Karns Football

kbeavr

I am not judging C. Newberry without knowing him. I have known him or of him for over 20 years, probably longer than sbtigerfan has been alive. As I said, it doesn't take much to impress 15-18 year kids. Once again, balleret, beware and keep an eye on him and his relationship with your son.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Coach Newberry and I am not hiding behind a screen name of any kind. 021 putt and by the way I wish I could play a round of golf with 21 putts, I would score alot better. I would like to talk with you and maybe iron out any differences you think we have had if you have known me for 20 years. My cell phone is 423-539-3740 and would love for you to call and I will even buy dinner and maybe talk about old times. I have a job to do and that is coach football to the best of my ability. I have always tried to do that. If you want to get personal, hey, lets do that in person. balleret, I do wish you could be a little more positive about Karns football. I assure you that if you have been at practice, you have seen positive attitudes and coaches working their butts off. We all want to win and believe me in this 6A, it aint easy. Talk to any player that ever played for me and I hope you find a better person and someone who enjoyed the experience. My priorities have changed over the years, my outlook on life changed April 1, 2009 when my mom passed away but one thing that has not changed is that I love the kids that play for me and will do whatever I can to help them. To me, that is all that matters now. I turn 50 in a couple of weeks and have dedicated most of my life to helping young people. Hate me, love me or somewhere inbetween, you or no one else can take that away. balleret, you can call me too and maybe we can all eat out at the same time. Dont be afraid to voice your opinion as a parent or fan or observer. I promise if you have an idea that can help us win a few games, we will take it.

Well I can apperciate your stance Mr. Newberry, seems to me o21putt is the one that has put into question your past and what your about I just replied with what I have seen wth my own eyes and my son has experinced playig under you and the coaching of the past two years. I do attend practice from time to time and when my friends son finishes I will be glad to meet with you. As far as me being positive, I could not wish more than anyone does that Karns would be successful, you have been here a couple of years I have spent almost 20 years at Karns and supported many of the teams, what I see is much of the same things going on with this young group has I did with my son and much of the last two classes so you may want to talk to o21putt about how great you are and all the great things you do for kids because I don't see and I have experinced first hand.

Dramarama rides again in Karns. You just can't ever tell who might show up on CoachT these days. But let's get back to football again. My sources tell me that the Karns defense totally self-destructed against Webb last Friday night. In addition to some nifty running Webb apparently scored on 3-4 long touchdowns on pass plays in just a few minutes of play. Does Karns have a secondary this year or are those cardboard figures standing out there? Coach N, what the heck are you going to do to cure these ills before the season opener with Heritage? ^_^

I am just an observer of this thread, as I have attended only one Karns football game in my entire life, so you can take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

There seems to be quite a bit of negativity, name calling, and infighting going on in this thread, and I can't see how that kind of activity is a positive thing.

Still, there is one poster I have pretty much completely agreed with except for the end of his last post. That poster is BigTuna. If I were a parent of one of the "cardboard figures" in the secondary, I might be a little perturbed by that characterization. Even the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers' secondary gets burned every once in awhile.

Well Mr. Gardiner from your picture it seems that you'd be more comfortable drinking a cup of tea and watching cricket than slugging down a bud light and watching some football. But I also got feedback from the Webb scrimmage and I think it was that bad. Sure the Steeler secondary let Larry Fitzgerald loose that one time near the end of the Super Bowl but in the Karns/Webb scrimmage I think we're talking about 3 or 4 long scores within a 10 minutes time span. Maybe since Coach Newberry is now posting he could give us more insight into exactly what happened. But the reason everyone's scrimmaging before the season is to find out where they need more work before the real deal starts. Hopefully the Beavers will raise the bar this evening at the big Jamboree. But regardless of how they've played so far, I look for Karns to put it to the Mountaineers on the 21st. Go Beavers!!!

just signed up to voice my say so. I played foootball at Karns for the past four years so maybe my input willhold something. some of the post on here have been negative bout our team, its not the players you get tired as a player being told that you suck, your the worst players by the coaches and the coaches always talking bout the other schools they coached and how great they were. Dont know bout what these coaches done at other schools but most all the things posted on here are true from my playing time there. We had 30 something seniors last year and come close in allot of games but if you would have been on teh sidelines people would understand why we could not win the close one, hope the sophmores can get it done cause we heard allot of how great they where last year, seems to be a slow start in te scrimmages I have seen.

