Hillsboro Next Football Season

I was merely using Newsweek's public school rankings as an objective example for HHS's educational quality. Don't agree? You nor TheSpoon have to agree with it. If you would recommend a kid to attend school at Antioch or Overton over HHS that is you're prerogative of course. However, I disagree and would strongly discourage it. Btw, if Newsweek magazine "only knows what was sent to them," then apparently HHS is doing a better job than all but three of the public high schools in TN at hiding their drawbacks.

Again, I have NEVER denied HHS being an MNPS school. Where did I insinuate that? All I have said was, and I stand by that HHS is the overall best non-magnet public high school in Nashville. I did imply that it is MNPS's unofficial magnet school of sorts due to its open enrollment policy and better overall academic environment. If one can afford a private education or win the lottery for MLK or Hume-Fogg by all means do it. However, if one is not one of those kids who is so blessed, HHS is the BEST option available in Nashville.

Im just saying its like every other metro school in more ways than not. Would I send my kid to Hillsboro, sure. As far as it being the best and most unique metro school, I would give that one to MLK, Hume Fogg, University School, Nashville School of the Arts, and the School for Math and Science at Vanderbilt. "I was using it to display that I am not making up the fact that HHS is currently and has been for the past 5-6 years the most unique MNPS high school. "

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope all is well. Enjoy reading your posts.

All is well. Going back in the summer to get my Secondary Certification and to start my masters degree. I have put my resume in where I wanted to be and so far I made the list of finalists. Even if I dont get it I am happy where I am and overall life is good. Hope you are doing good. Its good to hear from you. Email me sometime.

Is your buddy SS headed back to SSDD anytime soon?

Im just saying its like every other metro school in more ways than not. Would I send my kid to Hillsboro, sure. As far as it being the best and most unique metro school, I would give that one to MLK, Hume Fogg, University School, Nashville School of the Arts, and the School for Math and Science at Vanderbilt. "I was using it to display that I am not making up the fact that HHS is currently and has been for the past 5-6 years the most unique MNPS high school. "

First of all, when did USN become an MNPS school? Also, The School for Math and Science at Vanderbilt is a research opportunity PROGRAM for MNPS students. No students attend there full time for their education. Nashville school of the Arts is a specialty school sure and might be considered "unique" in that regard, but it's not very well rounded. Athletics are only offered through co-op programs with other schools. Football is not offered by MLK or Hume-Fogg. MLK has a co-op football arrangement with Pearl-Cohn and Hume-Fogg with someone else (I apologize I can't recall).

HHS has the best combination of ALL opportunities. That is more of what I am referring to when I say the most unique. HHS is NOT a specialty school ala NSA, MLK, and Hume-Fogg. However, I stand by saying it is the most unique high school (due to the diverse opportunities) in MNPS and the best non-magnet public high school in Nashville.

Good grief, you know so much. Your vast canyon of knowledge is overwhelming. Maybe you could be so kind as to explain why you believe Blade will stay at HHS and why no other school will hire him. Oh wait, I forgot he's "overrated" because TheSpoon says so.

Btw, who is Gilligan and would he bring the skipper with him? Sorry couldn't resist! Seriously though, who is this Gilligan character and why would he want to come to HHS if Blade leaves?

Maybe I'm basing this on the fact that it's common knowledge that he's applied for 2 other jobs and the information I'm getting from a pretty reliable source is that 2 others were involved...AND HE'S NOT BEING HIRED BY THEM. So I guess I'm basing my "opinion" that no other school would hire him on the fact that no other school has hired him.

If you don't know who Gilligan is you're too far out of the loop to know him, but why wouldn't he want to come to HB ergo Hillsboro? He reads Newsweek.

Athletics are only offered through co-op programs with other schools. Football is not offered by MLK or Hume-Fogg. MLK has a co-op football arrangement with Pearl-Cohn and Hume-Fogg with someone else (I apologize I can't recall).

I believe Hume-Fogg plays with Hillwood and NSA plays with Hillsboro. I think there have been a couple of players from both NSA and MLK to start for Hillsboro.

Maybe I'm basing this on the fact that it's common knowledge that he's applied for 2 other jobs and the information I'm getting from a pretty reliable source is that 2 others were involved...AND HE'S NOT BEING HIRED BY THEM. So I guess I'm basing my "opinion" that no other school would hire him on the fact that no other school has hired him.

If you don't know who Gilligan is you're too far out of the loop to know him, but why wouldn't he want to come to HB ergo Hillsboro? He reads Newsweek.

Fair enough, better for HHS football if you are correct and Blade does stay. Despite TheSpoon saying otherwise, Blade is a great coach.

