New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

If you don't think the powers that be have abandoned football at OR for basketball (spent $6M on a new gym and have spent about $6 on Blankenship in the last 10 years) then explain how 66% of the search committee is made up of OR basketball coaches? So the basketball coaches are selecting the new football coach. That has to make you feel warm and fuzzy if you love OR football.

Ole Dad

I have heard rumors of who the committee members may be, and if you are correct, this borders the absurd. I don't think the administration knows anything about football, and they really don't care. If they had, they would have put together a REAL committee, and gone out and get the coach they wanted, no matter what. I do not have a good feeling about the outcome. I hope I am wrong.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad, it is odd that you have a search for a new football coach and you don't have one football person on the committee. Especially odd that it is during basketball season, like a basketball coach has nothing else to do. Very poor planning from the start but probably a personal agenda there. Sure has been slow and none of the names that we know have been interviewed are very impressive by OR standards. Hope the caretakers of the program realize how important this is to so many.

The "caretakers" of the program are JOKES...every last one of them!

I have heard rumors of who the committee members may be, and if you are correct, this borders the absurd. I don't think the administration knows anything about football, and they really don't care. If they had, they would have put together a REAL committee, and gone out and get the coach they wanted, no matter what. I do not have a good feeling about the outcome. I hope I am wrong.

Soon, all ORHS sports will die, because the football gate will no longer produce enough revenue to support a one member tennis team. The administration just doesn't care about sports.

It reminds me of "Revenge of the Nerds" when all the jocks were no longer important and the nerds ruled. Thanks, in advance, Dr. Bailey. Maybe we can get 9,000 fans to watch the OR/Maryville Brain Bowl.

I don't understand why a guy like Dan Digregorio isn't on the committee (unless he didn't want to be)? He has a significant football background and he's familiar with Oak Ridge Schools (school board member). Heck I would have liked to have seen a guy like Keith Guthrie on it because he's a former high school coach and he doesn't do anything but football and track (which doesn't start for a week or 2) so he has free time right now. Not to knock Ricky Norris or Jill Prudden, but they're busy and they don't have a football background. I don't know who else is on the committee but Mike Mullins is the only one I know of with a significant football background (by significant I mean has coached several years). I know he's working to death with this, we had lunch about a month ago and he was worn out then. Mullins has OR's best interest at heart, but it sounds like he's having to work around the same crap that every other football person is.

I mean no disrespect to the Campbell County coach, but I must say this. Has our program sunk so low that OAK RIDGE would consider hiring the CAMPBELL COUNTY head coach? The fact that he was once at Tusculum doesnt mean much to me either. Am I missing something? Is Tusculum a football power? What is going on? Does ANYONE on our committee know ANYTHING about football? Does anyone on our committee CARE anything about football?

RALLY KAT , You said you mean no disrespect to C.C., but then you said "Has our program sunk so low that O.R. would consider hiring C.C. coach. Whatever.... Don't worry, Coach Wells is not leaving C.C. He never was going to leave. WHY?? would he want to go to O.R. ??? Hey, if you don't find a Head Coach soon HIRE RALLYKAT!!!!! ha! ha!

Who do you want to see on the committee? A football guy? Barry Saunders & Ron Gray are the only two I can think of right now, Ron can't, so that would leave one football guy there. Who do you have in mind?

I don't understand why a guy like Dan Digregorio isn't on the committee (unless he didn't want to be)? He has a significant football background and he's familiar with Oak Ridge Schools (school board member). Heck I would have liked to have seen a guy like Keith Guthrie on it because he's a former high school coach and he doesn't do anything but football and track (which doesn't start for a week or 2) so he has free time right now. Not to knock Ricky Norris or Jill Prudden, but they're busy and they don't have a football background. I don't know who else is on the committee but Mike Mullins is the only one I know of with a significant football background (by significant I mean has coached several years). I know he's working to death with this, we had lunch about a month ago and he was worn out then. Mullins has OR's best interest at heart, but it sounds like he's having to work around the same crap that every other football person is.

I agree with you on DD. I disagree on KG. RN would be OK but the wrong time of the year. The AD is ALWAYS worn out, he doesn't handle pressure well. He is probably in over his head with no good leader around him to call upon. Just my opinion. Overall, I agree with you.

RALLY KAT , You said you mean no disrespect to C.C., but then you said "Has our program sunk so low that O.R. would consider hiring C.C. coach. Whatever.... Don't worry, Coach Wells is not leaving C.C. He never was going to leave. WHY?? would he want to go to O.R. ??? Hey, if you don't find a Head Coach soon HIRE RALLYKAT!!!!! ha! ha!

I do apologize for the way my message sounds. I am sure he is a good coach, I want someone who has won BIG. I don't thi9nk we are to the point where we must go to Campbell County to hire a football coach. Thanks for your support, but like many others, I am not interested in the job.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Now I see how SS burning SB's bridge while cruising to metro with gilligan and runtheball over to Indy, SH, or Centennial have so much to do with Oak Ridge football. By the way, who is SS? In Oak Ridge, that means Stanton Stevens, a very key part of the situation we're in.

I think you were just distracted by the single most annoying first day poster ever.

Scott Smith - Science Hill

Who do you want to see on the committee? A football guy? Barry Saunders & Ron Gray are the only two I can think of right now, Ron can't, so that would leave one football guy there. Who do you have in mind?

I actually think community members who care about football are good to have on the the committee. A faculty member and a coach of another sport are good as well. That's the way it's always been done. We have always had pretty good coaches doing it that way. I have no one specifically in mind, but that is the outline that has been used in the past, and it has always worked. Our current committee and administrations are the jokes of the entire state.

I actually think community members who care about football are good to have on the the committee. A faculty member and a coach of another sport are good as well. That's the way it's always been done. We have always had pretty good coaches doing it that way. I have no one specifically in mind, but that is the outline that has been used in the past, and it has always worked. Our current committee and administrations are the jokes of the entire state.

So you have a huge problem with who we have but you have no one in mind. Some of your posts are posts about nothing.

there is this book called the one minute Manager, it says if you bring a problem to the table, make sure you bring a propossed solution, otherwise it is just complaining.

So you have a huge problem with who we have but you have no one in mind. Some of your posts are posts about nothing.

there is this book called the one minute Manager, it says if you bring a problem to the table, make sure you bring a propossed solution, otherwise it is just complaining.

Let's face, you don't like anything I have to say, and I don't care. I thought I was pretty clear. I said we should have a community member (let's say from the Boys Club). We should also have someone from the football boosters. We should have a faculty member (it doesn't matter who). We should have a coach from another sport (we have that, but it's the wrong time of the year for him). What about that don't you understand? I am telling you what I would like to see on the committee. I don't need to read your book, in order to know what I would like to see on the committee. My advice to you, is to read the book again, so YOU will understand it.