Oak Hill at Bearden?

Turtle

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing to me that we got the treat to watch a fantastic basketball game, and all we can do is get on here and talk about the negatives of the game. Coach Smith knows what he is doing at Oak Hill. He is taking these kids from troubled homes and getting them into college. No I don't care for the foul mouth talk either, but Oak Hill was in an environment that they were not prepared for. They came into a small gym in East Tennessee and had to play through a 32 minute dog fight. So of course they were going to be a little chippy and frustrated.

Also, how can you complain about the UT players coming out to support a local high school team. The seating situation was terrible, and they just wanted to see some great basketball so get over the fact they stood up, and made you stand up during the game. Thanks to all of the UT players coming out to support local high school basketball.

Keep making excuses for these kids. That's just what they need. One more person making excuses for them.

These arent excuses either the kids are just cussing. Thats it they are like 16-18 yrs old. not children. Im mean everybody in high school cusses wether there parents make 20 million or 20 thousand. They probably cuss.

Ok, I'm just saying I rather have them cussing during a basketball game(and well on there way to college).

Then being well on there way to "other places"

Great point! I agree with you 100% there are plenty of things such as: drugs and/or crime these kids could be into but because of basketball occupying their time they don't get into that stuff! Cussing vs. drugs and/or crime... I'd rather have a kid cussing than a kid all drugged out or shooting people in the streets!

Let the innocent cast the first stone! If not then don't be a hypocrite!

Let me start by saying this isn't some prissy catholic school you're talking about. This is Oak Hill Academy. Most of those kids are there because they need to overcome some stuff in order to reach the next level. Some of those things that I am referring to include academic struggles and extremely difficult living environment. Who cares how much these kids cuss? Understanding where some of them come from I think if all they do is cuss they are doing well. It never ceases to amaze me how some people who live a predominantly care free existance point the finger at every little thing someone else does and chastise them for it. By the way, how did you like the final score of the Catholic game Friday night?

You seem to be missing the point entirely. I know what the premise is behind the Oak Hill Academy but my point was/is that they have a great opportunity to grow as young men and basketball players. Part of the growth is in maturity and distancing themselves from the hardships they are trying to overcome. I know you would probably not compare the kids from AE and Fulton but they come from a similar situation and their coaches don't tolerate that type of behavior.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. I know what the premise is behind the Oak Hill Academy but my point was/is that they have a great opportunity to grow as young men and basketball players. Part of the growth is in maturity and distancing themselves from the hardships they are trying to overcome. I know you would probably not compare the kids from AE and Fulton but they come from a similar situation and their coaches don't tolerate that type of behavior.

I don't understand why all the Oak Hill kids are being stereotyped as being from certain types of neighborhoods. Have you really looked at their roster or are you we just making generalizations? The Indiana signee and the Kegarise kid from Franklin, TN are you kidding me. Maybe some of you should look at the entire team and not just 3 or 4 kids and their upbringing. Anyway, unbelievable effort by Bearden.

Its like this, coaches don't hear what's being said on the court amongst the players... I'm pretty sure Bearden players were cussing as well...But like most of you people are saying, why are you pointing fingers at Oak hill only? The game was intense and the intensity brings out a lot of emotion amongst the players and or fans..

I don't understand why all the Oak Hill kids are being stereotyped as being from certain types of neighborhoods. Have you really looked at their roster or are you we just making generalizations? The Indiana signee and the Kegarise kid from Franklin, TN are you kidding me. Maybe some of you should look at the entire team and not just 3 or 4 kids and their upbringing. Anyway, unbelievable effort by Bearden.

Ok, 2 kids.

And Kegarise barely plays(no reason to cuss if out loud about plays if your not in the game) and is from Franklin, so its kind of obvious that he is wealthy. From what i saw on the site both of his parents are doctors.

U and I dont kno anything about the Indiana signee either.

And from looking at the site half of the players have only moms(which doesnt mean they are poor but u get the idea) and their dads are not even mention on there profile.

I agree with some of what you said. They should be trying to overcome certain aspects from their background. However, you cannot expect them to change who they are just because they have been given an opportunity. Part of what has afforded these kids this opportunity is that they are tough, gritty individuals both on and off the court. AE is definately comparable...not necessarily talent wise (though they have a lot). Those kids are tough and foul mouthed as well, but I still maintain that their are far worse things than some bad language. If you would like to personally wash the Oak Hill player's mouths out with soap it is a little over a 3 hour drive from Catholic High School.Have a nice day /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />