Manassas @ Middleton 1/20/09

Legend

Defense cannot be contained. Blocks came from 5'9" players trying to draw fouls. Buckner is allowed ( because of his height ) to camp under the nets and block balls out of mid air. Just don't take them to him because he will not move out 3 ft from where he stands. Stats cannot tell you this. Stats do not tell you that Buckner lagged in getting down the court. There are many things that Stats will not tell you. Stats have Manassas ranked as #3, even Legend doesn't like Stats.

those same APs had HB over Manassas last year!!! 37-67 after the 3rd!!!! lol!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

let me ask you this how would u defend manassas and beat them if you were a HB coach????

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats also tell me when they are playing highly ranked teams and Buckner is still consistently getting those numbers he is not a bad player /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Also getting a free ride to Ole Miss on a basketball scholarship also tells me he ain't that bad. You don't get nationally ranked playing bad ball.

That's true - the fact is he was contained offensively in this game, and that's what is needed to put up a good fight. This kid can go anywhere he wants, he will become the ball player they need him, that is no doubt.

His height and wing spand was impressing, the fact that he apeared to get tired after the first 4 mins of play can be used to another teams advantage.

I'm not taking anything away from this kid - he has capabilities greater than any player I've seen this year, but they were not shown or middleton slowed him greatly.

Trying to get Buckner in foul trouble isn't the way to contain him - that's what Middleton attempted to do. He had no need to foul with the wing spand he had and he didn't foul.

He's no Tyler of TN, when Tyler played for Giles Co. He went coast to coast around defender and everthing - this kid doesn't do that. He's good and will become great, but he played lazy last night very lazy.

Stats aren't telling you that.

What I was told by a close friend that attended the game: Manassas plays very similar to Humboldt defensively. They have the tall kid (Buckner) they have number #35 who can dish the 3's out pretty well. They don't beat you off the dribble and Buckner is weak, He's big but he folds under pressure. Had quite a few turnovers tonight. Can't place the ball on the floor well, and he doesn't run the floor at all. They have a kid off the bench that's pretty strong he may be a freshman - I think that's what was written in the back of his head. They play full court man to man except for Buckner He just camps under the nets and stops lay ups, he will not step 3 ft away from the goal. Bukner folds when there's back side help, play him in front with your best post player. Deny him the ball, don't let it get in his hands. He can't fight for it and he can't establish position. Get back side help. He has to push to become free. Although Middleton didn't win they played him pretty well. #35 and the 3's made the margin so great early in the game. They pressure your point guard and leave your wings open. They also sub pretty well. 95% of the time that Bukner put the ball on the floor he turned it over.

If Middleton would have pulled the shot b4 the lay up and took more open 3's - game would have been closer. Buckner only contested the layup. He let the shots inside the foul line fall.

I don't know who told you all that but if you believe all that you are MISTAKEN BIG TIME. To say Buckner is weak, can't dribble, and folds under pressure is a bunch of BS. Your talking about one of the top highschool players in the country and some local HOMER gets on a message board and says the complete opposite of what some of the best basketball minds in the country say........If Buckner was so weak why would you try your best to deny him the ball.....the you say he can't fight for and establish position....yeah right!!!!!!!!!! News Flash.....most post players have to push to become free!!!!!!! they don't just let you have it..........Oh and one other thing..Buckner own the paint, it would take a fool to move him defensively.......Buckner shuts down the paint and the other team becoames one diminsional.....DUH!!!!!!!! Buckner is one of the best shot blockers in the country.did you know that?

From reading your post one would think that has to be the weakest 17 points, 14 rebounds, and 8 blocks in the history of basketball.......most likey in less than three quarters of slightly over that.....Stats don't lie!!!!!!!!!!!

If that was somebody from the Humboldt coaching staff that told you that they are going to be in SHOCK if/when these two teams meet.

I can't believe you actually attached your screename to something as crazy as that post.

Now, since you have given everybody yourr take on how bad Buckner is....Give us all yuor take on Taylor and Crayton.

You do know Buckner turned down Kentucky to go to Ole Miss...Right!!!!!!!!! You do know Buckner is ranked the #30 players in the country....Right......I got an idea for everybody.....believe what was posted about Buckner and totally discount the follwoing:

OXFORD, Miss. ??“ Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy announced Wednesday that the men??™s basketball team has received a national letter of intent from highly touted high school senior Reginald Buckner, who will join the Rebels for the 2009-10 academic year.

