Congrats to Oak Ridge!

coachgat

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Ridge beat Christ the King out of NY. Very proud and way to represent TN! Validates my lobbying for them being in the Fab 50.

OR is already ranked #7 in the USA Today poll. That was a great win. I haven't got the results yet, but they will play the winner of Clovis West(Fresno,CA)/H.D. Woodson(Washington,DC). H.D. Woodson is another traditional powerhouse. I think OR can beat them. The REAL test will be Long Beach,CA Poly in the semi-final match. They are the #1 team in the nation.

OR is already ranked #7 in the USA Today poll. That was a great win. I haven't got the results yet, but they will play the winner of Clovis West(Fresno,CA)/H.D. Woodson(Washington,DC). H.D. Woodson is another traditional powerhouse. I think OR can beat them. The REAL test will be Long Beach,CA Poly in the semi-final match. They are the #1 team in the nation.

Oak Ridge's two leading players combined for only 5 points yet they managed to win the game. Sounded as if they went to play basketball but wound up getting mugged in an alley. Hopefully, the game with H.D. Woodson will be a better display of skill.

I would say that this is one of Oak Ridge's best efforts against an out of state team on a neutral court. Considering the opponent, the size disadvantage and the rest, Jill Prudden proved she is one of the country's top coaches, period.

Give the CTK coach credit. He realized early in the 2nd quarter that he couldn't run with OR, so he slowed it down to a half court, physical type of game and tried to use his size advantage. Give Prudden credit for recognizing it early and not forcing the game. Give the girls credit for playing their roles and not folding under pressure.

Now with Long Beach Poly out of the winners bracket, if Oak Ridge can play to their abilities, who knows how far they can go? Good luck OR and way to represent your state!

Be careful about Long Beach being out of the winners bracket. The group that OR is in happens to be the very top pool in the tournament. There is not a bad team in their group. Maybe some coaches that are not as good as others but the talent is there. CTK's coach is an excellent one also and I am sure it was a great match of two very good coaches. Not surprising it was a defensive game. Some games will be easier than others but in the bracket they are in, there will not be an easy game. Have a good game Lady Cats and represent TN well as you always do.

A great way to come out and start in this tournament with a win. We did play sloppy, but Jazzmin Hazzard and Quesha McClanahan both played great games each with 12 points. Kierra Johnson stepped up on the big stage with some key rebounds. After taking the lead in the second quarter, Oak Ridge never let go of it. We will have to play much better today against a very good and fast H.D. Woodson team. Their junior Point Guard already has major D1 scholarships as well as a 6'6" girl that did not play against Clover West yesterday, but could be back today.

I believe that some of the big stage jitters are going to be gone today after winning a first round game. The girls had a good afternoon of rest yesterday and should be rested up for the game.

Game time is 4:30 MST or 6:30 EST.

Listen to the game LIVE on prepradio.com

and Check oakridgebasketball.com for details from the game.

OR 69

HB Woodson 52

next: semi-final vs Bowling Brook, IL

Oak Ridge opened a 7-0 lead, led by nine at the first stop, 5 at half, then blew it open early in the second half, leading by as much as 21 points before giving their younger players some time and experience in the TOC. H.D. Woodson continued to press & trap OR and insisted on playing an up-tempo game which played into the hands of coach Prudden's team. Woodson's starters were still pressing hard at the end against OR's young players when the game was no longer in doubt and shaved a few points off the final margin.

Hazzard and Jones each had 18 in stellar performances. Woodson's all-world guard tandem was impressive with 3s. As was mentioned, the next game is with Bollingbrook (Ill) at 8:00 p.m. tonight in the semifinals. Bollingbrook is ranked 25 by USA Today. Congratulations to Oak Ridge for the win and for continuing to represent Tennessee with class on a national level.

Folks, what I like about this particularly is that it shows that Tennessee girls basketball is more than a one or two-team state. I read one article that gave the first-round winners and when it came to Oak Ridge beating Christ the King, it literally asked "Who are these girls from Oak Ridge?". Sort of a slight against the state and its many fine basketball programs and players. It's still difficult to get recognition from the USA Today, ESPN and S.I. type coverage. Good luck Wildcats and to all the TN teams participating in holiday tournaments around the state and outside.

Oak Ridge opened a 7-0 lead, led by nine at the first stop, 5 at half, then blew it open early in the second half, leading by as much as 21 points before giving their younger players some time and experience in the TOC. H.D. Woodson continued to press & trap OR and insisted on playing an up-tempo game which played into the hands of coach Prudden's team. Woodson's starters were still pressing hard at the end against OR's young players when the game was no longer in doubt and shaved a few points off the final margin.

Hazzard and Jones each had 18 in stellar performances. Woodson's all-world guard tandem was impressive with 3s. As was mentioned, the next game is with Bollingbrook (Ill) at 8:00 p.m. tonight in the semifinals. Bollingbrook is ranked 25 by USA Today. Congratulations to Oak Ridge for the win and for continuing to represent Tennessee with class on a national level.

Folks, what I like about this particularly is that it shows that Tennessee girls basketball is more than a one or two-team state. I read one article that gave the first-round winners and when it came to Oak Ridge beating Christ the King, it literally asked "Who are these girls from Oak Ridge?". Sort of a slight against the state and its many fine basketball programs and players. It's still difficult to get recognition from the USA Today, ESPN and S.I. type coverage. Good luck Wildcats and to all the TN teams participating in holiday tournaments around the state and outside.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I remember Shelbyville ruling the nation in girls basketball. Tennessee has always been a powerhouse when it comes to girls basketball. In my opinion OR has already proven Tennessee can play. The bracket they are in, the Joe Smith bracket, is the top bracket at the tournament. If we can get by Bolingbrook we will play the Cardinal O'Hara/Regis Jesuit winner in the championship match. Cardinal O'Hara knocked off California's other top ranked team, St. Mary's. If OR wins this whole thing they might very well be ranked #1 in the nation next week. Good luck!

It is great for OR and the entire state of TN girls basketball for OR to go to Phoenix and play great and represent the state with class as they always do. It should also tell us that girls basketball in TN is one of if not the best area in the nation when it comes to girls roundball. You know as a team and player that TN girls basketball is tough when you go on a national stage and have success and then come back home and there are teams and coaches here that are better than what you played in Phoenix. Way to go Lady Cats, keep playing great and hopefully winning. If you are an OR fan, I am sure you wish that to contiinue when they return home all the way to the State tournament in March, if they are lucky enough to make it that far. After this week, there should not be any idiot newspaper writer asking "Who are these girls from Oak Ridge"? In fact, if they had a clue about girls basketball they would have known who Oak Ridge is. Having been to this tournament many times, Oak Ridge has represented itself very well. They just don't always have the #1 recruits as the so called big name schools do. I do believe that Coach P can outcoach just about anyone that she is matched up against. 800 + wins to prove it. Alot of those with inferior tallent.