Columbia Central

66in74

The only way a weaker team could get in is if BOTH 6A teams are shut out of the first and second positions in the district. In other words, if FCHS and LCHS finished 4th and 5th respectfully (or lower), the winner of the head to head matchup between the two teams would go and the loser would have to earn the right as a wild card.

Looking at this past years results I would doubt this scenario would happen because LC should be the favorite to finish 1st in District Play with several others in the hunt for the other auto bid to the playoffs. After that, it will be up to the total schedule and a wildcard selection IMHO.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way a weaker team could get in is if BOTH 6A teams are shut out of the first and second positions in the district. In other words, if FCHS and LCHS finished 4th and 5th respectfully (or lower), the winner of the head to head matchup between the two teams would go and the loser would have to earn the right as a wild card.

Looking at this past years results I would doubt this scenario would happen because LC should be the favorite to finish 1st in District Play with several others in the hunt for the other auto bid to the playoffs. After that, it will be up to the total schedule and a wildcard selection IMHO.

Are you implying that if two 5A teams finish 1 and 2, then they are weak?

I still think if that happens, then 1 of the 2 6A teams would have to get in on a wildcard since there are only two in the District.

Are you implying that if two 5A teams finish 1 and 2, then they are weak?

I still think if that happens, then 1 of the 2 6A teams would have to get in on a wildcard since there are only two in the District.

I do think it is possible for just that to happen and if it does, then yes, one of the two 6A teams would go. I think Tullahoma and Columbia Central should be right up there near the top.

I do think it is possible for just that to happen and if it does, then yes, one of the two 6A teams would go. I think Tullahoma and Columbia Central should be right up there near the top.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So if two 5A teams finish 1 and 2, then those 5A teams are weak? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Then the 6A teams would be just down right pitiful. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I've got an email into Carter to clarify.

I still don't think one of the 6A teams get an automatic birth, unless they finish 1 or 2.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So if two 5A teams finish 1 and 2, then those 5A teams are weak? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Then the 6A teams would be just down right pitiful. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I've got an email into Carter to clarify.

I still don't think one of the 6A teams get an automatic birth, unless they finish 1 or 2.

Where do you get this idea of one being weak? I never implied that in any way. What I was suggesting was that LC will probably finish either 1st or 2nd most seasons and since there are so many more 5A teams, it is possible that IF LC has a down season, two 5A teams could finish 1st and 2nd.

The phrase "weaker team" was in reference to the scenario where a 1-9 team got into the playoffs (winner of LC and FC) if two 5A teams finished 1st and 2nd.

Where do you get this idea of one being weak? I never implied that in any way. What I was suggesting was that LC will probably finish either 1st or 2nd most seasons and since there are so many more 5A teams, it is possible that IF LC has a down season, two 5A teams could finish 1st and 2nd.

The phrase "weaker team" was in reference to the scenario where a 1-9 team got into the playoffs (winner of LC and FC) if two 5A teams finished 1st and 2nd.

The only way a weaker team could get in is if BOTH 6A teams are shut out of the first and second positions in the district.

By the statement you made above, i thought you meant if both 6A teams are out of 1 and 2, (which would put two 5A teams in) then the 5A teams would be weak.

I still think in order for one of the 6A teams to get an auto birth they would have to finish 1 or 2, otherwise get in on a wildcard.

The only way a weaker team could get in is if BOTH 6A teams are shut out of the first and second positions in the district.

By the statement you made above, i thought you meant if both 6A teams are out of 1 and 2, (which would put two 5A teams in) then the 5A teams would be weak.

I still think in order for one of the 6A teams to get an auto birth they would have to finish 1 or 2, otherwise get in on a wildcard.

No, I checked with the TSSAA. If two 5A teams finish 1st and 2nd, then the winner of the two 6A teams will get in. They said the system is not perfect but that is how it works until they can find a better way to make the balance between large and small schools in district play.

Guest catsvoice

That was my understanding all along. The top 6A team gets in no matter what. At the same time I believe its true for the 5A teams also. The top two 5A teams get in, even if they finish 3rd and 4th in the district (behind LC and FC).

This all is going to be a much bigger deal in some districts but I don't think it will be in ours. As someone who has seen Tullahoma, Lawrence Co., Shelbyville, and Franklin Co. play every single year, and seen Columbia and Lincoln Co. play numerous times over the past few years, I believe this district is going to be real competitive and pretty balanced.

History certainly says that Lincoln Co. begins the new District 8-AAA as the favorite, but I believe Columbia has to be right near the top also. As has been pointed out on this thread before, the Lions played in a really tough region and competed well. They have some outstanding athletes and Coach Belew has proven his coaching ability.

Lawrence Co. and Tullahoma went right down to the wire in the last two regular season finales, with Tullahoma edging it out on both occassions. Both Franklin Co. and Shelbyville have been a little down recently, but both have made the playoffs and both seem to be on their way back up. I am so ready for August!!

Guest catsvoice

If the discussion is going to turn to the future then I have to point out that both Tullahoma's freshman team and its middle school team went undefeated on the field last year, with each winning their conference titles. The future is bright in T-town!

No, I checked with the TSSAA. If two 5A teams finish 1st and 2nd, then the winner of the two 6A teams will get in. They said the system is not perfect but that is how it works until they can find a better way to make the balance between large and small schools in district play.

Well that means a 1-9 team could get in the playoffs, and that is absolutely ridiculous. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

If the discussion is going to turn to the future then I have to point out that both Tullahoma's freshman team and its middle school team went undefeated on the field last year, with each winning their conference titles. The future is bright in T-town!

Pretty sure Tullahoma's Freshman team lost a regular season game last fall, to a team that did go undefeated in the regular season.