A 6-foot-8, 210-pound native of Memphis, Tenn., Buckner is rated among the top 30 high school senior prospects in the nation and the No. 5 small forward in the nation by Unapproved Website. He is also ranked among the country??™s top 100 players by Scout.com and Hoop Scoop.

???You??™ve got to like a guy who can play the small forward or power forward position and who has a skill set like Reginald,??? said Unapproved Website basketball recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer. ???He does a great job handling the ball, he can pass, and he knows how to score. Defensively, he can guard different positions and uses his quickness to block shots. In a nutshell, it??™s his versatility that makes him a special player at around 6-8.???

???We are very excited about Reginald Buckner joining our program,??? Kennedy said. ???He is an outstanding young player that has that rare ability to truly affect the game on both ends of the court. His offensive versatility coupled with his innate ability to block shots gives him an opportunity to be a special player.???

Buckner led Manassas High School to a 35-6 record last year as a junior and helped the Tigers to their first Tennessee state tournament victory and title game berth in 23 years. A finalist for Tennessee??™s Class A Mr. Basketball and The Commercial Appeal's 2007-08 Pepsi Best of the Preps Player of the Year award, he averaged 16 points, 13.7 rebounds and 6.7 blocks for coach Gerald Harris??™ team during his junior season. As a sophomore, he posted 11.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 8.6 blocks and 4.3 assists per game.

Buckner has played AAU ball with the Memphis Hoopers, under the direction of coach Jerry Anthony. He also garnered national attention when he led his team to a tournament title at the prestigious Boo Williams Invitational this past summer. He earned MVP honors after scoring 19 points (8-11 from the field) and posting 11 rebounds and four blocked shots in the championship game.

Boo Williams Tournement: By Jerry Myer

Hall's inside partner Reginald Buckner has officially jumped onto the national scene with his impressive play Friday night. Every bit as athletic, if not more, as Hall, Buckner blocked three shots as an ever present defensive threat around the basket. Looking good with the ball in his hands, he also scored nine points on only four shot attempts with his new travel team.

By Yancy Porter

Mississippi Scout

Posted Jul 3, 2008

The Rebels pegged the 6' 8", 200 pound small forward as their number one high school target and it looks like their hard word paid off.

"I committed to Ole Miss just a few minutes ago," stated Reggie Buckner. "I just felt like it was time to go ahead and do it. Their staff came laid out the red carpet for me."

The 4 star small forward attended the Ole Miss Elite Camp in June and left with the Rebels on his mind.

"They showed me around their facilities and showed me the plans for their new (indoor) facility when I get there. They showed me a good time. I pretty much knew then that it was the place for me. I just wanted to go back home and think things over and talk it over with my mom."

Who else was Buckner considering before he committed to Ole Miss?

"Kentucky, UTEP, and Missouri were also coming after me pretty hard but Ole Miss was just the best place for me. I went over to the Missouri Elite camp last month and my coaches loved it over there and loved their facilities, but it just did not feel right for me and I left with Ole Miss still on my mind. Coach Webster from Kentucky flew down here once and has been calling and recruiting me real hard, but I did not have that relationship with them like I did with Coach (Torrey) Ward (from Ole Miss) and those guys. UTEP was recruiting me real hard too, same as Ole Miss, but the distance was just too far."

Coach Jerry Anthony, Reggie's assistant from Manassas, believes the Rebels have found themselves an impact player.

"He is probably the most versatile player I have seen come through Memphis since Penny Hardaway," added Coach Anthony. "There has not been anyone with his size since Penny who can handle and pass the ball like he does. He is a legit 6' 8" small forward that has a good chance to play in the pros one day. A lot of the recruiting sites have Reggie as the number one player in Memphis this year over Leslie McDonald and Ferrakohn Hall."

Reggie was a late bloomer which hurt his national recognition until this summer.

But Buckner burst on to the scene this summer at the Boo Williams invitation.

"I think he caught a lot of people by surprise. He led his team to the tournament title over LeBron James' team and scored 19 points ( 8 - 11 from the field), 11 rebounds, and 4 blocked shots. He was named the MVP and then we started hearing from everyone. Kentucky has been on him really hard and Missouri has always been there from day one. But I really think it came down to Ole Miss, Missouri, and UTEP."

