krichunaka

1) Elizabethton

2) Hampton

3) Cloudland

4) Unicoi County

5) Happy Valley

6) Unaka

7) Johnson County

The Lady Cyclones lost at home Friday night to South Greene. However, when that loss is put into its

proper perspective, all of us can take a little extra pride in our Seven's number one team:

South Greene has lost three games this season. Two of those losses were to Morristown West; and, the

Lady Rebels actually once defeated those same Lady Trojans... in the semi-finals of the Greene Bank

Classic; incidentally, the only loss of the season for Morristown West.

The next evening, the twenty-three-and-three Lady Wildcats of Wilson Central beat the lady Rebels for the

Title. By two points. In overtime. So, our great state's fifth-rated team - South Greene - is very good.

Elizabethton is also quite good.

Probably Murfreesboro good.

Hampton handled Unaka at home Friday night. The Lady Bulldogs can share the conference regular-season

title by defeating University High at home Monday; follow that up Tuesday with another win in Hampton, over

North Greene... then, go to Roan Mountain and win this Friday. By defeating North Greene, and losing to

Cloudland, we'll have a three-way tie. By losing to North Greene, no matter the result of this Friday's game,

North Greene wins the title outright.

At times Friday night in Roan Mountain, Cloudland looked like the team that won last season's District and Region-One tournaments, as several of the Lady Highlanders battled illness while defeating the visiting Lady Huskies of

North Greeene. At other times they looked as though they might let the game slip away. It was a great battle of

wills against a determined opponent.

Now all the Lady Highlanders have to do to share this season's regular-season title is, go and defeat the down-trodden Lady Rangers on Stoney Creek, then win at home this Friday night against Hampton, which, of course,

could be much-easier said than done. It seems only fitting that come Friday night, we could see a three-way tie.

Unicoi County will likely be District-One AA's number-three seed; however, a win in this week's make up game in Erwin against the Lady Cyclones would be a huge confidence builder heading into the tournament. After last week's miserable turn of events, the Lady Blue Devils managed a fifteen-point win over Johnson County, Friday night. Unicoi County has the honor of playing in South Greeneville, Tuesday, before going to Sullivan North this Friday.

Happy Valley can finish a very-respectful eight-and-six by defeating West Greene, Tuesday; then at Elizabethton

this Friday; followed by a win in Mountain City, Monday the sixteenth. Otherwise the Lady Warriors appear headed

for fifth-place in conference, as Chuckey Doak has a more-favorable (Johnson County, West Greene) home-stand finish.

Unaka has one last shot to play spoiler... Tuesday night at home against Cloudland. But, Cloudland looked pretty

good in defeating North Greene Friday night. The Lady Rangers can look forward to possibly ruining some unlucky

team's season in tournament action.

Johnson County gets to play twice in Greene County - at Chuckey Doak, Tuesday; at South Greene, Friday - then there's a home conference game with Happy Valley to finish the regular-season. The Lady Longhorns have played

a few very-competitive games against some of the area's better teams. A strong finish is still possible.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krich is dead on with his rankings this week and I agree with every comment he made....Amazing!!!!!!!

I think the cold weather has affected your thoughts. Maybe the warmer weather this week will help you out. Can't you at least find something wrong with Krich's comments. Are you sure he gave Elizabethton enough credit? Somewhere, somehow you've got to find something. It won't be the same this week without you two trying to help out each other. Try again coach, please.....

I agree with his rankings also but please don't tell anyone.

OK, I found something. With their daunting schedule, I am not sure a strong finish is possible for the Lady Longhorns. They have three tough matchups to end the regular season and will have a tough first round game in the District Tournament. Four and done is a good possibility. I would love to see them upset a few teams, but the schedule is tough.

OK, I found something. With their daunting schedule, I am not sure a strong finish is possible for the Lady Longhorns. They have three tough matchups to end the regular season and will have a tough first round game in the District Tournament. Four and done is a good possibility. I would love to see them upset a few teams, but the schedule is tough.

I knew you would come through.......

Anyone see the Happy Valley/Hampton game? Would like some information. Surprising HV would beat the dogs. Teams seemed to be headed in opposite directions. Guess that's why you play the game.

I too was surprised, but the Lady Dogs had 2 players out, 1 a starter, and Weddle stayed on the bench most of the night with fouls. Probably looking ahead to the NG game but give HV credit because they played well and made some clutch shots at the end. The final score is not indicative of the game. It was nip and tuck the whole way until the end when Hampton started to foul. The Lady Dogs were down by two and missed out on 4 or 5 consecutive transition opportunites and actually shot better from the 3 pt. line than they did from the free throw line. Played with a lot of effort but didn't capitalize when they had a chance. I am still amazed at HV. All that talent and yet they seem to pick and choose when they play hard. Lots of potential there just not sure it will be realized. With the tempo of last nights game it will be interesting to see if either team has anything left in the tank for tonight's conference games.

Thanks, dog, for the report. We wanted to get to that game, but don't always get other things out of the way

in time. Such is life.

Again, the Lady Bulldogs find themselves with multiple players on the bench, either sick, or injured. The

good news - - other players are gaining the experience they'll need if called up in tournament action.

And, I don't want to rekindle the "who has the most talent" debate, but (to me at least) the Lady Warriors

don't appear to have a talent advantage over the other Seven teams. If we go position-for-position, (and of

course, in most every case, this excludes Mariah) all the other teams match up pretty well with each other.

The Lady Warriors have a deep squad, but (and again, only my opinion) they don't have a talent advantage.

Depth? Yes. Overall talent? No.

But most important, are the Lady Bulldogs expected to have everyone available for tonight's game?

I for one will be pulling for the Dogs. If they win, then Cloudland still has a shot to tie for the regular season championship. They will need to get a hand in no. 23's face. She is a lethal shooter and if I was playing man, I put Oliver on the little black girl. She is really quick. Cloudland let her drive to the basket and she almost single handedly beat us. Good luck, Dawgs.

That is a quality win for Happy Valley, even with fouls and sickness plaguing the Dogs. They also own a win over Chuckey-Doak. Other than that, the rest of their wins are against a pretty weak schedule. They will have another chance to get a big win Friday in Elizabethton. I have said all year that Bowling is the key. She is a very talented player who can take over a game. When she goes for 20+ (she had 28 last night), the Warriors can beat good teams. Ward is also very good and had 17 last night. When those two combine for 45, Happy Valley will be hard to beat. The Warriors may be peaking at the right time and the Elizabethton game Friday should be a good indicator of where the Warriors are. They appear to be on a collision course with Chuckey-Doak in the first round of the District Tournament, but they have beaten them once. They could be a dangerous team in the Region if they can keep playing consistently.