How do you build a good program?

wildcatfan64

Thoughts - what does it take to make a good squad? What if boys or girls of a school will not try out? Even when there is a good coach? I guess I get tired of reading and hearing that a team is "horrible" or "terrible" sometimes by their fellow students or even adults. I applaud all teams and their members. When guys and girls give up their summers, afternoons, and vacations to practice and compete in any sport or activity, they should be applauded and given respect. The ones in the crowds making the crude, negative, or unnecessary comments are the ones that are too lazy to commit to a sport or other organized activity for any length of time and would rather complain or criticize instead of work hard. I know that winning seems like everything (and don't get me wrong - I like it too), but I take my hat off to all those dedicated young people who stick it out, even in the hard years. It is easy to quit; it's hard to say I'm stayiing because I love to play the game and love to compete. Good job to all the teams out there! And BOO to those students and adults who do not know what good sportsmanship is.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts - what does it take to make a good squad? What if boys or girls of a school will not try out? Even when there is a good coach? I guess I get tired of reading and hearing that a team is "horrible" or "terrible" sometimes by their fellow students or even adults. I applaud all teams and their members. When guys and girls give up their summers, afternoons, and vacations to practice and compete in any sport or activity, they should be applauded and given respect. The ones in the crowds making the crude, negative, or unnecessary comments are the ones that are too lazy to commit to a sport or other organized activity for any length of time and would rather complain or criticize instead of work hard. I know that winning seems like everything (and don't get me wrong - I like it too), but I take my hat off to all those dedicated young people who stick it out, even in the hard years. It is easy to quit; it's hard to say I'm stayiing because I love to play the game and love to compete. Good job to all the teams out there! And BOO to those students and adults who do not know what good sportsmanship is.

Good points. Most kids in high school are playing because they love the game, and should be respected for that. Once you get to scholarship college programs it changes. Sticking it out through tough times is really preparation for the rest of life, with lessons learned through defeat or tribulations.

The first thing a coach has to do is get kids to come out for the team. Your best talent should be on the court period. I have seen many programs over the years not get the best kids out for the team. If you can't do this, then you will not have a successful program.

How do you do this? You go to where the kids are, you make a point to be seen and talk to as many kids as you can. Always talk up basketball to them, but do not over-pressure them to come out. Let your actions speak louder then your words. Secondly, use the off season to get kids to come out. Open the gym up for the entire school to play pick up. Of course you can not have contact with them at this time, but you can sit in the stands and watch. Next have your players talk up the program to their buddies. If your current players are excited about basketball, then they will spread that excitement out, and it will spread like wildfire.

Once you've done this you go coach and see what happens.

Amen.

If by recruiting you mean begging kids to come to your high school or "legally" moving them to an eligible address, I believe that is one thing that is wrong with the whole system.

I agree it is wrong, but if you want to compete you have to talk up your program to whoever. Look at the Knox county area. Recruiting is all over the place, and it has become a norm for high school basketball in this area. Show me one coach that hasn't talked to another player from another school about playing ball for him, and Ill show you a flat out liar.

I agree it is wrong, but if you want to compete you have to talk up your program to whoever. Look at the Knox county area. Recruiting is all over the place, and it has become a norm for high school basketball in this area. Show me one coach that hasn't talked to another player from another school about playing ball for him, and Ill show you a flat out liar.

TALENT!!!! you must have players. Once the program begins to win, more kids will come out to play and the level of play will be set high. But you must have talent. The greatest coach in the world won't help if they don't have players.

I think it is all about getting kids to buy in to the program, the earlier the better. There is no doubt a talented played make for a team with fewer weaknesses, but they will have weaknesses. A team has a way of exploiting individual weaknesses. Success will attract the more talented players, but those that do not have the talented players need to make sure the players are being properly developed in the middle school level. A middle school coach can help build or destroy a program.

1.) A Cooperative and Knowledgeable Administration: It does not matter how good the coach is or how talented the team is, if the AD and Principal do not have a proper grasp of the situation, as well a proper grasp of what it takes in order for the coach to be successful. A Coach knowing he has complete support from his superiors goes a long way in promoting stability through the program.

2.) Discipline must be a foundation: Regardless of what your philosophies are on offense/defense, one of the first things you MUST MUST MUST instill as a coach is discipline, this is not just a basketball lesson, but a life lesson that will stay with your players wherever they go. This not only serves them in terms of execution of the gameplan, but they way they conduct themselves on and off the court. They are 14-18 year old kids and they will indeed make mistakes, but the important thing is for them to have that foundation as a guide in which to conduct their daily lives.

3.) Play to your team's strengths/ your opponent's weaknesses: Too often coaches stick to a set way of doing things, instead of trying to adjust the gameplan on a game by game basis, or as your team's personnel dictates. The absolute worst thing a coach can do IMO is stubbornly stick to an ideal or philosophy, when a better one exists when preparing for the upcoming opponent. But even more importantly than playing to the weakness of your opponent, is to play to the strenght of the team you have. If you have a team that is suited for the up-tempo game, then get out and force the issue and stretch the floor, but prepare for games in which teams will force you try to slow it down a bit.

4.) Keep your team grounded: Regardless of the success your team is having or the lack thereof, you team can never be too high or too low. If you are successful and are getting sufficient press in the media and among the fans, then a coach needs to find other ways in which to keep his team motivated or grounded. Likewise, if your team is struggling, find new ways in which to inspire them, show them that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel and that other goals can still be achieved, even for the seniors.

5. Players buying in to what you are doing: This sort of falls in line with discipline and gameplan, but your kids have to believe in what you are coaching, if not, it is indeed a waste of a good gameplan. I have seen programs that do not have near the talent of others, yet year after year, they are able to put together solid results, regardless of the previous talent that has graduated.

6. Get the whole school involved: The student body does not have a big say in the success of the program, but excitement/enthusiasm within the school can make for a significant home court advantage, and in some games, maybe that tips the scales enough to get your program a win on that night.

Seems like that is about it. there are always multiple ways to success in terms of what to run and what not to run, but over the years, I found these things to be the basis on any program that has consistent success.