I have a question for head coaches...

marquis

You read a lot of stuff on here about what coaches can do, or what coaches do not do to help a kid get a scholarship, in football, or any other sport. How much does a coach help in that respect? Do coaches actively pursue colleges, or do you just wait for colleges to inquire about a certain player? What advice would you give a player who wants to play on another level? How should a player approach a coach about playing on another level?

I'm not asking you to identify yourself or speak about specific players. Thanks for any input.

High school coaches usually build relationships with college coaches and scouts. College coaches come to respect the opinion of HS coaches based on a fair and honest assessment of their athletes. A lot of uninformed people think that HS coaches should be pushing to get their kids into college programs, which only on the surface is true. However, if a HS coach touts a player, and the player is a bust at the next level, the college coach doesnt come back to that well any more, and the possibility of a kid who really can play at the next level can be missed because of an overzealous hs coach trying to get his players into college programs. HS coaches have to be very careful and very honest with their recommendations to college coaches.

Its a mutual thing between hs and college coaches.

If an hs athlete is wanting to get to the next level, he needs to talk to his coach. Find out where he needs to improve, what it takes at the next level, train and play as hard as he can, hope he has enough natural talent, and keep his grades up. HS coaches are pretty good at knowing what next level (D1, D2, etc.) a kid can play at. When a matching program puts out the word that they are looking for a position or player, then the hs coach may have someone in mind.

I assume we are not talkig about the 4 and 5 star athletes...they advertise themselves by their ability and level of play, no matter the coach or program they play for.

Head Coaches have a tremendous say about a player being noticed by a college. It is their opinion that opens the doors to be looked at . If their opinion carries any weight about talent, then the college coach is going to give the kid a good look. What often happens, is that an athlete pigeon holes themselves by only being interested in playing for one university.

Say an athlete is talented, but only wants to play for UT, which is often the case, what self respecting coach would push an athlete on UT who is not capable of meeting their requirements. However if the athlete is willing to play at a university where he is wanted, then the scope of the situation changes.

I would personally sit down with all of my seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshman, with any talent and begin talking about GRADES & ACT SCORES, which is usually the biggest hold back, and explain to them the reality of playing college football.

First they need to decide if they want to play college ball or attend college. I have seen plenty of players that said they wanted to play college ball, however, they were simply attending college and practicing football.

To start on the college level is a full time job, so in essence the athlete has two full time jobs, First attending classes and staying academically eligible, and second performing and keeping their starting job.

As a Head Coach, I have tried to develop relationships with at least 30 colleges where my athletes would be able to be academically eligible, and make an impact for the team. I also am concerned about what the college needs. Are they looking for receivers, qb's, lineman, lber's, etc. I want my athletes who are totally committed to be totally successful. I also send film after the 3rd, 6th, 9th, game of the season and end of the playoff's.

Once I have a handle on all colleges that are interested in an athlete, I am personally invested in where they will fit the best. In my opinion, I do not want my athletes stockpiled at any university. I want them in the classroom and on the field pursuing their dreams.

This takes a lot of time, however all 8 seniors had the opportunity to sign letters of intent, 4 chose to do so. They will ultimately be successful because they have some understanding of the commitment level that it takes to start on the next level. Notice, I did not say play, I said start. The 4 that chose not to play, will still attend college, but are gifted enough academically to go that way, but if they change their mind all they have to do is call me, and I will open the doors for them.

Once again, expectations are the key. All colleges have their key marks for speed, height, strength, needs by position, etc. Whether they are D1 or D3, the athletes expectations have to be realistic. Athletes that go to the next level and perform are going to be noticed by the next level whether they play D1 or D3. Just look at the pro's, not all players come from D1 schools, and some make it because they refuse to quit at anytime.

It seems to me that an athlete that works hard at all times, and refuses to take no for an answer will always find a coach that is a fan, and a place to play on the field.

As a head coach talent is great, heart is better, position is not important, and pride does not need to get in the way of playing on the field.

Head Coaches have a tremendous say about a player being noticed by a college. It is their opinion that opens the doors to be looked at . If their opinion carries any weight about talent, then the college coach is going to give the kid a good look. What often happens, is that an athlete pigeon holes themselves by only being interested in playing for one university.

Say an athlete is talented, but only wants to play for UT, which is often the case, what self respecting coach would push an athlete on UT who is not capable of meeting their requirements. However if the athlete is willing to play at a university where he is wanted, then the scope of the situation changes.

I would personally sit down with all of my seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshman, with any talent and begin talking about GRADES & ACT SCORES, which is usually the biggest hold back, and explain to them the reality of playing college football.

First they need to decide if they want to play college ball or attend college. I have seen plenty of players that said they wanted to play college ball, however, they were simply attending college and practicing football.

To start on the college level is a full time job, so in essence the athlete has two full time jobs, First attending classes and staying academically eligible, and second performing and keeping their starting job.

As a Head Coach, I have tried to develop relationships with at least 30 colleges where my athletes would be able to be academically eligible, and make an impact for the team. I also am concerned about what the college needs. Are they looking for receivers, qb's, lineman, lber's, etc. I want my athletes who are totally committed to be totally successful. I also send film after the 3rd, 6th, 9th, game of the season and end of the playoff's.

Once I have a handle on all colleges that are interested in an athlete, I am personally invested in where they will fit the best. In my opinion, I do not want my athletes stockpiled at any university. I want them in the classroom and on the field pursuing their dreams.

This takes a lot of time, however all 8 seniors had the opportunity to sign letters of intent, 4 chose to do so. They will ultimately be successful because they have some understanding of the commitment level that it takes to start on the next level. Notice, I did not say play, I said start. The 4 that chose not to play, will still attend college, but are gifted enough academically to go that way, but if they change their mind all they have to do is call me, and I will open the doors for them.

