Layoff between Regular Season Play and Post Season

DUKnowDaGame?

Is it smart to front load your schedule and not have a game for over two weeks.

For example (and they are not the only one) - look at Melrose: they have played all of their games for the regular season as of Feb 6th. District doesn??™t start until Feb 21st and if you have a bye you might not play until Feb 23rd.

I personally think this is a huge mistake.

Additionally: a lot of teams are barely playing starters in their final couple of games. Seems to me that you are taking a chance on allowing players to get out of a playing rhythm. Could a team or player lose their MOJO? I don't think it is necessary to run up the score on helpless teams but you could walk the ball up, not press and still work on offensive execution for at least 2 quarters??????

Do you think the lay off between games and lack of quality floor time could negatively impact these teams?????

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose beat East lastnight. I think it was a scheduling error where someone forgot to add that game.

Whew??¦.. I was wondering if that was accurate. I stand corrected??¦..

Feb 10th to Feb 20th or 21st isn??™t that bad. About 10 days. I guess your MOJO will still be in tack? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I know over two weeks was entirely to long....

Whew??¦.. I was wondering if that was accurate. I stand corrected??¦..

Feb 10th to Feb 20th or 21st isn??™t that bad. About 10 days. I guess your MOJO will still be in tack? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I know over two weeks was entirely to long....

Well, if you can loose you MOJO by not playing enough games. What do you consider to many? Central could play 5 games in 7 days. Overton on the 17th, city title on the 19th, and 3 district tourney games by 23rd. Thats assuming they make the championship game. Is that to many? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

[

Well, if you can loose you MOJO by not playing enough games. What do you consider to many? Central could play 5 games in 7 days. Overton on the 17th, city title on the 19th, and 3 district tourney games by 23rd. Thats assuming they make the championship game. Is that to many? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Wow??¦.. You know I hadn??™t thought about that! Dang! I hope Central has a lot of depth. Overton (twice) and then the district tournament with Fairley, East and Melrose waiting and resting. Very little recovery time.

Bartlett played in the Kentucky holiday tournament with 4 consecutive games in 4 days and I can tell you the fourth game was just win by any means necessary (which we did). However, the halftime score was like 18 to 17 and the girls gutted it out the second half. However, EVERYONE played the same number of games and EVERYONE was equally tired on day number four.

Central will have a quality opponent waiting for them during the district finals which will have played two LESS games then they have. Fatigue (physically and mentally) could be a factor down the stretch of that one. But if anybody can do it ??“ Central can!

Just thinking out loud:

Is the City Championship worth you being eliminated in the district tournament? Honestly: besides in-town bragging rights - who is going to remember the city championship? I don??™t mean that in a bad way. The truth is that each year Millington and Bartlett??™s focus is the sub-state game and home court advantage to set us up for the state tournament (not that we overlook the district and regional). The reality is that REGULAR season district championship means nothing, District tournament championship means nothing. You really want that Regional Championship so that you get to host the sub-state game at your gym for the right to go to the glass house in March. If I??™m not mistaken: conflicts in scheduling is why the county teams opted out of continuing the county championship.

Now I must admit: The city championship is off the hook (slang for ???really fun??? for those of you who may be ethnically challenged). Hope it doesn't cause Central to loose it's MOJO!

STILL YET: what time is the city championship? I definitely will be there with an extra box of popcorn! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Can't wait! hehehe /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It has been a few years but White Station girl's finished the regular season 26-0. They then played Melrose in the City Championship and lost, won first round of district then was beaten by Collierville in the second round, won the next night, then lost the first round of district. They had 2 seniors that went D1 and 2 Juniors that went D1. They were ranked first in the state going into the city championship. On the boys side it doesn't seem to effect much but the great boys programs don't normally change. White Station, Ridgeway, or Raliegh Egypt are going to be good year in year out, occasionally Fairley or Craigmont will slip in the game.. On the girls side, It helps us because it is always White Station that has to play an extra game. A few years back Craigmont and Kirby made it but they can't now.

