Good player, bad team

please

I'm curious about good or even great players playing for bad teams. Should you stay the course because the grass is never greener on the other side? .

I know of many players who never get recognized because their teams never leave the distrct or regional tournament. Playing on a sub .500 team couldn't be fun for your whole high school career.

If you are young (elem or middle school) and you know your program will not be good when you get to high school, what are the pros and cons of transferring to a known program before you get to the high school level?

I'm curious about good or even great players playing for bad teams. Should you stay the course because the grass is never greener on the other side? .

I know of many players who never get recognized because their teams never leave the distrct or regional tournament. Playing on a sub .500 team couldn't be fun for your whole high school career.

If you are young (elem or middle school) and you know your program will not be good when you get to high school, what are the pros and cons of transferring to a known program before you get to the high school level?

I am sure that you are talking about the entire family making a move, aren't you? Aren't you supposed to go to the school you are zoned for????? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

What if child likes their school, transfers to a lower academic school just for athletics and blows their knee out, or some other season, or God forbid career ending injury?

I just do not see the justification of moving just to be on a good team, although I do "occasionally" hear of it happening, even in public ("gasp") schools /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

If you are "that good" you should be able to "carry" your team - depending on what level (a-aa-aaa). I would go the wherever I am going to play the most - only way to get better. - If you are good enough - you may not make the "all district/region or whatever teams" - but folk that know basketball will notice you......Plus if you are "that good" the privates or stronger programs in ur area will notice you and will want you to transfer -- "the way to make your team better is to make yourself better" - John Wooden

This applies to football but...........there is a Quaterback named Flacco that plays for some team named the Ravens that made it through JR PRO, HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE and never played for a team that was above .500. In other words he never played for a winning team. Good player on a bad team, to the max.

Play aau the right people will see you then.

Many moons ago, 6 years. I was on the other end of this argument that one of my players dad felt that she would get more exposure if she played at another school. She and my daughter were the leading scorers as sophs. She averaged 14 pts a game several steals and rebounds. Both girls had played AAU together for several years. The summer after thier soph years the other young lady's dad decide to move her. He and his wife filed papers and he brought a house in another town. She went up there and got to play in the AA state tournament. Had success.

she had a solid senior year averaging 10 pts a game. The point of the move was exposure. She recieved a couple of D2 offers to smaller schools but didn't have the stats to go bigger. There is no doubt she could have played at a higher level. She ended up being a DIII all-american. At our school she would have averaged 15 plus points and had the opportunity to play at a larger school. She got a tremendous college education but gave up friendships she had had her entire life. When I went to watch her play as a freshman, her dad told me he had made a mistake.

Point being, move if you want, but realize that basketball is a game. Do not put it above the well-being of your family or friends. I know that many will say it is their way out but a solid education is what is important. Each family must decide what is best.

Many moons ago, 6 years. I was on the other end of this argument that one of my players dad felt that she would get more exposure if she played at another school. She and my daughter were the leading scorers as sophs. She averaged 14 pts a game several steals and rebounds. Both girls had played AAU together for several years. The summer after thier soph years the other young lady's dad decide to move her. He and his wife filed papers and he brought a house in another town. She went up there and got to play in the AA state tournament. Had success.

she had a solid senior year averaging 10 pts a game. The point of the move was exposure. She recieved a couple of D2 offers to smaller schools but didn't have the stats to go bigger. There is no doubt she could have played at a higher level. She ended up being a DIII all-american. At our school she would have averaged 15 plus points and had the opportunity to play at a larger school. She got a tremendous college education but gave up friendships she had had her entire life. When I went to watch her play as a freshman, her dad told me he had made a mistake.

Point being, move if you want, but realize that basketball is a game. Do not put it above the well-being of your family or friends. I know that many will say it is their way out but a solid education is what is important. Each family must decide what is best.

She turned out with an outstanding education, not sure how much bigger she could have gone, certainly not D1. Her family was definately willing to do things for their kids that not many families are capable of....How is Don doing? I liked the guy, and he would do anything to help you...

She turned out with an outstanding education, not sure how much bigger she could have gone, certainly not D1. Her family was definately willing to do things for their kids that not many families are capable of....How is Don doing? I liked the guy, and he would do anything to help you...

I agree about how far parents are willing to go, I know of parents moving their son from a small school his freshman year to 5a school, his sophmore year to a 3a school, and then out of state his junior & senior year and in my opinon each move was for lack of words esposure. The school that he first left probably will never win a state titile or go very far in district play. The other 3 schools had great programs. This young man was only 5"10 150lbs. He started every year he played with sucess. He got a full scholarship at Ga Tech ,played for Bobby Cremmons 4 years not as a starter but played a lot. After college Coach Cremmons took the position at College of Charleston and took this young man along as an assistant. Currently he is in a D1 school in South Carolina as an assistant.

This is a sucess story, but all do not turn out this way. I think someone already said that it comes down to a family decision an however the outcome they have to live it.

As I stated parents can decide what is best for their child. She could have played at most D2 schools. Yelp he is one of those guys that is so outwardly focused that you can not believe he is real...I know that I could still ask him for a favor and he would do his best to do it. She is in law school I believe, she didn't want to be cold and alone in Iceland.....