Once again, expectations are the key. All colleges have their key marks for speed, height, strength, needs by position, etc. Whether they are D1 or D3, the athletes expectations have to be realistic. Athletes that go to the next level and perform are going to be noticed by the next level whether they play D1 or D3. Just look at the pro's, not all players come from D1 schools, and some make it because they refuse to quit at anytime.

It seems to me that an athlete that works hard at all times, and refuses to take no for an answer will always find a coach that is a fan, and a place to play on the field.

As a head coach talent is great, heart is better, position is not important, and pride does not need to get in the way of playing on the field.

MY SON IS PLAYING FOOTBALL IN KANSAS. THE COACH IS HELPFUL IN HELPING GET FILM TOGHETHER AND SENDING LETTERS. HOWEVER, IT IS UP TO THE PARENT AND STUDENT TO PROVIDE FILM ON DVD TO THE COLLEGES HE WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND. GOING THROUGH A SCOUTING SERVICE IS NOT BAD, BUT CAN BE EXPENSIVE. (NOW LET ME SAY THIS NO COACH HAS THE TIME TO MAKE DVD'S, CALL TEAMS, WRITE LETTERS FOR ALL WHO WANT TO PLAY ON THE NEXT LEVEL --IT WILL BE YOU WHO TYPICALLY HAVE TO GET THE DVD'S COPIED, MAILED OUT AND E-MAILTHE COACHES) THIS IS HOW MOST KIDS WILL GET NOTICED. BLUE CHIPPERS DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. MY SON CAME FROM A SMALL SCHOOL. IT IS EASIER TO GET NOTICED IF YOU ARE FROM A LARGER SCHOOL. AND YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT KNOW YOUR LEVEL OF PLAY. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO PLAY SEND TO ALL LEVELS NCAA AND NAIA. IF YOU ARE A BORDERLINE STUDENT NAIA SCHOOL HAVE THE EASIEST QUALIFICATIONS. THEY ARE COMPETIVE WITH D-2 LEVEL--THE MAIN THING WHETHER YOU ARE PLAYING D-1 OR D-3 ATHLETICS CAN BE VERY HELPFUL IN PROVIDING A CHANCE TO GET A QUALITY EDUCATION.

Best explanation I've seen yet on what a head football coach in high school should be doing to help his kids and his program. It seems as though this involves more work than most coaches are willing to do. (But they all expect their kids to put forth 100% now don't they?) Set the example coaches and maybe your kids will work just as hard. A thought.

Best explanation I've seen yet on what a head football coach in high school should be doing to help his kids and his program. It seems as though this involves more work than most coaches are willing to do. (But they all expect their kids to put forth 100% now don't they?) Set the example coaches and maybe your kids will work just as hard. A thought.

convince principals to back off on the teaching requirements and coaches can do a lot more of this... some coaches have it easier than others... some have 2 classes, some have 5 classes... some may have 6... if school administration places a high value on getting their kids an advanced education, then they will work with the individual coaches... just a thought

Needs to be group effort.

Coaches have a part, parents/player has a part and the adminstration has a part.

The coach needs to be honest with the player/parent about their abilities to play at the next level. If a player isn't DI material, then be honest with them.

The coach should provide the game films, but it's up to the player/parents to put it together and get it mailed out.

It can be a long process. Watching all games and selecting out 20-30 plays for the highlight film.

The coach could write a cover letter of introduction and make themselves available to talk with college recruiters.

The administration needs to encourage and educate the student-athlete/parents on the rules and processes involved dealing with the NCAA. If the school has some film production/editing facilties, they could make them available for the process.

Good Luck to all student-athletes who want to continue their education and play. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am an assistant coach and up until this year I handled all of the recruiting for our kids. Our head coach would just talk to the college coaches and let me know what they said and I handled the rest. I did the highlight tapes, took them to camps, called coaches, checked grades and made sure they understood what level they could play on. We had some coaches that were telling them they could play at Georgia and Florida when the kids could barely play at Lambuth so the best bet is to be honest with them. I know sometimes it is to much for the head coaches to do so I also recommend what we did delegate some of the stuff out to your assistant coaches and let them help to get their position players in school they should want to anyway since they spend the most time with them. Just a thought.

I am an assistant coach and up until this year I handled all of the recruiting for our kids. Our head coach would just talk to the college coaches and let me know what they said and I handled the rest. I did the highlight tapes, took them to camps, called coaches, checked grades and made sure they understood what level they could play on. We had some coaches that were telling them they could play at Georgia and Florida when the kids could barely play at Lambuth so the best bet is to be honest with them. I know sometimes it is to much for the head coaches to do so I also recommend what we did delegate some of the stuff out to your assistant coaches and let them help to get their position players in school they should want to anyway since they spend the most time with them. Just a thought.

You sound like a coach that really takes an interest in his players. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You mentioned up until this year?

Are you not doing this anymore or just delegated more of it?

You sound like a coach that really takes an interest in his players. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You mentioned up until this year?

Are you not doing this anymore or just delegated more of it?

No I went to a program where the head coach wanted to handle more of it, but you are right I do take a heavy interest in my players' futures.

my son wants to play college baseball and you hear so many different things 1. you hear coaches dont want to hear from parents then you hear they do 2. the head coach does it then you hear they dont 3. recruiting services are not neccesary then i hear they are good and so on and so on I have a friend who has a friend LOL and his friend is going to help us decide what level my son can play at so ive decided to wait til after this year(jr) to compile the CD but then i heard that i should do that NOW LOL things we do for our kids LOL...my guess is he is good enough for JUCO so i guess that will be our starting point