SP Basketball

OLD PIRATE

I have watched the Pirates on a few different occasions and my assessment is this: (1) While they have some talented players (Fennell, Terrell Robinson, Jones) they are not a talented team. There is a big difference in the two and you can't depend on those three guys to win every game for you. (2) They don't seem to push themselves to excel in basketball in any aspect of the game (offense, defense, or mentally). The overall basketball IQ of the team seems to be very poor. (3) Discipline....If you go over something in practice you should be able to translate it and use it in a game, but there were several occasions in the games I watched that the coach would be telling them what to do and they would purposely do the opposite. The only way to get everyone on the same page is to discipline those who don't want to play as a team. If that causes some to quit or whatever then so be it. Thats the only way you will get dedicated team basketball players and instead of selfish me first players. You have to buy in to the system that is being taught and trust in your coach.

Pardon me for interjecting my opinions on a thread about a team I know little about but isn't this the reason you HIRE a coach to begin with? To instill these very ideas and principles within his/her team? I know it is tough to do and sometimes impossible. I have always believed that the best coaching jobs are done by coaches who make their players believe in them to the point that they actually blame THEMSELVES for poor performance. Man that is real coaching. Maybe if this coach here could somehow get a signature win then his players would "buy in" to his system. It doesn't seem to be happening now according to what I see going on here.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good observations from folks not wearing rose colored glasses..................

Old Pirate says SP is a football school 1st and every other sport takes a back seat. If SP is ever to be consistantly competitive then players will need to participate in off season play to further develop their BB skills. The best area programs do not have hugely successful football programs and their kids focus more on other sports basketball and baseball. The situation is clear to this ole skillet scared hat @@@@ head. Truthfully.............SP kids mostly want to play football. Looking at the top players (M. Jones,J. Fennell, Terrell Robinson, Ty Robinson,Chubb,Mitchell, R. Hale) all were starters or 1st backups on the football team. SP's off season football program is rather intense and very time consuming. So........................the question is..................what can be done to improve the non-football programs.

1.OP says a larger student/player pool would be nice and perhaps that will happen over time.

2.Develop off season leagues, touneys and travel ball to help sharpen skills and conditioning.

3.SP has to become more active with the develop of the younger players prior to their varsity years.

4.The development of a community YMCA or equivalent type structure,,say at the old tennis-basketball court area?

OP says SP "community" has been the area leader, but has been out worked in the last several years in direction and focus for the non football programs.

OP SAYS..."IF YOU ARE NOT THE LEAD DOG, THE SMELL AND SCENARY NEVER CHANGES"

WHATS UP WITH THIS @@@@ IN OP's post. For you folks it is NO bad word but the 4 letter equvilaent of RAC.

Dad burnit, them whiny babies done went and made these mods questionable and skeerd or something................

Is this really happening? Is this the same fans and posters that were on here during SP's 2nd run on the gold ball only to come up short to the hands of a wide out. someone refresh my memory on that game or the games before that where sp football team seemed to show a little lack luster play. Did we see any bashing of the kids or coaching, other than one mad father stating how vic didnt have a clue what he was doing. I dont recall. If i do recall from earlier post about the sp community and how they came together to build the multimillion dollar gym without anyone elses help and how community leaders banded together and put all the extras in there and how it is the nicest thing in marion county and blah blah blah blah blah blah!!!! I really believe these opinion boards are in some form ruining sports in tennessee. players say they dont look at them but come on, they are kids they love these things. to tell the truth as always grownups thru out the county and the state should just shut their mouth if they dont have any thing positive to say. but do they. NO. we hide behind a screen name and just bad mouth anyone we care to. OP sounds like a worn out jock strap--- You keep it until it does you no good! Just like sp football and basketball.

as long as they are winning or doing ok he is ok but the minute you get a rip in that strap he is ready to throw you to the garbage. It would do every kid on here some good if OP's wife would fire that head up real good with that skillet once in a while and maybe he will realize that these are just kids and they are led by just coaches and after high school none of this will matter. These same kids will go on and do something with their lives (maybe if they get the chance) but basketball and football will have nothing to do with it for the most part. So go support your local teams and cheer em on or just stay home and shut up!

Pardon me for interjecting my opinions on a thread about a team I know little about but isn't this the reason you HIRE a coach to begin with? To instill these very ideas and principles within his/her team? I know it is tough to do and sometimes impossible. I have always believed that the best coaching jobs are done by coaches who make their players believe in them to the point that they actually blame THEMSELVES for poor performance. Man that is real coaching. Maybe if this coach here could somehow get a signature win then his players would "buy in" to his system. It doesn't seem to be happening now according to what I see going on here.

You are right, it is the coaches job to instill these ideas and principles. But when a kid tries out for basketball is he not making a commitment to the sport, coach, and representation of the school? He, the student athlete, is accountable for his contribution on the court and off. And most of these kids aren't basketball players, they are football players playing basketball. Simply put, South Pittsburg is a football school and that is a problem for the basketball team. You have kids who want to play and then you have kids who want something to do in their spare time so they play basketbal.

Good observations from folks not wearing rose colored glasses..................

