ELA: Shutlepass

jimbo44

This is a can of worms and mostly for officials. If its behind the line (of scrimmage), an offence can do just about anything. If a pass is deemed foward(behind the line) and is dropped, it is an incomplete pass. However, if a pass is deemed backward (behind the line) and is dropped, all heck breaks loose. (it's a fumble, it's anybody"s ball). ;)

[Edited by jimbo44 on 8-28-02 1:05A]

Posted by jimbo44:

This is a can of worms and mostly for officials. If its behind the line (of scrimmage), an offence can do just about anything. If a pass is deemed foward(behind the line) and is dropped, it is an incomplete pass. However, if a pass is deemed backward (behind the line) and is dropped, all heck breaks loose. (it's a fumble, it's anybody"s ball). ;)

[Edited by jimbo44 on 8-28-02 1:05A]

This is exactly why we use it! It is better than a screen pass if it is executed correctly and it prevents defensive ends from blowing in without having to stop to see if they are being duped by the shuttle! Some of use simply questioned if it should go down as a pass or a run (pitch) from a statistical stand point? I think we have answered that question, it is simply a pass. :D

This is exactly why we use it! It is better than a screen pass if it is executed correctly and it prevents defensive ends from blowing in without having to stop to see if they are being duped by the shuttle! Some of use simply questioned if it should go down as a pass or a run (pitch) from a statistical stand point? I think we have answered that question, it is simply a pass. ;)

I would really like to weigh in on this question, becuase Ezell uses it all the time. This is one of their most productive plays over the last couple years. Since they line up in 4 or 5 wr on almost every play it looks different but its the same play. They dont actually run the shuttle but screens are their play. The one thing i have seen that is hard for high school players to compreehend is that the line of scrimmage goes from sideline to sideline. You can realease the whole o-line and throw screens to you wr's with about 3 o-lineman blockin defensive backs down field. Then u add to that wr's with good speed and youve got alot of long plays.

Ezell hardly ever throws deep maybe just make sure they respect it but all their passes are 15 yards or under and the receivers do the rest.

Posted by TheWarrior:

Here is one for you. 9 out of 10 coaches will miss this one. I throw a forward pass behind the line of scrimmage, am I eligible to throw it a second time down field?

Well since you say coaches would miss it i will assume i am wrong to. If its a forward pass no matter behind the line of scrimmage you couldnt throw it forward again. But again that prolly wrong :/