Mark Sherrod

wbcsoccerstud11

In my mind and others, Brandon Tarr is way over-rated. Yes he was a very good player several years ago when playing for the national team, but most everyone has caught up to him in size and speed. The last several of years he has become more and more lazy and less productive. And yes, if you play him the perfect ball he has the ability to finish it, but he doesn't have the work rate that Mark Sherrod has. Honestly when I saw CAK play I thought they were much more effective without Brandon. Mark Sherrod will do the work necessary to create goal opportunities.

I can tell you that Brandon is WAY over rated at bowling. Wow, is he bad. Hopefully he can take a course at USC and improve his skills. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I agree that Mark has a GREAT work ethic. And he is a natural finisher. Those are quite rare these days.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind and others, Brandon Tarr is way over-rated. Yes he was a very good player several years ago when playing for the national team, but most everyone has caught up to him in size and speed. The last several of years he has become more and more lazy and less productive. And yes, if you play him the perfect ball he has the ability to finish it, but he doesn't have the work rate that Mark Sherrod has. Honestly when I saw CAK play I thought they were much more effective without Brandon. Mark Sherrod will do the work necessary to create goal opportunities.

You may know more than I do, and I am not sticking up for a player from CAK b/c Tom is a friend, but to say brandon is way over rated is a statement I would have to challenge. You would take him on your team in a second and gameplan for him if he was an opponent. He is in college now and we should all hope he does well along with all of our young men playing at the next level. Mark is an amazing player so I think we should stay on subject with him and not take shots at a young man who is now gone on to the next level.

In my opinion Mark is a great player! I just think his team get to much recognition because of him.

Like I said last year stop Sherrod stop Carter! It still holds true this year.

Iraqimagic I agree than Sherrod is a better player than Tarr. I would say a better teammate too! Especially with the work rate Mark has and leadership skills.

You may know more than I do, and I am not sticking up for a player from CAK b/c Tom is a friend, but to say brandon is way over rated is a statement I would have to challenge. You would take him on your team in a second and gameplan for him if he was an opponent. He is in college now and we should all hope he does well along with all of our young men playing at the next level. Mark is an amazing player so I think we should stay on subject with him and not take shots at a young man who is now gone on to the next level.

I would agree with you on this (and not just because he was one of my boys). While he had his idiosyncrasies, I am glad that he played FOR us and not against us!

Say what you want, but not too many people that I know can say that they played on the United States National team. Besides, most people didn't look beyond the "soccer" of Brandon, and he drew a fair amount of criticism. I got to know the young man and truly enjoyed being around him.

That's one thing I like about Mark. While I haven't been around him a lot, he is a nice kid to be around. I think it says a fair amount about him that even though his team has not progressed as far as they would have liked, he still has made "All State" for the past 2 (or it might be 3) years.

And to close, I would like to reiterate what Akula said in his last sentence. I think it's fine to sing the praises of a talented young man (Mark) but let's be careful not do so at the expense of any other (Brandon or any player) especially when neither of these boys are going to get on these boards and talk.

OK, I'm sold...

A player with a great work ethic is all I needed to hear. Most "star" forwards are coddled and get away with sluffing off (some coaches think should stand and let the rest of the team work to get them the ball), but its the ones that practice hard, love the game and work to get goals who succeed.

I look forward to watching him play for the Tigers.

was brandon tarr hurt this year or get red shirted because did not see any stats for him

Brandon got injured in a summer tournament and missed the first part of the season. By the time that he healed, they decided it would be in his best interest to red shirt, and still have 4 years to compete.

Mark Sherrod is an outstanding forward with one of the best work rates of any player I have ever seen. Having played some club ball with him as well, he is a great teammate. He never comes down on anyone nor is he arrogant. O yea did I mention he will be competing at the D-1 level w/ the Memphis Tigers next year? Yes, Mark Sherrod is the real deal.

Is he the best in the state? Hard to say, because I haven't seen a lot of teams play outside of Knoxville and in A/AA. I would say, though, that he is one of the best. He hasn't gotten as much press or recognition state wide because of his team not advancing to sectionals or the state tournament (which I believe is because Carter is in one of the toughest A/AA regions in TN). He is a goal scorer and has great size.

But to top all of that, is the fact that he is a great kid. I know that I have sung his praises many times before on these threads, but mostly because he doesn't get on here to defend himself, and also because he doesn't ask for any recognition.

Let's just be sure to keep this positive. I am not saying that you can't disagree with his talent level, just remember this is a young man (and a classy one at that) and somebody's son. Too often we forget that, and hammer these kids like they were professional athletes.

Besides, anyone who can put up with Coach Chunn is ok with me! (Just giving you a hard time there coach! I hope to see you at the camp in February!)

OUCH! Yes, I plan on being at the camp in February....

I have heard great things about Mark but (unless I just did not know who he was during select play) have never seen him play. Any teenager who has a great work ethic is ahead of the curve. That along with being a team player will help him at any level he chooses to work at trying to attain. I hope Carter does well enough to get to state this year where I might have the opportunity to see him play.