Unsigned Players

wilsontd

According to an insider at Oakland, both these guys are great kids but probably not Division 1-A or 1-AA players talent wise. A Division II school or NAIA school may be a good fit for them if their grades are where they need to be. There were only 57 Division 1-A guys in the whole state of TN and only 2 from Rutherford County and both of those were from Blackman. You would be surprised how much talent it takes to sign with a Divsion 1 school. The measurables have to be right (size, speed, height, etc) for their position and they must be very productive and then the grades must be right.

I will give you the benefit that Precious is probably too small to play college ball on D-1 or 1-AA level, but Sam Bass certainly is capable, as well as Anthony Amey. Oakland isnt oozing with college talent, but its not non-existent either. Sam and Anthony may not play the position they have in high school, but both have the talent to be pretty successful at the next level, along with Derek Barrett, who I just about nearly forgot. What most people forget is that recruits can sign far beyond NSD, so there is still plenty of time

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give you the benefit that Precious is probably too small to play college ball on D-1 or 1-AA level, but Sam Bass certainly is capable, as well as Anthony Amey. Oakland isnt oozing with college talent, but its not non-existent either. Sam and Anthony may not play the position they have in high school, but both have the talent to be pretty successful at the next level, along with Derek Barrett, who I just about nearly forgot. What most people forget is that recruits can sign far beyond NSD, so there is still plenty of time

I agree Sam Bass has potential, so what would be the reason? This is an honest question! My comments were simply repeating what I was told and I connected them with the fact that they did not sign any where. I certainly wish Bass the best and hopes he finds a place that is a good fit for him.

I was told that Amey was very smart and had great grades, What about an Ivey League school for him?

Barrett however is definitly more suited for a Division II school or a NAIA school like Tusculum or Lambuth. And, that is okay, I hope he too finds a place to continue his career.

I agree Sam Bass has potential, so what would be the reason? This is an honest question! My comments were simply repeating what I was told and I connected them with the fact that they did not sign any where. I certainly wish Bass the best and hopes he finds a place that is a good fit for him.

I was told that Amey was very smart and had great grades, What about an Ivey League school for him?

Barrett however is definitly more suited for a Division II school or a NAIA school like Tusculum or Lambuth. And, that is okay, I hope he too finds a place to continue his career.

I never like to bring a kid down, but could very well be Sam having problems getting qualified. In that case, I hope he can pull thru and sign with somebody down the road. I have heard of a few lower tier D-1 schools for Anthony, such as Navy and Army, but you maybe right, Ivy League maybe the best route.

However, I disagree with Barrett. He got so much attention from D-1 and 1-AA schools that its hard for me to fathom that his stocked dropped so low that he had to settle Division II or NAIA, not to say that there is anything wrong with that, just that he was getting alot of interest early on and had a pretty solid season.

I never like to bring a kid down, but could very well be Sam having problems getting qualified. In that case, I hope he can pull thru and sign with somebody down the road. I have heard of a few lower tier D-1 schools for Anthony, such as Navy and Army, but you maybe right, Ivy League maybe the best route.

However, I disagree with Barrett. He got so much attention from D-1 and 1-AA schools that its hard for me to fathom that his stocked dropped so low that he had to settle Division II or NAIA, not to say that there is anything wrong with that, just that he was getting alot of interest early on and had a pretty solid season.

i don't like to say anything negative about a kid either. These guys bust their butts year round and do the best with the talent that God gave them. For that Barrett and others deserve our applause and encouragement. However, Barrett just does not have the talent it takes to play at a high level. But he can play somewhere but it will be at Div. II or NAIA for sure. Check with those in the know and you will see for certain what i am saying is true. And there would be NO SHAME at all for playing at a DII or NAIA school. He might have got the attention but it did drop off and this happens all the time and there was a reason for it. College coaches see through all the articles and scout.com stuff really quickly.

About the kickers:

Matthew Gossett was a very good kicker-at least from what i saw. I was impressed with the field goal he drained at the end of the half against Catholic from 44 yards with I would have to say 10 or so yards (I was standing right behind the goal post when this happened) So to say the least, i'm impressed with him.

Evan Sanders is a very good kid. I've had the pleasure of talking to him several times and he is a very nice young man and he should be a very successful kicker in college. He has a great opportunity ahead of him. He really put Catholic in position to win some close games. His numbers might not be spectacular FG-wise (due to the lack of attempts), but he was a great help on kickoffs and hit some crucial field goals. Congratulations to him.

About the kickers:

Evan Sanders is a very good kid. I've had the pleasure of talking to him several times and he is a very nice young man and he should be a very successful kicker in college. He has a great opportunity ahead of him. He really put Catholic in position to win some close games. His numbers might not be spectacular FG-wise (due to the lack of attempts), but he was a great help on kickoffs and hit some crucial field goals. Congratulations to him.

5-7 field goals. Not spectacular but not bad. More of a punter anyway. That's what he'll be doing at Air Force is punting.

If you are referring to the punter from Crossville as Evan Sanders who transferred to Knox Catholic during the school closing crisis then he is signing with Air Force Today. He is a good kid and a hard worker and with their kicker graduating he will have a good chance of being on the field next season. Congrats and good luck Evan

Sanders is one of the better kickers/punters to come out of the state of TN. If he would have stayed in Crossville i believe, and correct me if i'm wrong, he would have been the first D1 player to come out of Cumberland County since the mid 80s. And also I'm pretty sure he is the only kicker or punter Division 1 signee for Tennessee for the class of 2009. Even the Mr. Football kicker is unsigned. Sanders didn't need the award, he proved himself by earning himself the only D1 kicker scholarship. I'm proud of him for representing CC. Keep workin hard. Me and the rest of the family will be praying for you

Well I'm not speaking for the other players or anything, but maybe they just didn't want to play football in college.

Daniel is finishing basketball season to make his decision-or so i've heard (Terrelle pryor did the same last year.)

I haven't heard too much about any of the others yet, but I'm sure they are evaluating their options. Keep in mind our season ended only 2 months ago. They will sign when they are ready.