wrestling colleges?

shaggmaster

Ok so this is my 2nd year wrestling and I am a senior. I have really fallen in love with the sport. last yea I stunk I had a loosing record and like 1/3 of my wins were form forefits.

Over the summer I practiced alot. I now have a 20-5 record and have got 3 medals.

heres my prolbem. Im a decent wrestler and know that I can wrestle for a college just not a really big college like UT chat. Or kings college. Cuz I dont have enough expirence I know I will be able to trransfer to one my senior or junior year in college but im not quite ready. I really need help finding a small college preferrably in TN cuz I want to stay in state but it dosent really matter as long as I get on the team.

can someone give me a list of names of colleges that I can look for???

thanks guys =)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so this is my 2nd year wrestling and I am a senior. I have really fallen in love with the sport. last yea I stunk I had a loosing record and like 1/3 of my wins were form forefits.

Over the summer I practiced alot. I now have a 20-5 record and have got 3 medals.

heres my prolbem. Im a decent wrestler and know that I can wrestle for a college just not a really big college like UT chat. Or kings college. Cuz I dont have enough expirence I know I will be able to trransfer to one my senior or junior year in college but im not quite ready. I really need help finding a small college preferrably in TN cuz I want to stay in state but it dosent really matter as long as I get on the team.

thanks guys =)

King college is small and may be a fit for you. UTC is D-1 and very competitive so your chances of succeeding there with your present experiance are small. What is really important is you bring good grades, a good ACT and good character to the table. With limited high school credentials you need to have realistic expectations from a college program. Big money to wrestle is rare so if you need financial aid you better have the grades. If the coaches like you and believe you have potential you will likely get some money to wrestle, probably not more than 5-10% of tutition, but other grants and funds are out there. King College, Cumberland University, and possibly Carson Newman are some in state schools you may want to check out. If you are religious and / or thinking of a career in the ministry check out Temple in Chattanooga. Most small programs want bodies in the room. If you are a hard worker I would expect you will be welcome to participate just don't expect to have money thrown at you. One of the best ways to catch a coach's eye is to attend a summer camp at the college ( most offer one geared to high school wrestlers ) and work your butt off. Good luck

thanks guys =)

It's limited in TN. NAIA Cumberland, D-II Carson Newman,

Then club team at MTSU, Maryville Coll etc.

KY has a few NAIA Campbellsville, Cumberland Coll

Not cheap but good small schools. Make sure you have a highlight DVD to send. If they like you they may offer you some type of fin aide!

Check this site it may help.

http://www.wrestlingusa.com/02%20wusa%20we...ollegenews.html

Good luck

thanks guys =)

hey buddy...

I am Anthony Shingler APSU's team president/assistant coach.... I can tell you right now APSU or king college would be the way to go... If your ACT and GPA is decent you can almost promise you that you will be able to go to austin peay with little cost or with any loans... NExt season we are beefing up our schedule, with duels against NCAA,NJCAA, and NAIA programs. IF you would like to speak with me further, you can email me at anthony.shingler@gmail.com or call me at 931-980-1583....I would be glad to help you out looking for a school for you, I have a lot of knowledge of the wrestling programs in tennessee and Kentucky....

It's limited in TN. NAIA Cumberland, D-II Carson Newman,

Then club team at MTSU, Maryville Coll etc.

KY has a few NAIA Campbellsville, Cumberland Coll

Not cheap but good small schools. Make sure you have a highlight DVD to send. If they like you they may offer you some type of fin aide!

Good luck

Maryville folded their program.

well here are my grades and stuff

I got a 24 on my act

I have a 2.6667 gpa

and an over grade of 86% or higher....

@apsu= apsu would be a good choice for me since I live in clarksville but im kinda trying to get away from the house and learn what the real life is all about.

As of last season, Temple's program is scholarship. The coach is still recruiting like crazy. Right now, he is looking for quality wrestlers to keep his numbers up. Their coach is a heck of a guy, former Navy Seal...he was so impressed by a couple of guys I had last year, he drove from Chattanooga to Lebanon to take them down for a weekend to visit the campus. But be warned...this guy will work your butt. Also, they do a lot of practices and off season workouts with UTC so you will get that experience too. If this sounds like something you are interested in e-mail me at kevinlhs037@yahoo.com. Good luck to you this year!!!

well here are my grades and stuff

I got a 24 on my act

I have a 2.6667 gpa

and an over grade of 86% or higher....

@apsu= apsu would be a good choice for me since I live in clarksville but im kinda trying to get away from the house and learn what the real life is all about.

The ACT is decent. If you have only taken it once you may wish to try one of the prep courses and take it again. If you could add 4 points or so more financial aid will be available. GPA fair but not a disaster, pretty late in the game , anything you could do in the last semester to bring it up is worth a try. If your school has any college courses you could take give them a try.

Keep wrestling. Good luck.

What about the big college picture? Any info on Iowa, Michigan, etc? How would one get contacts and information on the big D1 schools and others with strong programs with scholarships?

Thanks for the posts with all of this information!!!

If you are serious about a D-1 program with scholarship you HAVE to get out and do well in NATIONAL tournaments. Jr's, Sr's, Fargo etc. Win one of these and people will be contacting you.