should there be shot clocks

jcbiggestfan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel the shot clock would be and is a detriment to the game. Being able to maintain possession of the ball is a trait of teams that can be successful. It would hurt the defense of overall games because teams would not have to work through extended opponent possessions. If high school basketball is simply to be commercialized the by all means put in a shot clock, and do away with officials they don't call basketball anymore they "let them play" which means if I am bigger and stronger that you You lose. To heck with finesse. I like the 3 pointer but let's play ball officiated like 30 years ago.

Well said. Bring on the shot clocks. I don't understand those who seem to suggest that some players/programs couldn't possibly adapt.

Exactly......kids adapt better than anybody. I'm for a shot clock.....it will make some of these lazy coaches actually coach and come up a good game plan to put their team in the best possible position to be successful.

I see absolutely no advantage to adding a shot clock to high school basketball and see no need for it. The game is fine as it is. If you want to play fast; press, trap, run, and jack up a shot every ten seconds. Most of the good athletic teams are doing that anyway and often for too long. If somebody gets a lead and holds the ball; match-up man-to-man and use the five and ten second clocks that are already part of the game. Forcing inferior unathletic teams to play faster than they can will just make for some ugly basketball. And I am sorry, but some teams will not adapt, they will be more likely to drop the sport. Many of our single A and double A programs just do not produce high level athletes capable of playing a college or NBA paced game. Strategy and tempo control are often the only way they can even compete and I have actually known coaches who played to get beat 50-30 instead of 90-40, just to keep from humiliating their players. Remember these are high school kids, not scholarship athletes or paid professionals.

The NBA and college games added the shot clocks to get more dunks and thirty foot three pointers. Fans pay big ticket prices and wanted more entertainment. It is all about money. The team concept has been lost and most games are simply one on one games by the best players. That is fine when all the schools have an opportunity to recruit players and when NBA teams can draft the best athletes in the world to play for them. Many of our high school girl's programs have produced few if any scholarship players. Yet, many of them can offset athletic advantage with teamwork and skill. I say leave the shot clocks for the NBA, college, and AAU and just let the high school kids keep playing the great game they are playing now. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!"

Why try to fix something that's not broken? I've been as aggravated as everyone else ,at time, when my team was behind and couldn't get possession without fouling.---But---I firmly believe you give the more atheletic teams a big advantage over the less atheletic, but well coached teams, with a shot clock.----IMO there,s nothing more enjoyable than watching a well coached, disciplined team, play defense. A shot clock can make a defense lazy, knowing they only have to defend for a certain number of seconds. Let's keep shot clocks where they belong----'in the "money" leagues'. They don't belong in high school basketball!

I agree with those that think we should not get the shot clock. I think that we should keep catering to the lowest common denominator in the skill level. I would like to see the TSSAA go back to 3 on 3, shrink the size of goal so that the ball can bearly clear the goal. That way the scores will be closer, like 2-0. Then we should make the winning team do a cheer for the lossing team, then everyone join hands at mid-court and sing Kum-bi-ya. If we can be successful in lowering the scores to single digits, slow the pace, and make repeated fruitless trips up and down the floor with no scores, perhaps we can make the game of basketball as popular at the high school level as soccer. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

No shot clock is needed in high school basketball.

The more eager players are involved in AAU and play in the summer with a shot clock.

At the HS level:

There is still the 10 sec count, getting the ball across midcourt.-

The 5 second count when closley guarded. An aggressive defence can force an offence to do something.

Don't fix something that ain't broke!