New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Personally, from experience, I don't trust a lot of the guys on the former staff. Phil Thompson and Barry Saunders are the only 2 I would believe if they told me something like this. And even if it happened while he was at Bearden or Karns, they had places he could have watched tape, there's nothing special about Oak Ridge that he would need to have used their offices. I'm not being defensive or attacking, it just doesn't make sense.

I don't care what anyone thinks of him, I just try to set the record straight when people call him a back stabber or a liar (not talking about you). I just tell people what I know of the guy, from personal experience. Some people here don't know him personally or otherwise and I think it's crappy when all they read is he's a liar or a whatever because then they think that's the truth. That's all I'm trying to do when I refute someones point. I understand your post was more an indictment of Mullins and I agree with you that he probably has his mind made up of who he wants to hire. I don't have faith in those people either.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact that Ron Gray is what Oak Ridge football needs. You can try and bring in a coach that has 10 state championships, and he couldn't get the job done. Ron knows OR football and knows what it needs to be "fixed" after Stanton almost destroyed the program.

I know a bunch of you on here will not like this statement, but it is the truth. You guys that say you know Ron and what type of person he is and all the bs you guys come up with truly amazes me. I've known the guy for almost twenty years and have never heard any of the things that you say about him from anybody else. Ron is for the kids in his programs first!!! He is definitely a guy that I would want my son to play for.

Come on Mull!!! You're all........ Just kidding.

Make the right move for the program.

Take it how you want, but that is what I've been told by more than one coach on the past staff. If that's not the case, then why would they lie about it, since you seem to know so much about it. Second I don't remember saying it was while he was at KC.

Lastly, I find it kind of funny how you seem to get defensive when someone questions or has a different view on this particular individual. So chill, personally I don't think this person would be the right fit for OR, but that is not what my original post was about. All I was saying is that I believe Mullins has already made his choice. This extra time is just fluff, so that he can say he has given it a lot of thought. From the last debacle of how things were handled, I don't have a lot of faith in Mullins, Carringer, Green, or Bailey.

if you are running around with the former staff that expains your view. Some of the former staff could learn a lot from coach Gray as far as coaching is concerned, you have been to the OR games have you not?

Ok, then we agree then.

If you don't think they could lean something from him, check out the new ring on his finger,

It sounds like the green eyed monster to me. as far as your former staff is concerned.

if you are running around with the former staff that expains your view. Some of the former staff could learn a lot from coach Gray as far as coaching is concerned, you have been to the OR games have you not?

Ok, then we agree then.

If you don't think they could lean something from him, check out the new ring on his finger,

It sounds like the green eyed monster to me. as far as your former staff is concerned.

I guess now you're saying that he's the reason KC won the state. I'm sure he would like you to think that. If I remember correctly, they were pretty good before he got there.

Since you're so knowledgeble, where's the rings from Bearden and Karns? In fact Bearden made it further in the playoffs the year after he left. How many rings did OR win when he was here as the OC?

But to be fair I won't even put that on him because it's not fair. There are always two sides of the story, and I know that there are some who like him and some who don't.

As far as he is concerned, if he gets the job I will still support the program. As far as my knowlegde of him, I do know him and have been around him, so I don't have to rely on anyone else's word or opinion. I will admit, if I where him, I would have some negative feelings toward OR and the way the administration treated him the last time, I just think those feelings have been directed at the wrong people.

I know for a fact that Ron Gray is what Oak Ridge football needs. You can try and bring in a coach that has 10 state championships, and he couldn't get the job done. Ron knows OR football and knows what it needs to be "fixed" after Stanton almost destroyed the program.

I know a bunch of you on here will not like this statement, but it is the truth. You guys that say you know Ron and what type of person he is and all the bs you guys come up with truly amazes me. I've known the guy for almost twenty years and have never heard any of the things that you say about him from anybody else. Ron is for the kids in his programs first!!! He is definitely a guy that I would want my son to play for.

Come on Mull!!! You're all........ Just kidding.

Make the right move for the program.

I personally do not know any of those involved but to say that someone who has won 10 state title could not get the job done and that another man can, kind of ruins any respect that I would give your comments. According to you, only one man could be successful there and turn the program around and you happen to know that one individual. Just in case you are as tunnel visioned as you sound, let me inform you on something, there are lots of folks capable of the turn around, and just because you do not know them does not mean that they can not fix OR football.

I guess now you're saying that he's the reason KC won the state. I'm sure he would like you to think that. If I remember correctly, they were pretty good before he got there.

Since you're so knowledgeble, where's the rings from Bearden and Karns? In fact Bearden made it further in the playoffs the year after he left. How many rings did OR win when he was here as the OC?

But to be fair I won't even put that on him because it's not fair. There are always two sides of the story, and I know that there are some who like him and some who don't.

As far as he is concerned, if he gets the job I will still support the program. As far as my knowlegde of him, I do know him and have been around him, so I don't have to rely on anyone else's word or opinion. I will admit, if I where him, I would have some negative feelings toward OR and the way the administration treated him the last time, I just think those feelings have been directed at the wrong people.

He's not the reason KC won the state title, they have a great staff and had a ton of talent, but I will say his offensive line played extremely well all season. Maybe they looked better because they had 2 very good runners, but they opened a lot of holes. He did a very good job there.

Bearden got much better during his 2 years and continue to play at a high level. The Karns situation was a complete mess...some of the stuff he's told me that went on there would make you laugh and say "that's really weird". It wasn't a good situation for him and he got out of it after a year...there was no turning that program around, it is still in the dumps. You're right though, there are 2 sides to every story and I only know one side.

I'm sure there are lots of very good candidates that could turn the program around. The only thing I know is that I played for Ron Gray and I know how he coaches, what he expects, and how he treats his guys and he is EXACTLY what Oak Ridge needs. He already knows the kids, he knows all the facilities, he knows all the traditions, etc. His positives far outweigh his negatives in my opinion.

That all sounds great. What is his record as a head coach?

Unfortunately he's never been a head coach and that's the thing that has held him back when he's applied for the OR job in the past. He's gotten plenty of offers for other jobs (Lebanon, Alcoa, etc.) and they just weren't good fits for him when they were offered. He's worked at almost every level from junior high to college and he's worked under some very good head coaches. I have no doubt he could run a very successful program if given the chance.