so you think you've seen everything?

lazarus

i cant quit going to high school basketball games. i just have to see what happens next.

every time i think i have seen everything, i see something entirely else.

perhaps the strangest situation of all came in a game this year:

it started out as a routine free throw,

but when the shot was missed, the defensive player on the block rebounded and put it back in.

not so strange? we have all seen wrong basket shots.

but what set this one apart was that an offensive player fouled him in the act.

while the officials discussed the play, i racked my brains for the appropriate enforcement.

does the shot count, and the player shoots a free throw on the wrong basket?

does the shot count, and he gets the "and one" on his own basket?

does the shot count, and he shoots two on his own basket?

do they wave off the basket and he shoots two on his own basket?

the official verdict?

they waved off the basket and gave the fouled team possession under the basket (that was scored on).

the official told me afterwards there is a rule that a team can not "gain advantage" by fouling.

has anyone seen a stranger play than that one?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant quit going to high school basketball games. i just have to see what happens next.

but when the shot was missed, the defensive player on the block rebounded and put it back in.

while the officials discussed the play, i racked my brains for the appropriate enforcement.

the official verdict?

they waved off the basket and gave the fouled team possession under the basket (that was scored on).

the official told me afterwards there is a rule that a team can not "gain advantage" by fouling.

Never seen this before; but, I have to question the ruling. I believe you have to count the basket for team A (fouling team) and give the ball to team B (shooting team) at the spot of the foul. If team B is in the bonus, we would go to the other end and shoot those freethrows. Other than a player control, team control foul, and correctable errors, anytime someone throws the ball in the basket in an act of shooting, points have to be scored.

Never seen this before; but, I have to question the ruling. I believe you have to count the basket for team A (fouling team) and give the ball to team B (shooting team) at the spot of the foul. If team B is in the bonus, we would go to the other end and shoot those freethrows. Other than a player control, team control foul, and correctable errors, anytime someone throws the ball in the basket in an act of shooting, points have to be scored.

I agree with you on the ruling.

the official verdict?

i jus gotta know, how mad was the coach of the boy on the defensive team that shot the ball in the wrong basket? lol.... if i were there i woulda beenf9d!!!! was the game close? did the boy that fouled actually get the foul put on him in the books?

The ball becomes dead when player B fouls. You can only be considered "in the act of shooting" if its at your teams basket. So the officials were right in waving off the basket and giving the ball to Team A.

If the foul put team A in the bonus then you will go to the other basket and shoot the bonus.

Say the wrong team shoots a three pointer at the other teams basket do you count it as a three or two?

Or if the player shoots a long distance three pointer and it falls way short but bounces off the floor and goes into the basket before the horn sounds?

one of the strangest things i saw was at a summer game 2 years ago with Pickett Co. and some team from Indiana. PC was up by 2 after a basket by the other team with 2 something left in the fourth the Indiana team had set up a press PC inbounded to there point guard right off the baseline they had a player snowbird and got behind the press the pg turned and yelled his name and threw possibly the worst pass ive ever seen which turned into a full court bank shot everyone was so shocked the players and refs stopped for about ten seconds before the relized play was still going on

I have never seen a basket waived off for a player shooting at ,the wrong goal,on the long 3 pointer even if it bounced off the floor the goal is good,and I have seen this happen before.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote..

If a team fouls a player- for it to be considered to be in the act of shooting- you have to have team control and it has to be a try or a tap, a try is considered an act of shooting at his/ hers own team basket. So if the player is fouled when he is shooting at the opponents basket the ball is whistled dead immediately and it doesn't matter what happens to the ball after it's dead.

Next play- If a player shoots a three point attempt at the wrong teams basket it will count as two points to the opponent not three points cause it too has to be considered at their own teams basket to be three points.

Next play- If the ball is shot and lands on the floor then goes in it will be counted as two points. Because the three point try ended when the ball hit the floor. So there after the ball is still live however, it went in the basket.. Its the same thing as a player shooting at the wrong basket.

one of the strangest things i saw was at a summer game 2 years ago with Pickett Co. and some team from Indiana. PC was up by 2 after a basket by the other team with 2 something left in the fourth the Indiana team had set up a press PC inbounded to there point guard right off the baseline they had a player snowbird and got behind the press the pg turned and yelled his name and threw possibly the worst pass ive ever seen which turned into a full court bank shot everyone was so shocked the players and refs stopped for about ten seconds before the relized play was still going on

Once saw a youth game the coach of one of the teams grab his streaking point guard (headed towards the wrong basket for an easy layup) by the shirt as he passed in front of the bench. Realizing that at this age, made free throws were a miracle from God, he chose the technical instead of the high percentage layup. And he was right.

Noone even argued the obvious backcourt as he got the offensive rebound and headed the other direction?

Once saw a youth game the coach of one of the teams grab his streaking point guard (headed towards the wrong basket for an easy layup) by the shirt as he passed in front of the bench. Realizing that at this age, made free throws were a miracle from God, he chose the technical instead of the high percentage layup. And he was right.

Noone even argued the obvious backcourt as he got the offensive rebound and headed the other direction?

I was at an NAIA college game this Saturday - girl shoots the ball and doesn' t hit nothing and then the shot clock went off. The defensive team got the ball. The player that got the ball, throws the ball to the ref that was standing out of bounds under the basket - no whistle was blown or play stopped due to shot clock going off because the defensive team got rebound as clock went off. Then the ref - out of bounds - throws the ball back to the same defensive player and she throws the ball in like after a made basket -- ball should have gone back to the shooting team since defensive team threw the ball out of bounds ... Offensive coach caught it - and yelled at ref to no avail - it was was a weird looking play......