Why Ole Miss?

"Because of Coaches Torrey Ward and Andy Kennedy. Coach Ward came to more of his games than anybody, and he loved being around Coach Kennedy. Coach Kennedy came and saw him play and loved him. Coach Owen Miller also came to see him play and helped out with his recruitment. Reggie just fell in love with that coaching staff."

What can the Rebels expect?

"They can expect a lot of defensive energy and a very explosive kid who will fly around and dunk over you. He will also have a lot of highlight passes that will make you go wow. Reggie will bring his A game and play very hard every time he touches the ball."

Jerry Myer: recruiting analyst January 16, 2009

Although underappreciated nationally, I think very highly of Buckner. He didn't really hit the travel circuit until last summer, and he was out the month of July with an injury. His lack of exposure, not lack of talent, is why he is under ranked by other scouts.

At a long 6 feet 8, the best thing about Buckner is how he impacts the game in so many ways. Just check out these averages: 19 points, 14 rebounds, 7.5 blocks, 4.5 assists and 4.0 charges per game. In fact, Buckner is just 18 blocks away from becoming the all-time blocks leader for the state of Tennessee.

The one chink in Buckner's game is a lack of shooting range. If it weren't for that one weakness, Unapproved Website would have him as a five-star instead of the No. 30-ranked prospect in the country. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Buckner improves as a shooter and ends up in the NBA. I definitely expect his hard-nosed, versatile game to make an immediate impact for Ole Miss.

Top signees by position in each conference

By Unapproved Website recruiting staff

Nov 20, 3:59 pm EST

Point guard: Ramon Galloway, South Carolina

Shooting guard: Kenny Boynton, Florida

Small forward: Reginald Buckner, Ole Miss

Power forward: Marshawn Powell, Arkansas

Center: Daniel Orton, Kentucky

Justin Young

Unapproved Website Basketball RecruitingWhat a month April was.

Just like that, the evaluation period came and went and there were plenty of storylines to discuss now that the weekend tournaments are in the books.

Unapproved Website covered and evaluated prospects at the Boo Williams Invitational, Real Deal on the Hill, Kingwood Classic, King James Shooting Stars Classic, Double Pump Spring Classic and the Las Vegas Spring Showcase.

Memphis forward Reginald Buckner showed enough potential to have a long line of high-majors after him.

That's enough...believe me there is plenty more. Not sure who made the evaluationy you posted but I have seen Buckner in person mayself and it don't measure up (not even close ) to what I have seen. If people believe what you posted they will be in for a RUDE AWAKEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know who told you all that but if you believe all that you are MISTAKEN BIG TIME. To say Buckner is weak, can't dribble, and folds under pressure is a bunch of BS. Your talking about one of the top highschool players in the country and some local HOMER gets on a message board and says the complete opposite of what some of the best basketball minds in the country say........If Buckner was so weak why would you try your best to deny him the ball.....the you say he can't fight for and establish position....yeah right!!!!!!!!!! News Flash.....most post players have to push to become free!!!!!!! they don't just let you have it..........Oh and one other thing..Buckner own the paint, it would take a fool to move him defensively.......Buckner shuts down the paint and the other team becoames one diminsional.....DUH!!!!!!!! Buckner is one of the best shot blockers in the country.did you know that?

From reading your post one would think that has to be the weakest 17 points, 14 rebounds, and 8 blocks in the history of basketball.......most likey in less than three quarters of slightly over that.....Stats don't lie!!!!!!!!!!!

If that was somebody from the Humboldt coaching staff that told you that they are going to be in SHOCK if/when these two teams meet.

I can't believe you actually attached your screename to something as crazy as that post.

Now, since you have given everybody yourr take on how bad Buckner is....Give us all yuor take on Taylor and Crayton.

You do know Buckner turned down Kentucky to go to Ole Miss...Right!!!!!!!!! You do know Buckner is ranked the #30 players in the country....Right......I got an idea for everybody.....believe what was posted about Buckner and totally discount the follwoing:

OXFORD, Miss. ??“ Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy announced Wednesday that the men??™s basketball team has received a national letter of intent from highly touted high school senior Reginald Buckner, who will join the Rebels for the 2009-10 academic year.

