Father Ryan

itzme

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are just a bad football team. The players seem try hard but are both too small and slow. Ryan would be an average size single A team and are having to play in Division II AAA. While it probably seems crazy, they are better coached than in past years but just don't have the athletes to execute the game plan. It looks like Ryan is going to have to make a decision:

1. Go get some athletes and stay D-II.

2. Drop back to D-I and not offer any aid to their athletes. They now offer less than 75% the aid of some schools. I know that this would go against the mission of the school and don't think that it will happen.

3. Stay where they are and allow the same thing to continue where a 5-5 season would be great.

[Edited by cbg on 8-31-02 10:31A]

Posted by cbg:

They are just a bad football team. The players seem try hard but are both too small and slow. Ryan would be an average size single A team and are having to play in Division II AAA. While it probably seems crazy, they are better coached than in past years but just don't have the athletes to execute the game plan. It looks like Ryan is going to have to make a decision:

1. Go get some athletes and stay D-II.

2. Drop back to D-I and not offer any aid to their athletes. They now offer less than 75% the aid of some schools. I know that this would go against the mission of the school and don't think that it will happen.

3. Stay where they are and allow the same thing to continue where a 5-5 season would be great.

[Edited by cbg on 8-31-02 10:31A]

When a great coach like Kurt Page leaves a program with seemingly no where to go... you've gotta think he's read the "writing on the wall" and knows the lack of depth or youth of the team(s) coming up from the lower grades. I don't see any changes for Ryan as long as they continue to play in DII and they are stuck their because the Catholic Church is not going to deny scholarship money to the needy. The only other option is to spend money on ads promoting their school and facility and hope they can reload by bringing in some more talent. This is a once great private program that is stuck between a rock and DII! By the way, it's not a coaching problem either... as I have argued on the public/private message board for months, it's a matter of depth and talent. This one is just reversed from the norm! :confused:

[Edited by ELA on 8-31-02 5:40P]

Plenty of great athletes on the current Father Ryan football team. Don't think Kurt Pate "wanted' to leave....if you know what I mean. Father Ryan is in a rebuilding era right now (and the insults as far as the boys being small and slow) are not true. These are great athletes just needing some time to "get it together" under the new leadership. Goodpasture had many a bad year in football....more so than Ryan, so, before you all go bashing a great tradition in this town brush up on your stats. The Irish WILL get it together, they are just too tough not to!!!!!!!!!

Posted by fatkat:

Plenty of great athletes on the current Father Ryan football team. Don't think Kurt Pate "wanted' to leave....if you know what I mean. Father Ryan is in a rebuilding era right now (and the insults as far as the boys being small and slow) are not true. These are great athletes just needing some time to "get it together" under the new leadership. Goodpasture had many a bad year in football....more so than Ryan, so, before you all go bashing a great tradition in this town brush up on your stats. The Irish WILL get it together, they are just too tough not to!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if I came off that way... that was not my intention. Kurt is still a GREAT FOOTBALL COACH! My comments were simply to suggest that this is a rebuilding year for the IRISH!

Hey....no offense taken with you. It was cbg's comments which ticked me off anyway. I know they aren't going to be that good this year, I just don't like the blatant "they're a bad team" stuff. These kids work hard and long and MANY FACTORS, as you well know, go into a football program. Yes, all the recruiting issues, public/private, etc..etc.. are involved, we all know that. Kurt and his wife Candy and their three boys are personal friends of mine, they're great people, I love'em, all I was saying is that I believe Kurt would still be at Ryan if he could, sure he was frustrated with some issues, but I believe it wasn't a decision of his to leave. He loves Father Ryan, is a graduate, and was proud to coach there. :)

[Edited by fatkat on 9-1-02 9:41A]

And there are plenty of good boys coming up in the ranks, Vinett is one heck of an athlete, a great q.b., the Morales kid and Mingus kid can run as fast as a freight trains and Jonathan Crawford, Worley, etc...all great athletes!

[Edited by fatkat on 9-1-02 9:47A]

Fatkat,

Sorry to upset you but that is my take on the situation. Remember I said that you had good coaching and the kids played hard. Ryan has won in the past with small and slow kids that were overacheivers but that is much more difficult to do today than in years past. I also stated the problems with playing in the highest level of D-2 and what could be done to correct the problems. Anyone that saw the game on Friday knows that less than 30 yards on offense is terrible and the score could have been worse if Goodpasture had given the ball to Bugs (which went to St. Joseph) more than 11 times. Hey, I more than anyone want Ryan to play well but they have to have several big strong athletes (which they don't have now) to win on the D-2 level. It is much more difficult to win today that it was 10, 15, or even 20 years ago. All of the schools have good coaching and athletes. It's the team that has the most good, strong, and big athletes that will win 95% of the time.

Father Ryan fans (including myself) need to all support the current staff and players and wait for the sophmore and freshmen class to mature into good football players. It is going to take alot of hard work in the weight room and practice field to acheive the results that all Ryan fans, players and staff expect.

[Edited by cbg on 9-1-02 12:16P]

Marcus Buggs is a perfect example of how Ryan doesn't recruit like they should. He went to St. Joseph all through grade school, but chose to go to Goodpasture. I went to St. Joseph all through grade school as well and couldnt wait to play football for Ryan. That is why i was puzzled to hear that Marcus was going to Goodpasture. Needless to say, he has turned into an awesome football player and will more than likely be playing somewhere big next year. I would have loved to see him in purple and white, but it just didnt happen that way. However, i dont think Coach Jemison will let anymore of the great athletes in the parochial schools get away. Give Ryan a few years and they will be back up near the top. Watch out for junior Josh Kemph, he is a great athlete as well.