So I think the city championship is a waste, and I believe that many coaches would rather not play it. It is a fan game only...

I'm betting all the other teams in 15AAA and 16AAA are happy that Overton and Central have to play twice in just a few days right before their district tournaments. Both teams like to run and having them run against each other twice seems like a good thing for teams like Melrose, who would love to knock Central off for their district championship, and Houston or White Station, who haven't been able to beat Overton during regular season play. It is a fun event for spectators however, and both girls' games--BTW v. Mitchell in AA and the Overton-Central matchup in AAA--should be good ones to watch.

Whether it will affect these teams' MOJO or fuel it remains to be seen...

One factor in Central??™s favor will be that the first round district game against Kingsbury won??™t require any level of play from their starters. I??™m sure they could play their 2nd team that game and win by +25 so that will give the starters some additional rest.

CENTRAL:

Tuesday Overton (Regular Season)

OFF DAY

Thursday Overton (City Championship)

OFF DAY

Friday Kingsbury (First round of districts ??“ but starters shouldn??™t have to play) ??“ Basically this is an OFF DAY

Saturday (Second round of districts ??“ probably Fairley)

OFF DAY

Monday (Finals ??“ probably Melrose)

OVERTON:

Now the road may not be so simple in regards to Overton: the extra 2 games could prove costly for them because everyone in that district is so evenly matched. Worn out legs could really hurt them!

Just a note:

Both teams that played in the City Championship game last year were eliminated in post season (White Station and Northside)??¦..

* Northside ??“ lost in district championship and lost the first round of regional

* White Station ??“ lost in district championship and lost first round of regional

Both teams played 4 games in 6 days prior to first round of regional.

Central will be playing 5 games in 7 days prior to first round of regional. Memphis East did the exact same thing 2 years ago and won their first 4 games before losing the 5th game which was "again" the district championship. However, East bounced back and went on to win the Regional and made it to the semi-finals of the state tournament.

Like I said: If anybody can do it ??“ Central can!

It may prove costly for Overton? You have a young team that could suffer two losses in 3 days that will send them into their district tournament on a down note against district teams that are equally matched.

hummmm!

Like i said: I will be on the front row with my popcorn /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

It has been a few years but White Station girl's finished the regular season 26-0. They then played Melrose in the City Championship and lost, won first round of district then was beaten by Collierville in the second round, won the next night, then lost the first round of district. They had 2 seniors that went D1 and 2 Juniors that went D1. They were ranked first in the state going into the city championship. On the boys side it doesn't seem to effect much but the great boys programs don't normally change. White Station, Ridgeway, or Raliegh Egypt are going to be good year in year out, occasionally Fairley or Craigmont will slip in the game.. On the girls side, It helps us because it is always White Station that has to play an extra game. A few years back Craigmont and Kirby made it but they can't now.

So I think the city championship is a waste, and I believe that many coaches would rather not play it. It is a fan game only...

Any games like those may not seem useful unless those promoting them MAKE them mean something along with the Newspapers, etc. Players, if events are promoted correctly, will always remember them.

Any games like those may not seem useful unless those promoting them MAKE them mean something along with the Newspapers, etc. Players, if events are promoted correctly, will always remember them.

You are correct. Players will have a great time playing these games and those will be life long memories! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You are correct. Players will have a great time playing these games and those will be life long memories! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Looks like the Cental/Overton game on the 17th maybe canceled. DU sounds like the coaches are reading your post! Stay tuned for updates. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We are also supposed to start our district tournament on the 19 and Overton girls are supposed to play the winner or the 8-9 game at Overton, and White Station is supposed to host games at thier gym. The 8-9 game is supposed to be Tuesday and that starts the tournament.

I believe that the City Athletic Director better check and see if these games scheduled on the 19th ar in fact allowable. You would think it was pre approved but??????????