should there be shot clocks

jcbiggestfan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see absolutely no advantage to adding a shot clock to high school basketball and see no need for it. The game is fine as it is. If you want to play fast; press, trap, run, and jack up a shot every ten seconds. Most of the good athletic teams are doing that anyway and often for too long. If somebody gets a lead and holds the ball; match-up man-to-man and use the five and ten second clocks that are already part of the game. Forcing inferior unathletic teams to play faster than they can will just make for some ugly basketball. And I am sorry, but some teams will not adapt, they will be more likely to drop the sport. Many of our single A and double A programs just do not produce high level athletes capable of playing a college or NBA paced game. Strategy and tempo control are often the only way they can even compete and I have actually known coaches who played to get beat 50-30 instead of 90-40, just to keep from humiliating their players. Remember these are high school kids, not scholarship athletes or paid professionals.

The NBA and college games added the shot clocks to get more dunks and thirty foot three pointers. Fans pay big ticket prices and wanted more entertainment. It is all about money. The team concept has been lost and most games are simply one on one games by the best players. That is fine when all the schools have an opportunity to recruit players and when NBA teams can draft the best athletes in the world to play for them. Many of our high school girl's programs have produced few if any scholarship players. Yet, many of them can offset athletic advantage with teamwork and skill. I say leave the shot clocks for the NBA, college, and AAU and just let the high school kids keep playing the great game they are playing now. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!"

Perfect!

I vote yes. And heres my reason. You have a shot clock in AAU, & college, why not keep the game universal!

Not everyone is going to play AAU and college. All you will be doing is hurting the ones that won't.

Coachh17 had it right when he said that small schools don't produce the athletes that can play the game at that pace. I would rather watch Randy Frazier at Gleason run "Utah" and win 38-31 than see a bunch of wild shots to beat the buzzer and shot clock violations. Some people call it boring, but I think it is a beautiful thing to watch. Teamwork, precision passing, ball handling, and good coaching or do you want to see clear outs and one on one all the time?

And if you want to make it universal, are you going to put a shot clock in middle school ball so our 8th graders are ready for high school ball?

I see absolutely no advantage to adding a shot clock to high school basketball and see no need for it. The game is fine as it is. If you want to play fast; press, trap, run, and jack up a shot every ten seconds. Most of the good athletic teams are doing that anyway and often for too long. If somebody gets a lead and holds the ball; match-up man-to-man and use the five and ten second clocks that are already part of the game. Forcing inferior unathletic teams to play faster than they can will just make for some ugly basketball. And I am sorry, but some teams will not adapt, they will be more likely to drop the sport. Many of our single A and double A programs just do not produce high level athletes capable of playing a college or NBA paced game. Strategy and tempo control are often the only way they can even compete and I have actually known coaches who played to get beat 50-30 instead of 90-40, just to keep from humiliating their players. Remember these are high school kids, not scholarship athletes or paid professionals.

The NBA and college games added the shot clocks to get more dunks and thirty foot three pointers. Fans pay big ticket prices and wanted more entertainment. It is all about money. The team concept has been lost and most games are simply one on one games by the best players. That is fine when all the schools have an opportunity to recruit players and when NBA teams can draft the best athletes in the world to play for them. Many of our high school girl's programs have produced few if any scholarship players. Yet, many of them can offset athletic advantage with teamwork and skill. I say leave the shot clocks for the NBA, college, and AAU and just let the high school kids keep playing the great game they are playing now. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!"

Good Post

Not everyone is going to play AAU and college. All you will be doing is hurting the ones that won't.

Coachh17 had it right when he said that small schools don't produce the athletes that can play the game at that pace. I would rather watch Randy Frazier at Gleason run "Utah" and win 38-31 than see a bunch of wild shots to beat the buzzer and shot clock violations. Some people call it boring, but I think it is a beautiful thing to watch. Teamwork, precision passing, ball handling, and good coaching or do you want to see clear outs and one on one all the time?

And if you want to make it universal, are you going to put a shot clock in middle school ball so our 8th graders are ready for high school ball?

Good post

flatcreekjim, salty, coach17, it sounds like sour grapes to me and how sad in the one post that you would consider the time and money spent being involved with your kids a waste. AAU is like government? What?! how do you get to these comparisons? AAU is basketball just like High School is basketball, it's just a fact that AAU is more in line with college play and better prepares the kids for the next level, if they choose to go, which is what HS should be doing. If the TSSAA would allow it, you should have some summer camps and employ the shotclock or better yet have a neutral person take your team to tournament that uses shot clocks and see the difference. Last and certainly not least, the kids that play AAU are generally (and there are a very few exceptions) the ones that excell in high school. At least I can say that about the IMAC.

so trottercoach, if you would take time to "read" my post there is nothing about a waste of time with my child and you will not insinuate such and get away with it without a response. You seem like a descent chap so since you commented let me spell it out for you..... when AAU got popular it got political. How is it like the government? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the rules passed by the TSSAA to help AAU out. Don't worry we're only here to "help" you. You know the dead periods, not as much summer practice or camps, not as many games in a year. I'm waiting for a coach to have a daughter play AAU and go in to see her play a game and get in trouble because he has other HS players on the court, even if they are on the other team. That outta make a nice lawsuit.