A 6-foot-8, 210-pound native of Memphis, Tenn., Buckner is rated among the top 30 high school senior prospects in the nation and the No. 5 small forward in the nation by Unapproved Website. He is also ranked among the country??™s top 100 players by Scout.com and Hoop Scoop.

???You??™ve got to like a guy who can play the small forward or power forward position and who has a skill set like Reginald,??? said Unapproved Website basketball recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer. ???He does a great job handling the ball, he can pass, and he knows how to score. Defensively, he can guard different positions and uses his quickness to block shots. In a nutshell, it??™s his versatility that makes him a special player at around 6-8.???

???We are very excited about Reginald Buckner joining our program,??? Kennedy said. ???He is an outstanding young player that has that rare ability to truly affect the game on both ends of the court. His offensive versatility coupled with his innate ability to block shots gives him an opportunity to be a special player.???

Buckner led Manassas High School to a 35-6 record last year as a junior and helped the Tigers to their first Tennessee state tournament victory and title game berth in 23 years. A finalist for Tennessee??™s Class A Mr. Basketball and The Commercial Appeal's 2007-08 Pepsi Best of the Preps Player of the Year award, he averaged 16 points, 13.7 rebounds and 6.7 blocks for coach Gerald Harris??™ team during his junior season. As a sophomore, he posted 11.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 8.6 blocks and 4.3 assists per game.

Buckner has played AAU ball with the Memphis Hoopers, under the direction of coach Jerry Anthony. He also garnered national attention when he led his team to a tournament title at the prestigious Boo Williams Invitational this past summer. He earned MVP honors after scoring 19 points (8-11 from the field) and posting 11 rebounds and four blocked shots in the championship game.

Boo Williams Tournement: By Jerry Myer

Hall's inside partner Reginald Buckner has officially jumped onto the national scene with his impressive play Friday night. Every bit as athletic, if not more, as Hall, Buckner blocked three shots as an ever present defensive threat around the basket. Looking good with the ball in his hands, he also scored nine points on only four shot attempts with his new travel team.

By Yancy Porter

Mississippi Scout

Posted Jul 3, 2008

The Rebels pegged the 6' 8", 200 pound small forward as their number one high school target and it looks like their hard word paid off.

"I committed to Ole Miss just a few minutes ago," stated Reggie Buckner. "I just felt like it was time to go ahead and do it. Their staff came laid out the red carpet for me."

The 4 star small forward attended the Ole Miss Elite Camp in June and left with the Rebels on his mind.

"They showed me around their facilities and showed me the plans for their new (indoor) facility when I get there. They showed me a good time. I pretty much knew then that it was the place for me. I just wanted to go back home and think things over and talk it over with my mom."

Who else was Buckner considering before he committed to Ole Miss?

"Kentucky, UTEP, and Missouri were also coming after me pretty hard but Ole Miss was just the best place for me. I went over to the Missouri Elite camp last month and my coaches loved it over there and loved their facilities, but it just did not feel right for me and I left with Ole Miss still on my mind. Coach Webster from Kentucky flew down here once and has been calling and recruiting me real hard, but I did not have that relationship with them like I did with Coach (Torrey) Ward (from Ole Miss) and those guys. UTEP was recruiting me real hard too, same as Ole Miss, but the distance was just too far."

Coach Jerry Anthony, Reggie's assistant from Manassas, believes the Rebels have found themselves an impact player.

"He is probably the most versatile player I have seen come through Memphis since Penny Hardaway," added Coach Anthony. "There has not been anyone with his size since Penny who can handle and pass the ball like he does. He is a legit 6' 8" small forward that has a good chance to play in the pros one day. A lot of the recruiting sites have Reggie as the number one player in Memphis this year over Leslie McDonald and Ferrakohn Hall."

Reggie was a late bloomer which hurt his national recognition until this summer.

But Buckner burst on to the scene this summer at the Boo Williams invitation.

"I think he caught a lot of people by surprise. He led his team to the tournament title over LeBron James' team and scored 19 points ( 8 - 11 from the field), 11 rebounds, and 4 blocked shots. He was named the MVP and then we started hearing from everyone. Kentucky has been on him really hard and Missouri has always been there from day one. But I really think it came down to Ole Miss, Missouri, and UTEP."

Why Ole Miss?

