Rebel Flag

MaryvilleRebels

Umm...to end the insanity I want to say that this post was pointless and it needs to stop. Also the black man that was killed coming from the widow's house, well it probably didn't happen just because he was black, stuff like that happened to everyone back in the day because murder wasn't that big of an offense. Everyone carried a gun and anyone jealous enough could have killed the person leaving the widow's house, black OR white. Also this topic is about Maryville not the old south!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dilweed
Posted by UPSGregg:
Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

I don't want this to become a rascist argument, and I am a minority so it does mean something to me.

But if white supremcist groups use the Rebel flag, and then Maryville fans use them just to show school pride how are we as minorities supposed to know who is using it for good, and who is using it for the wrong reasons?

-By the way, I think they should be able to use it.

Look at it this way...A flag can't hurt you. If you go to any sporting event where one of the teams is called "Rebels" you should know right there that AT LEAST 99.9999% of the people there are waving the flags for school spirit only. Even if you are in public and see it, its still just a flag, bumper sticker, etc. Its free speech and anyone that knows their history knows that its not the flag that should be looked down on, but the ingorant people that don't know their history that use it to ###### people off are the ones that should be looked down on instead. I might be at the Maryville game this week cause I have familiy there and I would really like to see minoritys waving the Rebel flag. That is...If they are Maryville fans...LOL

Actually, if you knew your history, then you would know that the confederate battle flag was adopted by many southerners and their state political leaders as a symbol of opposition to the desegregation rulings coming from the Supreme Court during the civil rights movement. I'm glad to see all the "freedom of speechers" out today and maybe you'll support me when I wave my Al-Queda flag at the Maryville/Halls game tonight. It's just a flag. It can't hurt anybody. It doesn't mean anything right?

Actually, if you knew your history, then you would know that the confederate battle flag was adopted by many southerners and their state political leaders as a symbol of opposition to the desegregation rulings coming from the Supreme Court during the civil rights movement. I'm glad to see all the "freedom of speechers" out today and maybe you'll support me when I wave my Al-Queda flag at the Maryville/Halls game tonight. It's just a flag. It can't hurt anybody. It doesn't mean anything right?

Yeah I know my history. Do you? Obviously you don't when you are shallow enough to compare the Al Queda Flag to the Rebel Flag. Just because a bunch of ignorant fools used to the Rebel flag to protest desegregation doesn't mean that the true meaning and history of the flag has been erased and replaced by their own ignorant, hateful definition of the flag. Go ahead and wave your Al Queda Flag at the game. It wonnt hurt anyone. I won't be there but I wish I could be to see what happens to you because even though its your constitutional right to wave that flag freely you might regret doing such a thing. Unfortunately for you there might be a fair amount of people there that don't care that its your right to wave it and when they see you waving a flag that represents a group that purposely and willingly had a part in killing over 3000 Americans in one day they might take matters into their own hands to have it, and you, removed. How could you even compare those two flags??? The Rebel Flag wasn't intended to be a flag of hate. The Al Queda Flag, if there is one, represents hate and there in no argument against that. You have allot to learn. More than anything you need to learn to recognize history instead of trying to make it by making points based on other peoples misguided and ignorant views on something and stating those views as history and facts. GO MARYVILLE REBELS!!!

The rebel flag didn't start out to represent hate. Now in today's culture, that's what it has become. People who are racist and do not like blacks go buy the flags to decorate their cars or houses with, to belong to a kind of secret society for lack of a better word. Everyone knows what it means, some people ignore what it means. If you ask a black man if he would walk down a street with rebel flags hanging on their porches after dark, i'm sure he would say no, only because HE knows what the flag represents and doesn't want to take the chance that the people on the street are hateful or just being patriotic to their school. How's he supposed to know?

• 3 weeks later...

to me the whole deal with the rebel flag is a bunch of hype about nothing it is meant my 99% of ppl to represent their heritage. Mind if you were a german flying a Nazi flag i may be a lil worried as many others would. But the rebel flag never symbolized slavery or torture toward blacks or other nationalties. I agree with an earlier post that in times where we're at war i do believe any american citizen only cars about the Stars and Bars. i would say red white and blue but alot of countries use the same colors so.....

Posted by OCRebel:

Who is we? And I think I spoke too son about OC not using, as it has seemed to make a comeback this year, and has been met with no opposition as far as I can tell.

We havent used the flag in years.