TSSAA OFFICIALS

BEARCLAW

Aren't rules made to keep the game safe and to keep one player from gaining an unfair advantage over another?

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> luv2ref, how true, how true. You made some excellent points in your post a few above this one. It is those officials who don't follow the rules and allow the playing floor to become unsafe and unfair for the players. After all, the game is about the kids and not the fans or anyone else. I'm sure you have seen, in your experience of watching games to learn as we all do, officials who allow things to get out of hand by letting the game get too rough, or by letting too many things slip by to keep play going. A coach who consistently does not perform as expected is replaced, not tolerated. A player who consistently does not perform is benched, or removed from the team. What happens to officials who are consistently not up to par? How are they disciplined? Evidently nothing is done, because we see the same officials that coaches have complained about for years back on the court still doing a sorry job of what the rest do well. There is no accountability. Yes, a bad official can be blackballed, but that just moves their poor performance to somewhere else for the same things to happen again. That is the complaint. There are too many good officials taking the bad rap for the hadful who should not be wearing the uniform. As I've said before, thank you to all those officials who are doing what they are supposed to do....... keep the game safe and everyone on a level playing surface. To those I've tagged "third legs", take up knitting or something where so much is not at stake! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Dick, I've been there, done that, and got the scars to back up my words. No one is talking about judgement calls here. No one would argue that we've all made mistakes with judgements. However, when you have two players on the floor for a loose ball and one comes up with the ball, and the other comes up with the other player's head in a head lock, there is no judgement on that one. When a player steps out of bounds and the official does not make the call, that is not judgement. When a player lays so much on another player's back to the point that that player steps sideways and the "leaning player" falls down because his "prop" is gone, that isn't judgement. "Third leg officials" make judgement calls. Good officials make their calls by the rulebook as they should. No whining here, just wondering why an official would choose a judgement call over the rulebook where a walk is a walk, a foul is a foul, out of bounds is out of bounds, a push is a push, and 3 points are 3 points. Where's your judgement? Are you one of those officials who has several "blank pages" in his/her rulebook so they can make up a few judgemental calls? Therein lies the problem and thus is born the "third leg". You have just made everyone's argument justified by your judgement statement. Thank you for finally agreeing that some calls are outside the TSSAA set rules. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So what you are saying is everytime a fingernail is laid upon a player the whistle should be blown? Look, some calls are missed, that's a fact.......sounds to me you have ill feelings towards a few officials....and if you "have been there, done that, and got scars to back my words", then obviously you, my friend, were the "third leg" and couldn't keep up with the game and had to bail out.......not responding to your posts anymore, because you apparently are one of these BIASED parents who does not understand the game or rules..........

So what you are saying is everytime a fingernail is laid upon a player the whistle should be blown? Look, some calls are missed, that's a fact.......sounds to me you have ill feelings towards a few officials....and if you "have been there, done that, and got scars to back my words", then obviously you, my friend, were the "third leg" and couldn't keep up with the game and had to bail out.......not responding to your posts anymore, because you apparently are one of these BIASED parents who does not understand the game or rules..........

You go dick... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

If you only have so many certified tssaa sanctioned officials - "third legs" or whatever, on a busy January Friday night, every single official available is working....Some veterans, some newer officials, and some "third legs" have to work....Bearclaw, since you are an x official, you must know how hard it is to keep officials year in and year out...to keep them in an association and keep them happy (giving them the games they think they should have)...So many variables in an official's dedication and committment to officiating in general...

But to beat a dead horse again, I see more consistency in high school bb officiating than I do in college games....game in and game out...

Dick, you and I share the same sentiment....some people will complain and complain and complain....Referees rise above the pettiness.....we have to, because somebody has to be in charge of the contests...Just the way it is... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

u sir, r ignorant 2 the powers that be.... we can't call it the eastnboy way.... tssaa is bigger than your pony ######...

You apparently have never really played the game of basketball and try to hold on to the game by being a ref. Whatever dude!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! The tssaa is a communist organization!

You apparently have never really played the game of basketball and try to hold on to the game by being a ref. Whatever dude!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! The tssaa is a communist organization!

Boy is a good name for you....Have played and know the difference between communism and sarcasm....dude...