"Because of Coaches Torrey Ward and Andy Kennedy. Coach Ward came to more of his games than anybody, and he loved being around Coach Kennedy. Coach Kennedy came and saw him play and loved him. Coach Owen Miller also came to see him play and helped out with his recruitment. Reggie just fell in love with that coaching staff."

What can the Rebels expect?

"They can expect a lot of defensive energy and a very explosive kid who will fly around and dunk over you. He will also have a lot of highlight passes that will make you go wow. Reggie will bring his A game and play very hard every time he touches the ball."

Jerry Myer: recruiting analyst January 16, 2009

Although underappreciated nationally, I think very highly of Buckner. He didn't really hit the travel circuit until last summer, and he was out the month of July with an injury. His lack of exposure, not lack of talent, is why he is under ranked by other scouts.

At a long 6 feet 8, the best thing about Buckner is how he impacts the game in so many ways. Just check out these averages: 19 points, 14 rebounds, 7.5 blocks, 4.5 assists and 4.0 charges per game. In fact, Buckner is just 18 blocks away from becoming the all-time blocks leader for the state of Tennessee.

The one chink in Buckner's game is a lack of shooting range. If it weren't for that one weakness, Unapproved Website would have him as a five-star instead of the No. 30-ranked prospect in the country. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Buckner improves as a shooter and ends up in the NBA. I definitely expect his hard-nosed, versatile game to make an immediate impact for Ole Miss.

Top signees by position in each conference

By Unapproved Website recruiting staff

Nov 20, 3:59 pm EST

Point guard: Ramon Galloway, South Carolina

Shooting guard: Kenny Boynton, Florida

Small forward: Reginald Buckner, Ole Miss

Power forward: Marshawn Powell, Arkansas

Center: Daniel Orton, Kentucky

Justin Young

Unapproved Website Basketball RecruitingWhat a month April was.

Just like that, the evaluation period came and went and there were plenty of storylines to discuss now that the weekend tournaments are in the books.

Unapproved Website covered and evaluated prospects at the Boo Williams Invitational, Real Deal on the Hill, Kingwood Classic, King James Shooting Stars Classic, Double Pump Spring Classic and the Las Vegas Spring Showcase.

Memphis forward Reginald Buckner showed enough potential to have a long line of high-majors after him.

That's enough...believe me there is plenty more. Not sure who made the evaluationy you posted but I have seen Buckner in person mayself and it don't measure up (not even close ) to what I have seen. If people believe what you posted they will be in for a RUDE AWAKEING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night and Last night only - his fouls came from pushing his defender to try to get the ball - he had several turnovers and mishandles - I witnessed this.

Legend witnessed it also, he just will not say it.

Did you see last nights game.

Bukner is not bad, he's a lot weaker than I imagined he would be. Nothing wrong with me for saying that, Now why would I tell you or players weekness, come by and see for your self.

Bukner was not dominating offensivly. On defense he stood flat footed and swatted layups. He denied one 3 pointer - that's it.

Don't know about you guys - but if a 7 foot player blocks balls it's not impressive it's his job.

Last night and Last night only - his fouls came from pushing his defender to try to get the ball - he had several turnovers and mishandles - I witnessed this.

I did not!!!!!!!! But, I have seen Buckner..........I could care less about last nights performance.......seriously. I have seen Buckner go up against ALOT better than what Middelton had has to offer and seen him dominate. Was last night your one and only time to see Buckner?

Buckner is a over hyped Jarvis Varnardo in my oppion except Jarvis Hussled down the court.

Bukner is not bad, he's a lot weaker than I imagined he would be. Nothing wrong with me for saying that, Now why would I tell you or players weekness, come by and see for your self.

Bukner was not dominating offensivly. On defense he stood flat footed and swatted layups. He denied one 3 pointer - that's it.

Don't know about you guys - but if a 7 foot player blocks balls it's not impressive it's his job.

Your basketball knowledge is LESS THAN IMPRESSIVE.........You probably think Crayton and Taylor are in the same league as Buckner!!!!!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I did not!!!!!!!! But, I have seen Buckner..........I could care less about last nights performance.......seriously. I have seen Buckner go up against ALOT better than what Middelton had has to offer and seen him dominate. Was last night your one and only time to see Buckner?

Of course I saw him last year.