Ah yes, perhaps Gilligan does read Newsweek, but shouldn't he be deterred by the fact that HHS isn't going to be making the playoffs regularly in District 11-AAA according to TheSpoon. I mean afterall, if Blade, the guy who just beat George Quarles and Maryville (who just happened to own the longest winning streak in the COUNTRY at the time) can't possibly take HHS to the playoffs in District 11-AAA, why would Gilligan believe he could? Sounds like a lost cause to me.

Btw, thanks for "elaborating" on who Gilligan is. I OBVIOUSLY now know EXACTLY who he is and why he would come to HHS. Would you at least be so kind as to give your opinion as to whether or not you believe he would be a good candidate for HHS football over people like Mose Phillips, Richard Herzog, Kevin Komisar, etc? Maybe even provide some sound reasoning for that opinion as well?

I believe Hume-Fogg plays with Hillwood and NSA plays with Hillsboro. I think there have been a couple of players from both NSA and MLK to start for Hillsboro.

Victor Clemons DE on 2003 State Championship team and Matt Arent QB for 2006 State Runner-Up team are the two MLK kids that started for HHS in the past that I know of. Not sure if there have been any from NSA though.

Victor Clemons DE on 2003 State Championship team and Matt Arent QB for 2006 State Runner-Up team are the two MLK kids that started for HHS in the past that I know of. Not sure if there have been any from NSA though.

The kid who returned a fumble 50 yards for 6 a couple years ago against Straford started on the d-line and was a NSA kid. #50, I think and there were a couple of other lineman who at one point started on that line from MLK. And someone told me during the summer there was another lineman from NSA starting. 55, maybe? I guess he couldn't keep his job.

First of all, when did USN become an MNPS school? Also, The School for Math and Science at Vanderbilt is a research opportunity PROGRAM for MNPS students. No students attend there full time for their education. Nashville school of the Arts is a specialty school sure and might be considered "unique" in that regard, but it's not very well rounded. Athletics are only offered through co-op programs with other schools. Football is not offered by MLK or Hume-Fogg. MLK has a co-op football arrangement with Pearl-Cohn and Hume-Fogg with someone else (I apologize I can't recall).

HHS has the best combination of ALL opportunities. That is more of what I am referring to when I say the most unique. HHS is NOT a specialty school ala NSA, MLK, and Hume-Fogg. However, I stand by saying it is the most unique high school (due to the diverse opportunities) in MNPS and the best non-magnet public high school in Nashville.

Okay I'll give you USN and the school for math and science. I stand corrected. However the other school mentioned are unique in each way. All I am saying is that each metro school whether it be Hillsboro or a magnet school or even Hillwood are unique in their own ways. Hillsboro is a good school I just dont think its any better than the other metro schools that are on that level. Hillsboro isnt much different from Overton, Antioch, or Cane Ridge. If anything Cane Ridge is the newest and most technological school so they could say that they are unique too. Just a thought.

Gilligan is Scott Smith. He coached at Antioch, Ezell, Greenbrier, Indy, and is now at Science Hill. He's a good coach who according to spoon wants back in metro. Would he do well at Hillsboro, yep. Many would. Coach Komisar would obviously be a better transition and is already in the building. The only question there would be is his experience as a head coach. But hey you have to start somewhere. I am kindof surprised Coach K hasnt gone after some of the open jobs if he hasnt.

Fair enough, better for HHS football if you are correct and Blade does stay. Despite TheSpoon saying otherwise, Blade is a great coach.

Ah yes, perhaps Gilligan does read Newsweek, but shouldn't he be deterred by the fact that HHS isn't going to be making the playoffs regularly in District 11-AAA according to TheSpoon. I mean afterall, if Blade, the guy who just beat George Quarles and Maryville (who just happened to own the longest winning streak in the COUNTRY at the time) can't possibly take HHS to the playoffs in District 11-AAA, why would Gilligan believe he could? Sounds like a lost cause to me.

Btw, thanks for "elaborating" on who Gilligan is. I OBVIOUSLY now know EXACTLY who he is and why he would come to HHS. Would you at least be so kind as to give your opinion as to whether or not you believe he would be a good candidate for HHS football over people like Mose Phillips, Richard Herzog, Kevin Komisar, etc? Maybe even provide some sound reasoning for that opinion as well?

That's funny. I don't seem to remember the game the way you do. What position were Blade and Quarles playing?

I don't think Blade is a bad coach...just overrated. Winning with the team they had last year doesn't make you the next coming of Bill Friggin Belichik. Let's see him win with lesser talent. Rather than worry so much about Blade you better pray that HB ergo Hillsboro doesn't lose those open zones and if they do you better pray they keep all of Edgehill. Obviously, you are too young to remember, but in the pre-Aydelott days HB ergo Hillsboro was a doormat for years. The year Mose was a senior they were good. Other than that they were pretty bad for quite a long time. As the illustrious runtheball mentioned, Overton used to have the bulk of Edgehill, which is where they got most of their athletes and...shock and awe...they won the state. Then HB ergo Hillsboro gets them and...shazam...they're good. Then they get open zones and magnet kids and...double shazam...they win every year. So let's see...the theme here seems to be...where the athletes go, so go the wins. Coaches make a difference, but athletes make a bigger one. Look up some Bear Bryant quotes if you don't believe that.

