Greenfield's Coach Glisson arrested

dynasty03

I'm going to post an article that i copied and pasted straight from the page of www.usmessenger.com concerning Greenfield High School coach John Glisson.

Glisson pleads guilty

to DWI, drug charges

Greenfield High School boys' basketball head coach and assistant principal John Glisson was fined $500 and court costs on a DWI charge and granted pretrial diversion of six months on a drug possession charge after pleading guilty to both in Obion County General Sessions Court on Thursday.

Glisson, a former boys' basketball coach at Hillcrest Junior High in Troy, was arrested after being involved in an automobile accident on U.S. Highway 51 in Troy, in front of WynRidge Greens Golf Course.

Officers on the scene of the accident, which had no injuries, reported that Glisson "performed insufficiently" on two voluntary field sobriety tests and also discovered his driver's license to be suspended and found a bottle of pills they determined to be a Schedule III controlled substance.

~ I have no clue what actions Greenfield and/or Weakley county will take, however, I've heard that he is not going to receive any punishment for this incident. Is this true? I think that it will be a crying shame for him to even be allowed back on the sidelines much less back on without any action taken. Please let me know your opinions or if you have any info please post

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest observer1216

Teachers are in a fish bowl. They aren't supposed to do any wrong, but they are human. If he were a CPA, would he be suspended or fired from his job? Probably not. But as a teacher/coach he is a leader and example to the youth that he is in contact with.

Here are the facts:

-Coach Glisson was found to have PRESCRIPTION pain medicine, though they were not in a labeled bottle.

-There was no intent to exchange or re-sell them.

-They were found behind the seat? You run off the road & have an accident & see where everything ends up.

-He realizes that he should not have taken them & attempted to drive.

-There was absolutely NO ALCOHOL involved.

-Charges were reduced to Driving While Impaired.

Guest caligula
Posted by observer1216:

Teachers are in a fish bowl. They aren't supposed to do any wrong, but they are human. If he were a CPA, would he be suspended or fired from his job? Probably not. But as a teacher/coach he is a leader and example to the youth that he is in contact with.

You dont have to be arrested to be human.

uofm- I am not at all going to say that the "facts" that you stated are inaccurate. However, if all this was found after he was arrested, then why did he plead guilty. If it was all a misunderstanding then why plead guilty? I don't understand. And why are his liscense suspended anyways? There is no way around the fact that he is wrong and i'm wondering what his punishment will be if there is going to be one

Posted by dynasty03:

uofm- I am not at all going to say that the "facts" that you stated are inaccurate. However, if all this was found after he was arrested, then why did he plead guilty. If it was all a misunderstanding then why plead guilty? I don't understand. And why are his liscense suspended anyways? There is no way around the fact that he is wrong and i'm wondering what his punishment will be if there is going to be one

He did not plead guilty, he pleaded no contest to driving while impaired and the other charge was put on a pretrial deversion. The suspended liscense was from forgetting to pay a speeding ticket in Shelby County, once that was paid, the liscense was renewed.

I am not a fan of Greenfield or Glisson, but I don't think the schools should take any further action against him. He was punished in court for his infraction, which was not injurious to any others. The role model argument is arbitrary and basically bunk. I mean it would be different if he was impaired, while he was actually working. These kids are also at an age where either their going to partake in alcohol or drugs or their not going to partake. A teachers DWI charge will not play into their decision making process in that regard.

I can't believe you just said what you did. He got caught driving while impaired. How many times do you think he went to school using those pills? If he was driving, then he was going somewhere, maybe to school. Remember those were not his pills to take. That is equal to smoking pot. It is illegal to possess drugs that are not prescribed to you.

To UOFM1....What difference does it make if it was alcohol or pills? They have the same effect. Alcohol is a drug also. Would you want your kid to be taught by someone who is taking pills that is not prescribed to him, not to mention being coached by him? As teachers and coaches, we are held to a higher standard than ordinary workers because of what we have to do, teach kids. I wouldn't want anyone to lose their jobs, but we all have decisions we make that will affect us. Chess is the perfect example, each move will either be a good or bad move and will affect the King's position. If this is his first time being caught, he should have to go through some type of drug counseling. And by the HCITY...pleading no contest is the same as pleading guilty, just to a reduce sentence. :D

< For those who don't know me, I am Adam Vaughan from Greenfield. I play and I'm the captian for the basketball team. Coach Glisson was not on his way to school. He had finished up a individual camp earlier that day. which was July 19. He had an absece(spellcheck) tooth removed earlier in the week and was instructed by the dentist not to get hot or he would have some pain. For the pain (this is for you hcity) he had the pills PRESCRIBED to him. They were his pills and he had to intent to sell or distribute them in any way form or fashion. Coach understands what he did was wrong and he iis going to serve a 20 school day suspension starting monday. But the whole point of this is for you to get the facts straight before you make make a post like that.