New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Scoot, nobody really knows for sure, I heard that John Reid did apply, but they've been extremely quiet about the applicants.

I think that Ron Gray would do a good job. The kids like playing for him, that's for sure. The only drawback in my opinion is that we would have half the town behind him and the other half against him. That's the same situation we just got out of.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoot, nobody really knows for sure, I heard that John Reid did apply, but they've been extremely quiet about the applicants.

I think that Ron Gray would do a good job. The kids like playing for him, that's for sure. The only drawback in my opinion is that we would have half the town behind him and the other half against him. That's the same situation we just got out of.

If Reid did apply and get's the job you all will have a great coach, but the bad thing is he don't stick around long. No doubt he knows football and conditioning. His teams always seem to be stronger than there opponents.

I personally do not know any of those involved but to say that someone who has won 10 state title could not get the job done and that another man can, kind of ruins any respect that I would give your comments. According to you, only one man could be successful there and turn the program around and you happen to know that one individual. Just in case you are as tunnel visioned as you sound, let me inform you on something, there are lots of folks capable of the turn around, and just because you do not know them does not mean that they can not fix OR football.

The point I was trying to prove is that the number of Championship rings does not qualify the person to be the best coach for a situation. Ron is the best coach for the situation at OR. I've known a lot of great coaches that can do great jobs for schools, and they don't have a single championship ring.

I am sure there are other people that can fix OR. But I still believe that Ron is the best choice.

I know one of the other applicants as well, and I would not choose him over Ron. So, maybe I don't have tunnel vision as bad as you think I do.

Why would the best situation for a school like Oak Ridge be to hire a guy who has no head coaching experience? And if he did have offers to schools like Loudon and Alcoa, why did he not take them? I mean Alcoa is a premiere job and he got it offered to him with no experience and turned it down. That's like turning down an SEC job to wait for another SEC job and it would be your first chance to be HC. It really does not add up

Why would the best situation for a school like Oak Ridge be to hire a guy who has no head coaching experience? And if he did have offers to schools like Loudon and Alcoa, why did he not take them? I mean Alcoa is a premiere job and he got it offered to him with no experience and turned it down. That's like turning down an SEC job to wait for another SEC job and it would be your first chance to be HC. It really does not add up

To be honest, if you knew him, you'd understand why.

There were a number of reasons why he didn't take those jobs. Alcoa wasn't offering much money, he would have made less teaching and coaching at Alcoa than he is just teaching at OR. It may be a great place to coach, but it's not so great you'd take a pay cut to go there. As for Loudon, to make a long story short they wanted him to basically sell out and rub it in the face of their rival and his alma mater Mt. Juliet that they could get a MJ alum. I guess he wasn't going to sell out to be a HC. I hope you can understand those reason, it wasn't just that he was biding his time until the OR job opened up, those jobs just weren't right for him and his family.

I understand that things are now winding down in the Coaching search, and the word is that someone would be recommended to hire by the Committee within the next two weeks....I think you will find the Committee has done a thorough job, although I doubt the choice will please everybody, but I think it will be a good choice this time and then it will be time for the players, assistant coaches, support clubs, administration and the community to fall in line and get this program back, and it will take all of those pieces to make it great again. We are at a crossroads here, this is a very important hire, and he will need all the support he can get regardless of whether you were for or against or indifferent. He will need to fill a lot of positions this spring and again I strongly urge all those guys laying out of the weight room and off season conditioning and those walking the halls to get back into it and support the new coach with your efforts and participation. I don't have a clue who it will be, I do have some idea who it will not be, the big time favorites such as Rankin and Quarles. They are happy where they are. To the players, plenty of starting positions will be open, will be your chance to work hard and make a good impression on the new coach. One question he may ask when he gets there is: "Who has been working in the weight room and the classroom?" You need to be doing both. As for assistants, it will depend on available teaching positions, how many of the current assistants plan to coach next year and money. I would hope he can get two assistants, maybe coordinators to complement the current staff, but I would not count on it. I am looking forward to a new beginning for this program, a lot like 1988. It can be done.

To be honest, if you knew him, you'd understand why.

There were a number of reasons why he didn't take those jobs. Alcoa wasn't offering much money, he would have made less teaching and coaching at Alcoa than he is just teaching at OR. It may be a great place to coach, but it's not so great you'd take a pay cut to go there.

Sorry Ram, that reason doesnt fly. Alcoa is one of the highest paying public school districts in the state, Maryville, Alcoa and Oak Ridge all pay close to the same amounts to their teachers. And I know for a fact they pay very well to all of their coaches at AHS. Alcoa's first choice was Rankin all along. Wonder if grey was really offered that chance b/c it would make no sense to turn it down.