Old Pirate says SP is a football school 1st and every other sport takes a back seat. If SP is ever to be consistantly competitive then players will need to participate in off season play to further develop their BB skills. The best area programs do not have hugely successful football programs and their kids focus more on other sports basketball and baseball. The situation is clear to this ole skillet scared hat @@@@ head. Truthfully.............SP kids mostly want to play football. Looking at the top players (M. Jones,J. Fennell, Terrell Robinson, Ty Robinson,Chubb,Mitchell, R. Hale) all were starters or 1st backups on the football team. SP's off season football program is rather intense and very time consuming. So........................the question is..................what can be done to improve the non-football programs.

1.OP says a larger student/player pool would be nice and perhaps that will happen over time.

2.Develop off season leagues, touneys and travel ball to help sharpen skills and conditioning.

3.SP has to become more active with the develop of the younger players prior to their varsity years.

4.The development of a community YMCA or equivalent type structure,,say at the old tennis-basketball court area?

OP says SP "community" has been the area leader, but has been out worked in the last several years in direction and focus for the non football programs.

OP SAYS..."IF YOU ARE NOT THE LEAD DOG, THE SMELL AND SCENARY NEVER CHANGES"

WHATS UP WITH THIS @@@@ IN OP's post. For you folks it is NO bad word but the 4 letter equvilaent of RAC.

Dad burnit, them whiny babies done went and made these mods questionable and skeerd or something................

I am going to stick my nose in one more time. The fact that SP is a football school should not in any way determine the direction of the basketball program. Why can't both be good? Why can't you use these great athletes to your benefit if you are the basketball, baseball or golf coach? There are alot of programs that have done that . Look at Lake Co in west TN. They use their athletes to their advantage. Maybe the problem is not with the athletes. Maybe it is with the direction. My point is motivate your athletes to your advantage because in a small school there is not a large enough pool to go around.

I am going to stick my nose in one more time. The fact that SP is a football school should not in any way determine the direction of the basketball program. Why can't both be good? Why can't you use these great athletes to your benefit if you are the basketball, baseball or golf coach? There are alot of programs that have done that . Look at Lake Co in west TN. They use their athletes to their advantage. Maybe the problem is not with the athletes. Maybe it is with the direction. My point is motivate your athletes to your advantage because in a small school there is not a large enough pool to go around.

Maybe topper has an idea why cody henegar left spitt.

Is this really happening? Is this the same fans and posters that were on here during SP's 2nd run on the gold ball only to come up short to the hands of a wide out.  someone refresh my memory on that game or the games before that where sp football team seemed to show a little lack luster play. Did we see any bashing of the kids or coaching, other than one mad father stating how vic didnt have a clue what he was doing. I dont recall. If i do recall from earlier post about the sp community and how they came together to build the multimillion dollar gym without anyone elses help and how community leaders banded together and put all the extras in there and how it is the nicest thing in marion county and blah blah blah blah blah blah!!!!   I really believe these opinion boards are in some form ruining sports in tennessee. players say they dont look at them but come on, they are kids they love these things. to tell the truth as always grownups thru out the county and the state should just shut their mouth if they dont have any thing positive to say. but do they. NO.   we hide behind a screen name and just bad mouth anyone we care to.    OP  sounds like a worn out jock strap--- You keep it until it does you no good! Just like sp football and basketball.as long as they are winning or doing ok he is ok but the minute you get a rip in that strap he is ready to throw you to the garbage. It would do every kid on here some good if OP's wife would fire that head up real good with that skillet once  in a while and maybe he will realize that these are just kids and they are led by just coaches and after high school none of this will matter. These same kids will go on and do something with their lives (maybe if they get the chance) but basketball and football will have nothing to do with it for the most part. So go support your local teams and cheer em on or just stay home and shut up!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Calm down BeatNick, Old Pirate says you need to address the post where OP trashed the Pirate players or coaches. OP will be more than happy to hear your craw dadding remarks when and if reading comprehension occurs. OP does see the need for off season play/work to help improve skills needed in nonfootball programs. Folks complain about the Chatt teams that don't field football programs and have consistant competitive basketball, baseball programs. Simple answer is they work at them in the off season with camps, AAU, tourneys, travel teams and the like. OP says wash them eyes and remove those blinders. You either keep up with the competion or else you fall behind, simple answer to a not so simple problem. Facts: 1. OP is a PIRATE 24-7,365 days a year and has been a Pirate supporter quite possibly long before you were a dribble from dear old dad. . 2. OP's posts have primarily involved the need of youthful development in non-football programs and why the SP basketball, softball and baseball struggle with being competitve consistantly. 3. Don't think SP, Fla, UNC, Tenn Vols or any other program have coaches who don't address weaknesses. Never be satified and always work to improve while attempting to reach that unreachable perfection. 

Jock strap......still got old faithful from 1963 and it still works fine. Actually as you get older they have to work even harder to support the boys now that they have grown larger and produce an extra load.

The fact players hear positive things is great and constructive critisism/observations are/have and always be part of sports & life. You shouldn't tell anyone they played good when infact they didn't or tell them their great when they're not. These only give a false reading of reality. OP says there is an Old saying....................Uncle Lester told OP, "Don't pess on me and tell me it's raining" You might take note and perhaps learn to read and comprehend who and what someone says or posts before you attempt to put the skillet lady on OP. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Wasn't the post at Whitwell down at South Pittsburg for a short time too? He and Hennegar would have been hard to deal with together.

Old Pirate says coach Vic's nephew transferred after the 8th grade but transferred back to Whitwell a few weeks into his freshman year reportedly due to transportation issues. OP says they would have been a force for sure "IF" things had worked out.