bit about Campbell County improving. But, I still think we can do better.

To touch on what rallycat said about "help may be on the way"

There is a TON of talent and size in the middle schools and Boy's club. The challenge to the Oak Ridge community is " How do we get them to the varsity level?". MANY of these kids have the odds against them ever making it. It will be hard enough to keep kids off the streets, keep them eligible, and keep them interested.

We must regain some pride in the program, give them something worth working towards, and the discipline to get there. Used to be, kids transferred into OR, now kids leave to go somewhere else (Clinton). The new coach must be able to unite the town. Not divide it down the middle from day one. This is the administration's challenge. Although this message board doesn't reflect it, most of the community that is interested in football, is salivating for a proven winner. We will back him (until he is not prepared in the state title game, fights with other coaches, and displays a knife).

I may not be in the "inner circle" with knowledge of interviews and leading candidates. But I do know of a large number of people that want their sons, nephews, and family friends to be part of something special. Fours years of pride, discipline (on and off the field), motivation, goals and to be better young men because of it. I know these families personally. They will support a coach that can come in be a strong, positive, dedicated influence and YES !, winning is a large part of it.

The talent will be there soon. The talent was already there over the last three years. It just wasn't developed.

OK so he can win championships & the guy at Campbell can rebuild programs maybe you should hire co-head coaches. you are acting ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is our administration and our search committee. And if you like the way that they operate, then you can add yourself to the list. I would take Blade or Pemberton over ANY OTHER NAME that I have heard has applied, or has been contacted. I NEVER want the Campbell County coach to be our choice, even if it's Pete Carroll.

Yes you are absolutely right there is a lot of talent coming up. Jefferson and Robertsville should have pretty good years record wise as they changed leagues and their schedules a step down from previous years (no Clinton, Jacksboro, or Lenoir City). Hopefully this will mean they will have confidence going into HS...that's something Jefferson kids haven't had in several years. Jefferson is starting the year at home against Maryville though so their record might not be perfect.

I just hope the new coach will be involved with what the middle schools are doing so they can be true feeder programs. Not to beat a dead horse, but that's one area where Ron Gray will excel as he was the former HC at Jefferson and has a lot of respect for Keith Guthrie at R'ville (as do I). Guthrie is one guy I really hope is brought up to the high school because he is an excellent coach and has HS experience (HC in Florida and coached at Farragut). He's run a very good program at Robertsville the last 5 years (I guess that's what it's been?).

Yes you are absolutely right there is a lot of talent coming up. Jefferson and Robertsville should have pretty good years record wise as they changed leagues and their schedules a step down from previous years (no Clinton, Jacksboro, or Lenoir City). Hopefully this will mean they will have confidence going into HS...that's something Jefferson kids haven't had in several years. Jefferson is starting the year at home against Maryville though so their record might not be perfect.

I just hope the new coach will be involved with what the middle schools are doing so they can be true feeder programs. Not to beat a dead horse, but that's one area where Ron Gray will excel as he was the former HC at Jefferson and has a lot of respect for Keith Guthrie at R'ville (as do I). Guthrie is one guy I really hope is brought up to the high school because he is an excellent coach and has HS experience (HC in Florida and coached at Farragut). He's run a very good program at Robertsville the last 5 years (I guess that's what it's been?).

Where did you get your information about the middle school schedules? I don't know about Jefferson but Robertsville played all of those teams last year and have been playing them.

The middle schools do have some talented athletes coming up though, but that's always been the case. The problem is like someone said earlier, it won't matter if those athletes can't stay in school.