Well Mr. Gardiner from your picture it seems that you'd be more comfortable drinking a cup of tea and watching cricket than slugging down a bud light and watching some football. But I also got feedback from the Webb scrimmage and I think it was that bad. Sure the Steeler secondary let Larry Fitzgerald loose that one time near the end of the Super Bowl but in the Karns/Webb scrimmage I think we're talking about 3 or 4 long scores within a 10 minutes time span. Maybe since Coach Newberry is now posting he could give us more insight into exactly what happened. But the reason everyone's scrimmaging before the season is to find out where they need more work before the real deal starts. Hopefully the Beavers will raise the bar this evening at the big Jamboree. But regardless of how they've played so far, I look for Karns to put it to the Mountaineers on the 21st. Go Beavers!!!

Sticks and stones may break my bones, etc... I'll let you in on a little secret. That picture is of someone else. Looking at my "real" picture has been known to cause women to faint and grown men to run away screaming. In real life I can slam down a six pack and belch with the best of them.

But the real reason I posted is to give a quick preview of Heritage. I got a look at them tonight in the Blount County Jamboree against Maryville. The Mountaineers lined up in a spread offense most of the night and certainly don't look afraid to air it out. Despite the fact they lost to Maryville, the players on the field and on the sideline looked much more enthusiastic than in the recent past. Karns had better be ready to defend the whole field. This probably won't be the usual 3 yards and a cloud of dust Heritage team. What remains to be seen is how well the players have mastered the new offense this early in the season.

Heritage doesn't have the numbers of Maryville, Alcoa, and William Blount - about 55 players are listed on the roster. However, unless Karns is a lot better than I think, I doubt they can run Heritage off the field. You have to remember that Heritage has been playing in a tougher 5-A region (Ooltewah, Oak Ridge, Farragut, William Blount, McMinn County, Soddy-Daisy, etc.) over the past few years than has Karns (Dobyns-Bennett, Science Hill, Bearden, Jefferson County, Sevier County, Campbell County, etc.). Plus, Heritage has played Maryville every year in a non-region game, so they are accustomed to playing tough competition. I see the game as a tossup.

Tally ho Mr. Gardiner. What I'd like to know is who went to the Knox County Jamboree this evening? My friend from up North who came to witness the event said that Karns gave up enough long plays to allow Fulton to score twice in less than 10 minutes. He asked me what defense Karns ran. When I told him I thought I'd heard that Karns was trying a 3-5 this year he replied:

"That's what I thought. That's a very hard defense to run successfully at the high school level. There are just too many reads in that type of defense for most kids with limited experience."

I like to watch football but I'm not that much of a student of the game. I do know that for the 2nd week in a row the Karns defense has given up a lot of ground in a short period of time. Does anyone have a knowledgeable opinion to share on this subject? Any other successful local teams running this defense? Are you still out there somewhere Coach Newberry?

I could be wrong, but I heard that Catholic was putting in several forms of the 3-5-5. I dont believe they ran them tonight though. Anyways-Karns. The athletic gap between Fulton and Karns was pretty astounding. I mean it's understandable. Fulton is consistently a top-tier athletic program. The domino effect was displayed tonight several times= Penetration through the offensive line --> Boden scrambles like a chicken with his head cut off from the speedy defense --> Boden is forced to make decisions quickly (some good some bad) --> interceptions, loss of yards, or flat-out dropped balls a majority of the time.

Sitting in the stands I heard a lot of the Karns players yelling at the coaches and the kids, asking what the coaches are thinking and so on. Karns football will never be good with all the second-guessing, questioning, lack of trust, and "dramarama" as big tuna put it. A successful program needs a plan that everyone is in on. I would like to see Karns do well about as much as anyone- not that I have ties to karns, but I've kept up and cheer for the underdog. I'm not trying to be insulting. just truthful from my perspective on the outside.

Karns came out an stopped Fulton on thier first drive, thought maybe they would look better when they got the ball. The delay pentallty reminded me of last years Carter game we were in overtime coming out of a timeout and we got one. the young players looked young friday night but it is just a scrimmage for themost part this friday will be diifferent its for real now.