big 9 player of the year

tricitiessportsfan

Big 9 Player of the Year  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Big 9 Player of the Year

This makes the third coming of the Big 9 Player of the Year thread. I felt it deserved a poll to help us decide who will wear the honor at the end of the regular season. Thus, feel free to express your views and opinions, and vote in the poll. Let's revisit this topic full tilt. The Arby's Classic should help fuel the debate. So be it, let's hear it!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Sylvester may not even be the first OR second best player on his own team. Jordan Edwards and Ashlon Adams are definitely ahead of him.

Very true. The play of the trio over time, and the fact they will have to share the spotlight, will negate their POTY potential. In that light, Odem and Young have a significant advantage. With the injury to Sullivan Central PG Brown, Roberts may be able to make an argument for himself depending on how his role changes.

The Arby's did provide some fodder for Big 9 Player of the Year honors.

Justin Sylvester played injured for the majority of the tournament, but did play well in the games he played in. Although the Indians almost pulled off a victory in overtime against Louisville Male, KY without him, it was apparent he was missed. He has yet to take a game over, as he has in years past, but plays well in big games and against quality competition. Stock falling.

Josh Odem had a very good showing in the Arby??™s, especially against North Carolina commit Leslie McDonald of Briarcrest Christian. He also showed out against Dobyns Bennett in a losing effort. Though the 'Toppers went 0-2 in the Arby's, it took nothing away from his resume of being the player of the year. Stock rising.

Corey Young played well in the Arby's, leading his team to a very respectable showing against very good competition. He was the only local player to make the Arby's Classic All-Tournament Team. One could suggest that it is him, and him alone, that is taking the Vikings to new heights, playing at a very competitive level. I believe he is currently the front runner for player of the year honors. Stock rising.

Carl Roberts I did not see over the holiday. I understand he played well in the Highlands Union Bank Tipoff Classic at Virginia High, helping his team to win the tournament championship. Someone from the Cougar camp will have to inform us of his play in the Bobcat Classic in Bluffton, SC. Anyone? The fact he did not play in tournaments locally may hurt his chances of earning player of the year honors. Stock unsure.

Making an argument for player of the year honors are Ashlon Adams and Jordan Edwards.

Ashlon Adams is proving to be a dominating player. He is dominating teams locally, pouring in 29 points against his former team, Science Hill, in the Arby's. He also proved he can play well against quality teams in the Arby's, but needs to play a complete game, not taking plays off, in order to make his way to the top. Stock rising.

Jordan Edwards is a dominate player locally, no questions about that. He played well in the Arby's, but was in foul trouble for most of the tournament. His inside presence on the boards is lacking at times, but he more than makes up for it with points in the paint and from the foul line. Defensively, he has the ability to consistently block shots and is a disruptive force in the paint for opposing teams. Stock rising.

Disclaimer: This is all my opinion, take it for what it is.

Justin Sylvester played injured for the majority of the tournament, but did play well in the games he played in. Although the Indians almost pulled off a victory in overtime against Louisville Male, KY without him, it was apparent he was missed. He has yet to take a game over, as he has in years past, but plays well in big games and against quality competition. Stock falling.

Josh Odem had a very good showing in the Arby??™s, especially against North Carolina commit Leslie McDonald of Briarcrest Christian. He also showed out against Dobyns Bennett in a losing effort. Though the 'Toppers went 0-2 in the Arby's, it took nothing away from his resume of being the player of the year. Stock rising.

Corey Young played well in the Arby's, leading his team to a very respectable showing against very good competition. He was the only local player to make the Arby's Classic All-Tournament Team. One could suggest that it is him, and him alone, that is taking the Vikings to new heights, playing at a very competitive level. I believe he is currently the front runner for player of the year honors. Stock rising.

Carl Roberts I did not see over the holiday. I understand he played well in the Highlands Union Bank Tipoff Classic at Virginia High, helping his team to win the tournament championship. Someone from the Cougar camp will have to inform us of his play in the Bobcat Classic in Bluffton, SC. Anyone? The fact he did not play in tournaments locally may hurt his chances of earning player of the year honors. Stock unsure.

Making an argument for player of the year honors are Ashlon Adams and Jordan Edwards.

Ashlon Adams is proving to be a dominating player. He is dominating teams locally, pouring in 29 points against his former team, Science Hill, in the Arby's. He also proved he can play well against quality teams in the Arby's, but needs to play a complete game, not taking plays off, in order to make his way to the top. Stock rising.

Jordan Edwards is a dominate player locally, no questions about that. He played well in the Arby's, but was in foul trouble for most of the tournament. His inside presence on the boards is lacking at times, but he more than makes up for it with points in the paint and from the foul line. Defensively, he has the ability to consistently block shots and is a disruptive force in the paint for opposing teams. Stock rising.

Keep it coming TCSF; great assessment. I would love to see a point guard receive recognition for POTY. Most basketball fans don't value the importance of a PG who can take care of the ball under pressure and distribute it for assists. It is just like a QB in football in that regard. Unfortunately basketball awards tend to go out to scoring average leaders. Defensive ability is rarely factored either. JMHO

How could he even be considered for POTY when he's not even the best player for the Cougars? Probably 3rd at best, that's only bc the point guard went down with an injury.

How could he even be considered for POTY when he's not even the best player for the Cougars? Probably 3rd at best, that's only bc the point guard went down with an injury.

I'm assuming your meaning that Nathan Vannoy is the best player for the Cougars? My question, then, is...take Carl Roberts off his team and how good are they? I ask that seriously, not sarcastically.

Hands down Josh Odem is the best player in the conference. As for the all Tourn. team, Tenn. High will alllllllways have somebody on the all tournament team whether they deserve it or not. It's their tournament!

Jordan Edwards will earn it, deserve it, lead his team to a better season... and they will give it to Odem.

This year the front runner is Josh Odem. He reminds me of his older brother Jerome, also a good player from the Hill. The award is for the MVP of the Big Nine, not the first place team. Many voters, writers, coaches, and others make this award based on team success, not individual performance. I believe that the overall player should receive this award and not just team success or highest scoring average. My senior year in the 86-87 season saw Sullivan East at the bottom of the league and Eric Madison received the MVP honors, and deservingly so. He was the ONLY player East had that year and no one could stop him. He was a high school's Karl Malone. By many voters today, he would have never received that award because he was not on a winning team. Remember voters....the District Champion is for the best team. The best player does not have to come off the best team. Many times the overall team (other good players to compliment each other) is what makes District Champs, not one individual. GOD BLESS!!!!

This year the front runner is Josh Odem. He reminds me of his older brother Jerome, also a good player from the Hill. The award is for the MVP of the Big Nine, not the first place team. Many voters, writers, coaches, and others make this award based on team success, not individual performance. I believe that the overall player should receive this award and not just team success or highest scoring average. My senior year in the 86-87 season saw Sullivan East at the bottom of the league and Eric Madison received the MVP honors, and deservingly so. He was the ONLY player East had that year and no one could stop him. He was a high school's Karl Malone. By many voters today, he would have never received that award because he was not on a winning team. Remember voters....the District Champion is for the best team. The best player does not have to come off the best team. Many times the overall team (other good players to compliment each other) is what makes District Champs, not one individual. GOD BLESS!!!!

Very True!

Well spoken- team that plays together.