I don't think Blade is a bad coach...just overrated. Winning with the team they had last year doesn't make you the next coming of Bill Friggin Belichik. Let's see him win with lesser talent. Rather than worry so much about Blade you better pray that HB ergo Hillsboro doesn't lose those open zones and if they do you better pray they keep all of Edgehill. Obviously, you are too young to remember, but in the pre-Aydelott days HB ergo Hillsboro was a doormat for years. The year Mose was a senior they were good. Other than that they were pretty bad for quite a long time. As the illustrious runtheball mentioned, Overton used to have the bulk of Edgehill, which is where they got most of their athletes and...shock and awe...they won the state. Then HB ergo Hillsboro gets them and...shazam...they're good. Then they get open zones and magnet kids and...double shazam...they win every year. So let's see...the theme here seems to be...where the athletes go, so go the wins. Coaches make a difference, but athletes make a bigger one. Look up some Bear Bryant quotes if you don't believe that.

First of all, yes I am fully aware that HHS was a doormat in football before Aydelott arrived. Thank you for reminding why the present situation at HHS is 100 times better despite still not being the best it could be. I know about Mose Phillips as well. They didn't used to refer to HHS as "Pillsboro" for nothing you know. Btw, When have I ever said that HHS's open enrollment status didn't benefit their football program tremendously? All I have said is it ain't the cushy coaching job some folks looking on from the outside make it out to be. The support is limited. Funds are limited. It is, after all still in MNPS.

Blade is overrated in the since that he isn't the next Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick...okay I'll give you that. I don't think I ever insinuated that though. However, I'd easily put him in the top 5 football coaches in TN high school football right now. Quarles and Rankin are obviously 1A and 1B. The only thing I base it on is that Blade was able to defeat Maryville (without his starting QB) in the State Championship game when "everyone" said it couldn't be done by anyone except Alcoa or maybe a 5A(6A) school in coming years. He has gone 37-5 in 3 years at HHS (only losses to Maryville, MBA, Maplewood, Franklin, MBA) and has one 4A State Championship and one 4A State Runner-Up.

Comparatively, Aydelott was unable to defeat Maryville TWICE with FAR SUPERIOR talent than Blade (i.e. Blade did win with LESS talent by HHS football standards of the 2000's decade) did in 2008. Something's gotta give on your whole argument that Blade is only winning at HHS due to their great athletes that they get from the Edgehill zone. Obviously, Blade was able to take good talent and get it to play together and accomplish something that hadn't been done before. My personal opinion on the talent at HHS: they have been UNDERACHIEVING over the last 8 years (excepting 2004). Three silver footballs that could have been gold, but alas they aren't.

SO, why are you so adamant about Blade definitely staying at HHS when he is too "overrated" for other schools to want hire him? Why do you think it is irrelevant whether Blade stays at HHS? Based on what YOU say about their talent that comes from their open enrollment status, it sounds like HHS should steamroll all of District 11-AAA with or without Blade.....ya know just like they were doing to Maryville the prior 3 times they played them.

Okay I'll give you USN and the school for math and science. I stand corrected. However the other school mentioned are unique in each way. All I am saying is that each metro school whether it be Hillsboro or a magnet school or even Hillwood are unique in their own ways. Hillsboro is a good school I just dont think its any better than the other metro schools that are on that level. Hillsboro isnt much different from Overton, Antioch, or Cane Ridge. If anything Cane Ridge is the newest and most technological school so they could say that they are unique too. Just a thought.

Gilligan is Scott Smith. He coached at Antioch, Ezell, Greenbrier, Indy, and is now at Science Hill. He's a good coach who according to spoon wants back in metro. Would he do well at Hillsboro, yep. Many would. Coach Komisar would obviously be a better transition and is already in the building. The only question there would be is his experience as a head coach. But hey you have to start somewhere. I am kindof surprised Coach K hasnt gone after some of the open jobs if he hasnt.

I strongly disagree about Hillsboro being overall on the same level of Overton, Antioch, Cane Ridge, etc. However, I will have my belief and you will have yours about it I suppose. The only drawback in opportunities I can say about HHS that is OBVIOUS is that the marching band is the most pitiful thing, but they do have a great music program overall.

Thanks for explaining who "Gilligan" is. I acknowledge my ignorance of his credentials as a football coach. I don't know, I can only hope you are correct about the belief that many coaches would do well at HHS. TheSpoon has already made it abundantly clear to me that it is irrelevant whether Blade is coaching at HHS or not, HHS football is going downhill fast in District 11-AAA.