tricitiessportsfan

2008 Arby's Classic  

40 members have voted

1. 1. 2008 Arby's Classic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like there is one man standing from the locals left. Tn High will be in a great match-up on Monday night. Our local teams have much work to do if they want to see tourney time in the Western part of TN. As WACO once said.... Reality check, we are not as good as we think. We have a lot of work to do to get prepared. GOD BLESS and good luck to TN High!!!!!!

Looks like there is one man standing from the locals left. Tn High will be in a great match-up on Monday night. Our local teams have much work to do if they want to see tourney time in the Western part of TN. As WACO once said.... Reality check, we are not as good as we think. We have a lot of work to do to get prepared. GOD BLESS and good luck to TN High!!!!!!

Henry, with all due respect, the locals didn't have a chance in the games I saw. Most of the time, if the locals can keep it close, it's a moral victory. They are outsized, out athleted, and out speeded. If those are even words! ha. Some of those games look like men vs. boys.

I'd like to add, Tn High and D-B were lucky in their matchups. If they had drawn some of those other teams, it would have been ugly.

Henry, with all due respect, the locals didn't have a chance in the games I saw. Most of the time, if the locals can keep it close, it's a moral victory. They are outsized, out athleted, and out speeded. If those are even words! ha. Some of those games look like men vs. boys.

I'd like to add, Tn High and D-B were lucky in their matchups. If they had drawn some of those other teams, it would have been ugly.

How true you are.Same observation that I got.We live in a bubble around here in all sports.

I think what many of you fail to understand or comprehend is the fact that these teams (with the exception of the annual Bahamas team) are top teams from there respected area and many times their state. Let's just face the fact...most of the teams in our region are simple not athletic enough to even stay on the court with any of these teams regardless of how they perform or what their records are in these hills. Many teams from this region rely on sharp shooting to keep them in games...but what good is sharp shooting when you can't get the ball up the court; or when you do your shooter has NO chance of even getting his hands on the ball because of a superior athlete denying him the ball. Now the people living in bubbles are the ones who throw out Hampton, Unaka, Unicoi Co, Happy Valley, etc.... ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I personally can't see the need to have any other local team this side of Nashville (or Richmond on the other side) being invited on a regular basis besides THS, SHHS, and DB. And those days are probably over for awhile for the Vikings after this year.

In last nights games I felt DB and Science Hill represented very well. Any other team from this area would have lost by 30+ to either Benedictine or Briarcrest. On another note...many of you fail to realize that the Viking zone has a tendency to level the playing field just enough to allow the limited athleticism we have to compete. Most of these teams come in expecting to create offense off the dribble. THS challenges you to make your perimeter shots.

Now the people living in bubbles are the ones who throw out Hampton, Unaka, Unicoi Co, Happy Valley, etc.... ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I personally can't see the need to have any other local team this side of Nashville (or Richmond on the other side) being invited on a regular basis besides THS, SHHS, and DB.

Hampton will be competing with the Big 9 schools in 2010-2011. I just want to see them in the Arby's that one year. They will be absolutely loaded. Hampton will have a couple of players who could play some college ball at NAIA or maybe a small D-1 school. Being in the Arby's would help them be seen by college recruiters. We need more players from the area to play in college. Hampton's 4 leading scorers are sophmores and they gave Tennessee High a halfway decent game at the first of this year. And from what I remember Unaka did pretty well in the Arby's when they were invited. But I agree it would be stupid to invite 1A and 2A schools every year...

The Hill and DB are really the only teams around here that have any chance of making it to the state.If A.Adams had stayed at Science Hill they would have made a serious run at the state.

Ashlon transferring to DB was the best thing that could have happened for ALL parties involved...THAT'S A FACT!!!!!! Both teams as they are have a chance to make it to Murfreesboro this year. It depends on which one has to face Bearden in the Sectional this year.

Ashlon transferring to DB was the best thing that could have happened for ALL parties involved...THAT'S A FACT!!!!!! Both teams as they are have a chance to make it to Murfreesboro this year. It depends on which one has to face Bearden in the Sectional this year.

Well Mr. Know-it-all I think you are wrong with your summation on that.It was good for Ashlon but it was not good for Topper basketball.They could use him this year to make a run to the state.DB does not play as a team.Too many ball hogs.But you are right about Bearden,give you credit on that!

Well Mr. Know-it-all I think you are wrong with your summation on that.It was good for Ashlon but it was not good for Topper basketball.They could use him this year to make a run to the state.DB does not play as a team.Too many ball hogs.But you are right about Bearden,give you credit on that!

Ok Mr. "Wish you knew as much as I do" /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ... I respect your opinion but there is obviously allot you are not aware of that transpired over the last 3 years that lead to this transfer. This wasn't a by choice situation and I will leave it at that. IMO Science Hill is much better off in the long run. If he had been allowed to stay we wouldn't have been privileged to see one of the most talented basketball players in the Big 9 (maybe even in the State) front and center for the Toppers. I also have to disagree with your assessment of DB. In this region any one of their starting five could take over a game; and Ashlon and Jordan could hold their own on an even bigger stage than just this region. IMO they are a collection of very talented basketball players that have yet to have a clear cut leader step up to the plate to take charge of this team. Most of that is Morgan's fault...and I would go as fare as to say that it has allot to do with parents and politics...not wanting to rock the boat because every DB parent feels that their kid should be THE ONE. Sylvester should be THE ONE to lead this team for more reasons than just his basketball skills. He's the most unselfish stand out player you will meet and will always put team first. I've coached this kid and believe me...nothing means more to him than winning the game (meaning his stats). Give this team a clear cut floor general and even as talented as their top 6 or 7 are, there will be enough love to spread around from game to game.

Semi-Finals:

Miller Grove, GA vs. Knox Bearden, TN

Boyd Anderson, FL vs. Briarcrest Christian, TN

Championship:

Miller Grove, GA vs. Boyd Anderson, FL

As a fan of the Big 9, I'm personally not happy with the fact Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill are playing each other in the Arby's. With the two scheduled to meet twice in the regular season, and the possibility for them to meet potentially two more times in the post season, I see no reason why the Arby's brass would bracket them the way they did. I understand it's a blind draw, but why have teams from the same conference bracketed next to each other, it takes away from the tournament atmosphere. I digress.

Cap, I fully agree with your assessment of the Adams situation, as well as your feelings on Dobyns Bennett basketball. Well said.