should there be shot clocks

jcbiggestfan

This can be argued back and forth, and probably no one is going to change their mind about which way the game needs to be played.

Some claim the this is for lazy coaches. There is just as much coaching that goes in to stalling the ball or trying to defense the stall as there is to other parts of the game. I need to have my team ready defensively for the stall and offensively I also have to have it ready to be able to stall. I would think that my team would not going to be able to anything good if I am a lazy coach.

If your team is not sound fundamentally, you will not be able to hold the ball or defense it. Passing, ball handling, spacing, and foul shooting are very important to this part of the game. These are areas IMO that are lacking in today's game. This would tend to make a player a more complete player (need to improve). I would think that a college coach would be interested in someone with those skills.

To me the will to win is the driving force to make a player get better.

I would not mention to the folks in Gleason that you should not slow down the game. Seems like it won them a state championshlip year before last. I believe that they had girls to go on to a higher level. If you are good enough to play, the colleges will find you.

If teams don't like to have someone slow the game down, they need to learn to do a better job on defense.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a shot clock is needed, but I'll admit that is was frustrating watching Gleason play keep away for the final 10 minutes or so. When I go to a basketball game I like to watch a game of basketball being played. If I want to watch keep away, I'll go watch a first grade class play it.

I wouldn't mind if you turn the shot clock off in the final two minutes and allow a team to stall then, but stalling for a quarter or more is for the birds.

This has been debated for years and will continue to be and I'm sure it would make the game more entertaining for the fans sometimes. In college you have the best of best out of high school they can play shot clock but in high school you got less atheletic people learning the game in all aspects, offense, defense, executing and a lot of basic fundementals. The more athletic players would dominate a lot more and you would see a lot more mistakes by the less athletic players and the team concept would no longer be as it is now. You would see more scoring by the better teams and less learning by both teams and lop sided games that are now closer and the defense would mean very little. Look at the pros 90% offenseive individuals with a lot of talent, however I'll watch a good high school game over a pro game any day but thats just me.The shot clock has its place but I'm not convinced its best for competive high school basketball. If you think holding the ball is boring listen to the applause of the fans when their teams are sucessful in keeping it away from the defense for the last shot.

There is no strategy in playing "keep away" - if you have a lead why would you not hold the ball with no shot clock -- the strategy is from the Coach that is behind - do u foul or go for a steal. There is more/new strategy with a shot clock

There is a lot of strategy in playing "keep away". There have been times where I've had a 5-7 point lead with a few minutes left and did this. I've even started games in a delay type of offense against certain teams. One has to prepare their teams for these circumstances. It can throw opponents out of whack if they are not prepared for it..but I also agree with you: there is also strategy from the other coach in how they respond to it

Nobody has made a compelling argument for the shot clock yet. What good do you think it will do? And I don't see any drama in bringing up the college game and the NBA, since they both have shot clocks!

compelling argument.......you just made one subconsciencely...preparing the kids for college play.

Now there are others. Alot of the posts say that teams couldnt adapt. Have a little faith, Rob made a very good point that the 10s in AAU adapt after just a couple of games. Another is that stats are more prone to flurrish and we know parent love that. Also playing time should be more distibuted since few can keep up the pace for 18 min stretches. Also it enhances the transition game. Without a shotclock, alot of games that are lets say a 10, 8 or even 6 point sread at the 3:00 min mark are over if a team starts their stall, whereas with the shotclock forcing the offense to continue playing the game is still obtainable. There are a books worth of more reasons but the most compelling is that if you were to ask the kids who have played in both situations what would their choice would be?

I am still not buying it. It is part of the current game to build a lead and then go into your delay game at the end to force the other team to foul. I do not know how many times that I have cringed when a team with a 6 or 8 point lead keeps firing up bricks in the final two minutes and allows their opponent back in the game. That is bad coaching and bad basketball in my book. Run your delay in the final two minutes and shoot nothing but layups and freethrows. As a former coach, I would hate to think that a shot clock would force you to take shots that you currently do not have to take. Where is the reward for building the lead?

Not an advocate for or against the shot clock.

JUST WHEN THIS TWO TEAMS MEET.....THERE NEEDS TO BE ONE!!!!!

2-3-09 results

Northside / 4 / 0 / 0 / 2 / -- / 6 /

Melrose / 22 / 0 / 0 / 0 / -- / 22 /

1-13-09 results

22-6 Final

WITH NO SCORES AFTER HALFTIME

I would say a shot clock is certainly needed, when these two teams square off /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

This can be argued back and forth, and probably no one is going to change their mind about which way the game needs to be played.

Some claim the this is for lazy coaches. There is just as much coaching that goes in to stalling the ball or trying to defense the stall as there is to other parts of the game. I need to have my team ready defensively for the stall and offensively I also have to have it ready to be able to stall. I would think that my team would not going to be able to anything good if I am a lazy coach.

If your team is not sound fundamentally, you will not be able to hold the ball or defense it. Passing, ball handling, spacing, and foul shooting are very important to this part of the game. These are areas IMO that are lacking in today's game. This would tend to make a player a more complete player (need to improve). I would think that a college coach would be interested in someone with those skills.

To me the will to win is the driving force to make a player get better.

I would not mention to the folks in Gleason that you should not slow down the game. Seems like it won them a state championshlip year before last. I believe that they had girls to go on to a higher level. If you are good enough to play, the colleges will find you.

If teams don't like to have someone slow the game down, they need to learn to do a better job on defense.

YES IT DID HELP GLEASON CAUSE IT WAS AGAINST JC. WAS THE RECORD FOR GLEASON THAT 36-1 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. HOLDING THE BALL WAS HOW THEY DID IT EVERY PERIOD. THATS WHY I THINK A SHOT CLOCK SHOULD BE ADDED IN TOURNMENT TIME.

Here's the best argument I can make:

They did it again Northside & Melrose

Northside / 4 / 0 / 0 / 2 / -- / 6 /

Melrose / 22 / 0 / 0 / 0 / -- / 22 /

Last time the score was 26-6, no scores after halftime

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Does Melrose just hold the ball? Does Northside sit in a zone? Or does Northside just hold the ball, content with a 20 point loss?

There is a shot clock already. It's an 8 minute shot clock

It is hard enough to find someone to run the clock, let alone a shot clock. It was cause alot of problems

Keeping a shot clock is not brain surgery - yes - u have to pay attention... just wondering IF the shot clock had been a part of the game when it was invented - would we be discussing> I wish they would get rid of that dang shot clock so we clould slooooowww the game down.....