tricitiessportsfan

2008 Arby's Classic  

40 members have voted

1. 1. 2008 Arby's Classic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knox Bearden loses, 70-62, to Miller Grove High School, out of Lithonia, GA, in the semi-finals of the Arby's Classic. There were very questionable coaching decisions made by the Bulldogs Mark Blevins in the fourth quarter, IMO. Details later.

FYI - Bruce Pearl is in attendence tonight, unsure if it is a publicity stunt or recruiting occassion, could be both.

Bruce Pearl would show up in Bristol for a publicity stunt ? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well looks like I got it right the second time /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . BA vs MG in the championship. I think BA takes it by 10 or more. I'm not so sure that BA and Krop aren't the two best teams in this thing. Krop rebounded nicely from their loss to BA last night.

Bruce Pearl would show up in Bristol for a publicity stunt ? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It had to be publicity Jack. I saw it on ESPN last night! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Seriously though, TCSF, he's recruiting. Good place to see several potential D1A's in one day.

Im not a Bearden fan, but im from East Tennessee and i played against Bearden quiet a bit over the past few years in my high school days and last year they beat us by 8 points (we should have won that game) i kinda despise them lol, but no his name is Dustin Craig and yeah he looks like a quarterback, but hes not i think he just concentrates on basketball.

Dustin Craig is the only kid from Bearden who has actually committed to play in college. (Air Force)

It had to be publicity Jack. I saw it on ESPN last night! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Seriously though, TCSF, he's recruiting. Good place to see several potential D1A's in one day.

Waco, the the only reason I refered to it as possibly a publicity stunt is because most coaches who are recruiting aren't sitting at a table, courtside, set aside specifically for them, with security around them, signing autographs during breaks in the game. Pearl has been known to do publicity stunts for events, keep in mind the slam dunk contest was directly before the Miller Grove, GA and Knox Bearden game, sponsered by Frito-Lay and to a lesser degree Food Lion, who have money to throw at an appearence.

Of course it is was a recruiting occasion, VolmanScott, it's the Arby's. Any college coach, in any division, in the tri-state area would be dumb not to recruit the Arby's. Pearl stayed only for the Miller Grove, GA and Knox Bearden game, so I assume he was looking for potential Division 1-A players in that game only. Most other participating teams star players are already committed. My question is who from Knox Bearden may he be recruiting?

My comment yesterday concerning Knox Bearden's head coach, Mark Blevins, making questionable coaching decisions in the fourth quarter, were for the following reasons:

1. In the first half, he employed his usual five in and five out rotations. In the second half, he only subbed one player at a time, breaking from the usual routine.

2. #23 Gabe Campbell was visibly frustrated throughout the second half, IMO, definitely taking away from his game, appearing to be costly to his teams performance (turnovers, forcing shots, unnecessary fouling), he remained in for the majority of the second half.

3. For the majority of the fourth quarter, the last five minutes of the game, regular point guards #3 Dion Fair and #13 Jaeland Lawson sat the bench, replaced by reserve point guard #20 Benji Ware, in a game that was back and forth until late in the fourth.

4. During that same five minute stretch late in the fourth quarter, #5 Nathan Parker sat the bench, foul trouble was not an issue. #1 Blake Jenkins was also subbed in and out for periods of time for reserves late in the fourth quarter, with the game still in contest.

5. The back breaker coaching wise, IMO, happened when he subbed in all reserves (by that I mean players who were on the second five man rotation and were not primary scorers) down 67-60 with around 2:00 minutes left in the game.

Was he teaching his team a lesson? Conceding defeat early? I don't know. Can someone shed light on this?

Wednesday, December 31

Session 7

Game 26

Consolation

Twin Valley, VA - 45

Greeneville, TN - 39

Final.

Game Stats

Game 27

6th Place

Bryan Station, KY - 70

Louisville Male, KY - 69

Final.

Game Stats

Game 28

5th Place

Monsignor Pace, FL - 51

Dr. Michael Krop, FL - 66

Final.

Game Stats

----------

4:30 PM - 3-Point Contest

Winner: Jordan Potts, Gate City, VA - 17

Runner Up: Koree Deeb, Sullivan East - 16

----------

Game 29

3rd Place

Knox Bearden, TN - 64

Briarcrest Christian, TN - 61

Final.

Game Stats

Game 30

Championship

Miller Grove, GA - 61

Boyd Anderson, FL - 70

Final.

Game Stats

----------

Trophies:

1st Place: Boyd Anderson, FL (4-0, W, W, W, W)

2nd Place: Miller Grove, GA (3-1, W, W, W, L)

3rd Place: Knox Bearden, TN (3-1, W, W, L, W)

4th Place: Briarcrest Christian, TN (2-2, W, W, L, L)

5th Place: Dr. Michael Krop, FL (3-1, W, L, W, W)

6th Place: Bryan Station, KY (3-1, L, W, W, W)

Consolation: Twin Valley, VA (2-1, L in Play-In Game, W, W)

For Bearden fans, here is the link to an article on the Slam Dunk Contest won by your own Nathan Parker.

Bearden's Nathan Parker Foul-Line Leep Wins Arby's Slam Dunk Contest

Also, below is a link to an article on the Bulldogs game with Miller Grove, GA and Briarcrest's game with Boyd Anderson, FL. Knox Bearden and Briarcrest Christian meet today at 5:30 PM in the third place game.

Miller Grove, Boyd Anderson Earn Spots in Arby's Classic Finals

Can someone shed some light on Greeneville? They, to me, are by far the worst team in this tourney. Now, they might end up winning vs. Twin Valley today, I don't know. But, I thought they were supposed to have a good team this year. Didn't they come in with a good record? Who have they played? Is one of their top players out or something because I have seen nothing from them that would indicate they could even compete with average east TN teams?? I'm not knocking them. I was just surprised to see how bad they were after hearing they would have a good team this year.

My comment yesterday concerning Knox Bearden's head coach, Mark Blevins, making questionable coaching decisions in the fourth quarter, were for the following reasons:

1. In the first half, he employed his usual five in and five out rotations. In the second half, he only subbed one player at a time, breaking from the usual routine.

2. #23 Gabe Campbell was visibly frustrated throughout the second half, IMO, definitely taking away from his game, appearing to be costly to his teams performance (turnovers, forcing shots, unnecessary fouling), he remained in for the majority of the second half.

3. For the majority of the fourth quarter, the last five minutes of the game, regular point guards #3 Dion Fair and #13 Jaeland Lawson sat the bench, replaced by reserve point guard #20 Benji Ware, in a game that was back and forth until late in the fourth.

4. During that same five minute stretch late in the fourth quarter, #5 Nathan Parker sat the bench, foul trouble was not an issue. #1 Blake Jenkins was also subbed in and out for periods of time for reserves late in the fourth quarter, with the game still in contest.

5. The back breaker coaching wise, IMO, happened when he subbed in all reserves (by that I mean players who were on the second five man rotation and were not primary scorers) down 67-60 with around 2:00 minutes left in the game.

Was he teaching his team a lesson? Conceding defeat early? I don't know. Can someone shed light on this?

I agree, I did not understand any of his coaching last night! Especially the PG situation! Bearden was totally lost in the forth quarter. FWIW, Bruce Pearl was there to see Miller Groove freshman post player Tony Parker.