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> luv2ref, how true, how true. You made some excellent points in your post a few above this one. It is those officials who don't follow the rules and allow the playing floor to become unsafe and unfair for the players. After all, the game is about the kids and not the fans or anyone else. I'm sure you have seen, in your experience of watching games to learn as we all do, officials who allow things to get out of hand by letting the game get too rough, or by letting too many things slip by to keep play going. A coach who consistently does not perform as expected is replaced, not tolerated. A player who consistently does not perform is benched, or removed from the team. What happens to officials who are consistently not up to par? How are they disciplined? Evidently nothing is done, because we see the same officials that coaches have complained about for years back on the court still doing a sorry job of what the rest do well. There is no accountability. Yes, a bad official can be blackballed, but that just moves their poor performance to somewhere else for the same things to happen again. That is the complaint. There are too many good officials taking the bad rap for the hadful who should not be wearing the uniform. As I've said before, thank you to all those officials who are doing what they are supposed to do....... keep the game safe and everyone on a level playing surface. To those I've tagged "third legs", take up knitting or something where so much is not at stake! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just throwing my two cents in for what it's worth. Referring to your comment about coaches are replaced and players are benched for not doing a good enough job... Imagine trying to replace a coach when you have zero other applicants, or the only applicant was a middle school coach that had 1 year of experience, and you knew you'd be throwing him into the fire so to speak. That would be similar to the jobs the assignors try to do. Also, imagine trying to sub in for a player that's having a bad game when you either have an empty bench or the next closest thing is a brand new player that knows none of the plays, just knows a little about the game? See where I'm trying to go with this? Coaches play the best 5 players they have on their bench (atleast we hope they do), assignors for the TSSAA put the best officials they can out there night to night. The third legs are out there because without them we'd have 1 and maybe 2 officials on each game each night... Hince why you see better officiating as you get deeper into the season, with fewer and fewer games going on. Region and Substate should have some of the better officials and the State tournament will have, well, should have the best officials the state has to offer. Just something to think about. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Just throwing my two cents in for what it's worth. Referring to your comment about coaches are replaced and players are benched for not doing a good enough job... Imagine trying to replace a coach when you have zero other applicants, or the only applicant was a middle school coach that had 1 year of experience, and you knew you'd be throwing him into the fire so to speak. That would be similar to the jobs the assignors try to do. Also, imagine trying to sub in for a player that's having a bad game when you either have an empty bench or the next closest thing is a brand new player that knows none of the plays, just knows a little about the game? See where I'm trying to go with this? Coaches play the best 5 players they have on their bench (atleast we hope they do), assignors for the TSSAA put the best officials they can out there night to night. The third legs are out there because without them we'd have 1 and maybe 2 officials on each game each night... Hince why you see better officiating as you get deeper into the season, with fewer and fewer games going on. Region and Substate should have some of the better officials and the State tournament will have, well, should have the best officials the state has to offer. Just something to think about. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Bingo....kismet....checkmate....game over.....

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Dickie, Dickie, Dickie.......nothing could be further from the truth. You evidently don't have on your reading glasses. I have ill feelings towards those officials who have no business being on the floor. Maybe I was one of those "third legs" because officiating was not my cup of tea. At least I had sense and courtesy enough to get out and not mess up the game for the other officials, players, coaches, and yes....the fans. I sure didn't bail out, and won't bail from this post. You are free to respond to any of these posts, and your comments are always welcome, but if that one was your last reply..... so long, farewell, and I for one won't miss you! Dickie worries about fingernails, and the rest of us worry about bloody noses, bruises, and cuts that were not necessary because the rules were not being enforced/followed. So long Dickie! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You go dick... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Yes, please go dick! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

If you only have so many certified tssaa sanctioned officials - "third legs" or whatever, on a busy January Friday night, every single official available is working....Some veterans, some newer officials, and some "third legs" have to work....Bearclaw, since you are an x official, you must know how hard it is to keep officials year in and year out...to keep them in an association and keep them happy (giving them the games they think they should have)...So many variables in an official's dedication and committment to officiating in general...

But to beat a dead horse again, I see more consistency in high school bb officiating than I do in college games....game in and game out...

Dick, you and I share the same sentiment....some people will complain and complain and complain....Referees rise above the pettiness.....we have to, because somebody has to be in charge of the contests...Just the way it is... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> I still would rather have one good official than to have three, with one or two who just can't call. There is too much at stake. The game is not about the officials, the fans, or the coaches. It's about the kids out there playing. There's been too much said on here defending the "third legs" who are allowed to continue causing problems just for the sake of ego. Forget the fans, the coaches, and the officials, and let's get back to the truly important people on the court.....the players. There is a lot of support on this thread for the officials who have no business being on the floor, and too little on the players.....who are the ones who suffer from the poor officials. Defend them all you want. Agree with Dicke all you want. It still is not right. I hung up the patches a long time ago because I didn't belong behind the plate nor on the floor. How about some of the rest of you being MAN enough to do the same and hang your egos up with the patches while you are at it. Any REAL MEN out there? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> I don't totally disagree, but I would still rather have two decent officials than to have two decent officials with one "dud". Your point is taken as well. There are a lot of analogies that could be made from this, but that would get us nowhere. Again, I applaud those officials who get out there night after night with the goal of making the game better for the kids. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> Now, can we all agree on the hospitality rooms? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

A coach who consistently does not perform as expected is replaced, not tolerated. A player who consistently does not perform is benched, or removed from the team.

Bearclaw that may happen in most places, but you know that it will not happen in Grainger County. Coachs can under preform and blame it on the kids and will stay as long as they want the job!!!!!

They can even break civil laws over and over again and they can keep???Being put Back???INTO the same coaching postion.

So you might want ease up on the Referring???Until Grainger get it`s Own???house in order.