New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

If these rumors are true, then we need to look within our own administration, or our search committee to find the problem. This would be at least twice in the last four years, that our committees have offered the job to someone, only to have it turned down. What is the problem?

It could be as simple as the last two candidates were already in good situations and only used the this as leverage to get more money or the Oak Ridge job is not as appealing as some of us would like to think.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a guess here, but I would bet they are not letting him bring in assisstants. From what I have heard there have been quite a few applicants that have already withdrawn their name for that reason. I saw someone on here say earlier that this isnt college you cant come in & clean house. That is a very WRONG statement. A head coach can hire whomever he wants as his assistants & they do not have to keep anyone that they do not want. Most schools try to hire in at least 2 other teachers for the new HC, usually his coordinators. & because you cant get teaching positions for everyone the new HC usually hires some guys from the previous staff as assistants.

If Oak Ridge is telling the new HC that they will hire him, but he has to keep every member of the previous staff & cant bring in anyone else, then good luck you will only find someone who desperately wants a job to do that.

Just a guess here, but I would bet they are not letting him bring in assisstants. From what I have heard there have been quite a few applicants that have already withdrawn their name for that reason. I saw someone on here say earlier that this isnt college you cant come in & clean house. That is a very WRONG statement. A head coach can hire whomever he wants as his assistants & they do not have to keep anyone that they do not want. Most schools try to hire in at least 2 other teachers for the new HC, usually his coordinators. & because you cant get teaching positions for everyone the new HC usually hires some guys from the previous staff as assistants.

If Oak Ridge is telling the new HC that they will hire him, but he has to keep every member of the previous staff & cant bring in anyone else, then good luck you will only find someone who desperately wants a job to do that.

You are correct. I don't know how realistic it is to "clean house", but the new coach better be able to bring the main guys that he wants. If that means "creating" a position or two, or shuffling people around, then they better be prepared to do that. Otherwise, we better be prepared to have a "desperate" or "mediocre" head coach, or both.

Word on the street says that Coach Pemberton has turned the position down and will remain at Catholic. Pretty good source on that, by the way. I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it, but I believe it to be accurate.

I've said all along that I heard Pemberton has a pretty sweet deal at Catholic down thru the grapevine, and couldn't see him leaving. Especially winning the state last year, I would think that he is in a comfortable position in K-Town.

I hope that's not true. That staff was a big part of Steven's downfall. There are 1 maybe 2 guys I would keep from that staff, let the rest go find jobs elsewhere. That's extremely disappointing if that's true.

Well Im sure that there are coaches in west knoxville, roane co. or other parts of anderson co. that would love to work there & are close enough to drive over after school to coach if they cant get a teaching position opened up for them. The only problem with that would be Wednesdays, I know Oak ridge gets out of school early on Wed. & the other school systems do not. Does the football team start practice early on Wed. or do the teachers still have to work until 3:30?

I hope that's not true. That staff was a big part of Steven's downfall. There are 1 maybe 2 guys I would keep from that staff, let the rest go find jobs elsewhere. That's extremely disappointing if that's true.

VilleRam, totally agree with you on the staff. The special teams have steadily gone down the last few years. I don't believe we made one field goal this year and missed several Pats. Roger's returns were all him being athletic. Our punter was very good but our coverage was average at best. I hope the new coach will do something to make special teams Special again.

Does the football team start practice early on Wed. or do the teachers still have to work until 3:30?

A few of Knox County High Schools get out of school early on different days.. However, the teachers are slated to work their normal schedules... LAstly, any sports teams that practice on the days they get out early will practice at the normal times..

And when will OR name its coach? I can't believe Catholic coach turned it down.. But then again I do, he knows if he makes it to the Championship game his first year and not win, you fans would turn on him like yall did Stevens /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Ok, I had to throw one in there.. But for real, when will the coach be named?