New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

I was told that Oak Ridge interviewed the Head coach of Campbell County High. Wells I believe it is. Campbell is not a very good program but he has taken a school with minimal talent to the play-offs 3 times including back to back appearances the last 2 seasons, that is more appearances than Oak Ridge the past 2 seasons. I also heard that he was once the head man at Tusculum college.

Dewayne Wells: Tusculum HC 95-97; 6 wins 24 losses.

Twiggs County, GA HC 98-00; 13 wins 18 losses (if this is the same Dewayne Wells)

Campbell County HC 01-08 38 wins 76 losses

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean no disrespect to the Campbell County coach, but I must say this. Has our program sunk so low that OAK RIDGE would consider hiring the CAMPBELL COUNTY head coach? The fact that he was once at Tusculum doesnt mean much to me either. Am I missing something? Is Tusculum a football power? What is going on? Does ANYONE on our committee know ANYTHING about football? Does anyone on our committee CARE anything about football?

I could bring Pete Carroll & you would say he was terrible in the NFL wouldn't you?

Ok I see the records & I am not saying that it is a good one, but consider where they are at. All head coaches can not be judged by records especially at the HS level. Campbell County a perennial cellar dwellar before Wells took over. He has rebuilt them & has taken them to the schools only 3 play-off appearances & finshed 2nd behind DB in the region standings about 4 years ago. If you look up the georgia school he rebuilt that program & took them to the play-offs as well. Someone that rebuilds programs & has college coaching experience has to be very knowledgeable of the game. I dont know him but would think that he knows what he is doing. Also, having seen the Campbell vs Bearden games know that CC shows up to play & looks fundamentally sound.

Now I have no dog in the fight but who do you want rallykat? You dont want Gray because he has no head coaching experience, you dont want Wells because his head coaching experience is at places that doesnt have much talent. Do you want anyone? Is anyone good enough for this job? PS if someone can turn Campbell County which was once a laughing stock into a play-off contender then what could they do with the talent like Oak Ridge has?

By the way Campbell has been to the play-offs 2 of the last 3 years while Oak Ridge has sat at home 2 of the last 3 years.

I would agree that you are going to pick on whoever is mentioned, I am not too sure anyone will be good enough for you.

If you will check all of my posts, you will find that I have picked on no one. I do not want ANY coach from Campbell County, especially one with a losing record. Do you? I have never even mentioned another coach, other than Pete Carroll. I have been consistent in saying what I DON'T WANT in a coach, and that seems to bother you and VilleRam. I wonder why?

Ok I see the records & I am not saying that it is a good one, but consider where they are at. All head coaches can not be judged by records especially at the HS level. Campbell County a perennial cellar dwellar before Wells took over. He has rebuilt them & has taken them to the schools only 3 play-off appearances & finshed 2nd behind DB in the region standings about 4 years ago. If you look up the georgia school he rebuilt that program & took them to the play-offs as well. Someone that rebuilds programs & has college coaching experience has to be very knowledgeable of the game. I dont know him but would think that he knows what he is doing. Also, having seen the Campbell vs Bearden games know that CC shows up to play & looks fundamentally sound.

Now I have no dog in the fight but who do you want rallykat? You dont want Gray because he has no head coaching experience, you dont want Wells because his head coaching experience is at places that doesnt have much talent. Do you want anyone? Is anyone good enough for this job? PS if someone can turn Campbell County which was once a laughing stock into a play-off contender then what could they do with the talent like Oak Ridge has?

By the way Campbell has been to the play-offs 2 of the last 3 years while Oak Ridge has sat at home 2 of the last 3 years.

I don't have a specific candidate that I want. I have said before that I want a proven winner as a head coach, and hopefully someone who has won championships. Has our program become so unattractive that we must settle for less?

I don't have a specific candidate that I want. I have said before that I want a proven winner as a head coach, and hopefully someone who has won championships. Has our program become so unattractive that we must settle for less?

Your program is very unattractive to coaches that are serious about football. If you can't bring in your assistants, as I have heard, then what makes it attractive? Your tradition will not win any games for you next year. Make a commitment to football by hiring a staff, not just a coach. Or don't, and get what you get.