thrown out

cheathamboys

What happened? More details, please.

The Radio guy was for the CUBS!! And held his hand up and a (Parent) behind him was doing that Screaming THING and they!!!! THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! picked out the radio GUY WHO was a former CHEATHAM Parent!!! And was removed from the PROPERTY of the School of Sycamore!!!!! Then the one WHO FACED off with the REFF. was allowed to stay on SCHOOL PROPERTY!!!

What most folks don't realize is that the Referees can throw out anyone they feel is disrupting the game. If they can toss a player or a coach why wouldn't they be able to toss a fan or a media member?

In my early days of doing media work I sometimes would get upset about a call and say something or yell something. Fortunately I had refs at those games who took time to explain to me that I had to maintain a higher standard if I was going to the floor or right on the field. They told me that I could either work or I could go to the bleachers and cheer. They were trying to call a game and didn't have time to be distracted by me who was supposed to be a working professional at the game and not just the average loon fan.

So _IF_ the radio broadcaster got into the middle of a situation already going on they would probably get tossed. I wasn't there and I don't know who was right or wrong.

I've also seen refs with very thin skin go off on someone who blinked at them so to speak and toss them out. They should be tough enough to wear the shirt and take the mouthing they know they're going to get.

But the bottom line is simple. Yes the ref has the right to throw out ANYONE if they deem it necessary. If they're wrong then someone should file a complaint. I've also seen officials punished once in a blue moon when they cross the line.

DL.

What most folks don't realize is that the Referees can throw out anyone they feel is disrupting the game. If they can toss a player or a coach why wouldn't they be able to toss a fan or a media member?

In my early days of doing media work I sometimes would get upset about a call and say something or yell something. Fortunately I had refs at those games who took time to explain to me that I had to maintain a higher standard if I was going to the floor or right on the field. They told me that I could either work or I could go to the bleachers and cheer. They were trying to call a game and didn't have time to be distracted by me who was supposed to be a working professional at the game and not just the average loon fan.

So _IF_ the radio broadcaster got into the middle of a situation already going on they would probably get tossed. I wasn't there and I don't know who was right or wrong.

I've also seen refs with very thin skin go off on someone who blinked at them so to speak and toss them out. They should be tough enough to wear the shirt and take the mouthing they know they're going to get.

But the bottom line is simple. Yes the ref has the right to throw out ANYONE if they deem it necessary. If they're wrong then someone should file a complaint. I've also seen officials punished once in a blue moon when they cross the line.

DL.

At the Cannon County Smith County game the other night @ or near the end of the 4th 2 refs were between the half court line and foul line talking. One ref who had been having a bad night call the third ref who was on the opposite end of the court standing @ the foul line waiting for the time out to end so play could begin. That single ref was called all the way over to the other end of the court for a talk. The ref in the bad mood talked to other two refs with the basketball stuck to his mouth so no one could see what he was saying. They had not been doing that all night. When I seen that I knew someone was going to have a bad night. He may have been trying to get someone to go start his car to heat up after the game I don't know! When they huddle up like that both teams better watch out. The game was won by Cannon County on a last second shot against a very good Smith County! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

At the Cannon County Smith County game the other night @ or near the end of the 4th 2 refs were between the half court line and foul line talking. One ref who had been having a bad night call the third ref who was on the opposite end of the court standing @ the foul line waiting for the time out to end so play could begin. That single ref was called all the way over to the other end of the court for a talk. The ref in the bad mood talked to other two refs with the basketball stuck to his mouth so no one could see what he was saying. They had not been doing that all night. When I seen that I knew someone was going to have a bad night. He may have been trying to get someone to go start his car to heat up after the game I don't know! When they huddle up like that both teams better watch out. The game was won by Cannon County on a last second shot against a very good Smith County! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

this is a procedure that all officials should follow. at the end of close games and games where both teams have been very intense; we come together to let each other know what could possibly happen in the remaining time of the game. for instance, team A is ahead by one with 15 seconds on the clock and will get the ball after a called timeout. team B wants the ball so they can score. team A will shoot ft's if team B fouls. but even if team A hits both ft's, team B will have the opportunity to score if there is enough time on the scoreboard. the officials will come together during the timeout and talk about situations like this. we had a game the other night and the team that was ahead only had 3 team fouls. with 20+ seconds on the clock, we got together and discussed what we should look for so that things don't catch us off guard. i told my partners to be aware for fouls by the team that was ahead. one of my partners said that was crazy; but when the game resumed, the team that was ahead let 7 - 8 seconds run off and fouled. now the offensive team has 12 - 13 seconds to get a shot off instead of 20+. good coaching!! good officiating!! we as officials have to know the game as well as players, coaches, and spectators. its like an onside kick when team a is behind and needs the ball; everyone knows its coming so the officials get ready for it just like the receiving team. hope this helps a little and sorry so long. also, they (officials) should have met where the ball was going to be put in play as opposed to midcourt.

this is a procedure that all officials should follow. at the end of close games and games where both teams have been very intense; we come together to let each other know what could possibly happen in the remaining time of the game. for instance, team A is ahead by one with 15 seconds on the clock and will get the ball after a called timeout. team B wants the ball so they can score. team A will shoot ft's if team B fouls. but even if team A hits both ft's, team B will have the opportunity to score if there is enough time on the scoreboard. the officials will come together during the timeout and talk about situations like this. we had a game the other night and the team that was ahead only had 3 team fouls. with 20+ seconds on the clock, we got together and discussed what we should look for so that things don't catch us off guard. i told my partners to be aware for fouls by the team that was ahead. one of my partners said that was crazy; but when the game resumed, the team that was ahead let 7 - 8 seconds run off and fouled. now the offensive team has 12 - 13 seconds to get a shot off instead of 20+. good coaching!! good officiating!! we as officials have to know the game as well as players, coaches, and spectators. its like an onside kick when team a is behind and needs the ball; everyone knows its coming so the officials get ready for it just like the receiving team. hope this helps a little and sorry so long. also, they (officials) should have met where the ball was going to be put in play as opposed to midcourt.

Thanks that helps alot. I feel that officals in a close games /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> situations will happen that no one can anticipate. I would like to just let them play and let the teams and coaches decide the outcome. I know that officals have a hard job not counting some fans with the faster pace game that is played today. I played in late 60's early 70's with 2 officals and no 3 point line if you were under the goal at either end you had better be there to take care of business. Again thanks for the explanation.

I agree. This does help fans understand what discussions could be about. I appreciate the insight.