You see we have 2 seasons now. The high school season and then the AAU. Isn't it funny that rules like the number of players allowed on AAU teams from one high school and the periods in which you are allowed to practice just happen to coincide with AAU nationals and regional tournaments. Do you realize that if a HS coach has a kid at a small K-12 school that is coming out of 8th grade that needs some post work just to learn "HOW" to play post that he is not ALLOWED to coach him other than 2 camps in the summer and then not until October? High school basketball is turning into AAU just give it time. Of course high schools have to take what they have in their school they can't recruit from the best in the region. Exept of course for private schools. We played AAU with 2 girls from 3rd grade through 9th and one until she graduated high school. We went to the nationals actually placed in the top 15 I think it was. That was a great experience, I just lamented in agreement with what ole salty said. It changes the dynamic. How many AAU teams have you seen that have the same roster from the regions to state and nationals if they qual? Not many..... because somewhere in the development of this sport things changed. It's no longer a teaching character building game. Its to win, thanks Bobby Knight. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> . The coach is not happy if you don't win, the parents are not happy if you don't win. Somewhere along the way things changed to a "win at any cost" mentality not just in basketball, but in everything we now do... God help us all.....

I do truly apoligize for the length of this post....... my dander got up a bit. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Good Post

Good post

Me thinks you underestimate the abilities of the girls at a and aa levels - that has nothing to do with it - and there are not that many wild shots taken - I see a bunch of wild shots taken now with no timeclock - you folks that are "afraid" of the shot clock - I am assuming have not watched games played with a shot clock - It rewards good defense and moves the game along. And the shot clock does not come into play that much - in my opinion. Believe it or not - there are bad teams in AAU - and it is not because of the shot clock!

so trottercoach, if you would take time to "read" my post there is nothing about a waste of time with my child and you will not insinuate such and get away with it without a response. You seem like a descent chap so since you commented let me spell it out for you..... when AAU got popular it got political. How is it like the government? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the rules passed by the TSSAA to help AAU out. Don't worry we're only here to "help" you. You know the dead periods, not as much summer practice or camps, not as many games in a year. I'm waiting for a coach to have a daughter play AAU and go in to see her play a game and get in trouble because he has other HS players on the court, even if they are on the other team. That outta make a nice lawsuit.

You see we have 2 seasons now. The high school season and then the AAU. Isn't it funny that rules like the number of players allowed on AAU teams from one high school and the periods in which you are allowed to practice just happen to coincide with AAU nationals and regional tournaments. Do you realize that if a HS coach has a kid at a small K-12 school that is coming out of 8th grade that needs some post work just to learn "HOW" to play post that he is not ALLOWED to coach him other than 2 camps in the summer and then not until October? High school basketball is turning into AAU just give it time. Of course high schools have to take what they have in their school they can't recruit from the best in the region. Exept of course for private schools. We played AAU with 2 girls from 3rd grade through 9th and one until she graduated high school. We went to the nationals actually placed in the top 15 I think it was. That was a great experience, I just lamented in agreement with what ole salty said. It changes the dynamic. How many AAU teams have you seen that have the same roster from the regions to state and nationals if they qual? Not many..... because somewhere in the development of this sport things changed. It's no longer a teaching character building game. Its to win, thanks Bobby Knight. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> . The coach is not happy if you don't win, the parents are not happy if you don't win. Somewhere along the way things changed to a "win at any cost" mentality not just in basketball, but in everything we now do... God help us all.....

I do truly apoligize for the length of this post....... my dander got up a bit. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

your dander got up thats good because you obviously care and arent meerly arguing. The tssaa rule unless it changed for this year only affected fall ball. I think tssaa isnt here to help any sport and is the one that is more like government. I have always encouraged and supported and worked around the school schedule. I also have never pulled in ringers to go to nationals, qualified 3 times , went didnt do well but had fun. as 11s we won the yboa nationals had fun there too. you are correct that alot of aau clubs get stars in their eyes but we have tried to keep it real and loyal to the basics; fundamentals, play with what you have, respect and enjoy the game. too many times and i have posted in the past years this same comment, we separate aau and school ball into a conflict with each other much like schools do with volleyball,softball,basketball rather than seeing the benifit of one helping the other.

to summerize my thoughts and not meaning to have gotten off the thread subject; i think that using a shot clock for high school has nothing to do with whether or not it is used in aau. it does however have to do with preparing to play at the next level. for those that have talked about teams or kids that would have a hard time competing i say improve your feeder programs or in some cases develope a feeder program.