Let the talk begin

raider rumble

The following is a note from Clarksville High's Jeff Jordan that he asked me to post for him

In 1999 the state duals were at Overton High School, we lost a close final to Bradley Central. The bigger loss was the possibility of losing the state duals because the TSSAA was losing money on them. I asked that they come to Clarksville. They stayed because the duals were profitable.

I have done two other things concerning the state duals. First I worked out a plan to make the duals possible for both public and private in the same gym. Then I worked it out so that we could expand using limited facilities. We found a way to add double elimination, region runner ups, small schools, and then expand the small school tournament.

My second contribution was to put the finest, most selfless people in charge of running the tournament. Contrary to popular belief, I have never requested or assigned a single match. Because of these fine people I have only coached.

This past weekend after the tournament, Heath Eslinger informed me that he and most others feel that hosting the tournament gives us an unfair advantage. I am in no way interested in unfair advantage. I have spoken to all those fine people who have donated so much for so long and told them that Clarksville High cannot host the tournament any more.

Thanks to those who have been appreciative, and I apologize to any who we may have offended. May the duals continue to get better throughout the years.

Sincerely.

Jeff Jordan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some possible venues we might see the duals moved to? Personally I liked the fairness of the old rotation but think it is better to have a set place to develop some consistency. What about MTSU? Central location.... and i'm sure there are some TENN wrestling supporters that wouldn't mind funding it...Opinions???

What are some possible venues we might see the duals moved to? Personally I liked the fairness of the old rotation but think it is better to have a set place to develop some consistency. What about MTSU? Central location.... and i'm sure there are some TENN wrestling supporters that wouldn't mind funding it...Opinions???

MTSU seems fair to all area's geographically speaking.

MTSU seems fair to all area's geographically speaking.

So, Murfreesboro should have Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Spring Fling, etc, etc??? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

That's spreading it around the state. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

So, Murfreesboro should have Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Spring Fling, etc, etc??? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

That's spreading it around the state. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Putting all the state championships in the same place is a bad thing? I'd have to disagree, I think it would be a good thing. Not to mention I wrestle at MTSU and I'm not looking forward to the drive to Chattanooga next week. I would enjoy driving a block to get there, lol.

I say move it around.... let some of the regions get together a proposal (R1/2 somewhere in Knox/JC), R3/4 in Chatt, R5/6/7 in Nash/Clarks/Murf/Middle Tenn, R8 in Memphis, rotate it every 4 years.... if a region doesn't want/can't do it then they lose their spot until it rolls back around. I am talking about the new region alignment for next year btw.

........................................This past weekend after the tournament, Heath Eslinger informed me that he and most others feel that hosting the tournament gives us an unfair advantage. I am in no way interested in unfair advantage. I have spoken to all those fine people who have donated so much for so long and told them that Clarksville High cannot host the tournament any more.

Thanks to those who have been appreciative, and I apologize to any who we may have offended. May the duals continue to get better throughout the years.

Sincerely.

Jeff Jordan........................

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.

Quaint Chinese proverb---author unknown

Ambition is a Dead Sea fruit

and the greatest peril to the soul is that

one is likely to get precisely what he is seeking.

Edward Dahlberg

Remember that not getting what you want

is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

The Dalai Lama

If a man could have half his wishes,

he would double his troubles.

Benjamin Franklin

Protect me from

what I want.

Storm Jameson

When the gods

wish to punish us

they answer our prayers.

George Bernard Shaw

More tears are shed over answered prayers

than unanswered ones.

Mother Teresa

Being frustrated is disagreeable,

but the real disasters in life begin

when you get what you want.

Irving Kristol

Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.

Quaint Chinese proverb---author unknown

Ambition is a Dead Sea fruit

and the greatest peril to the soul is that

one is likely to get precisely what he is seeking.

Edward Dahlberg

Remember that not getting what you want

is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

The Dalai Lama

If a man could have half his wishes,

he would double his troubles.

Benjamin Franklin

Protect me from

what I want.

Storm Jameson

When the gods

wish to punish us

they answer our prayers.

George Bernard Shaw

More tears are shed over answered prayers

than unanswered ones.

Mother Teresa

Being frustrated is disagreeable,

but the real disasters in life begin

when you get what you want.

Irving Kristol

Pick one:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Barking dogs seldom bite

Death is a remedy for all ills

Easy come, easy go

United we stand, divided we fall

Variety is the spice of life

Waste not, want not

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

Zeal without prudence is frenzy

Silly arguement. If the state duals shouldn't be in Clarksville because it give them an unfair advantage, then why should state individuals be in Chattanooga. That too should be in a neutral site as well.

It is not the city that is the issue,,,,,,,it is that it is at the school, run by the school. NO UTC wrestlers will be participating in the state meet this year for medals.

I don't really care where the State Duals are held. But it doesn't change the fact that you're not being logical. UTC IS a neutral site. I don't think anyone would complain about it being at MTSU or another college or public venue. I think the complaint is that it is in a competing high school's GYM, thus the term HOME field advantage applies.

It is not the city that is the issue,,,,,,,it is that it is at the school, run by the school. NO UTC wrestlers will be participating in the state meet this year for medals.

Seriously though, does it really make that big of a difference? If it is about being comfortable in your surroundings, then my point of moving the individual meet is still valid. How many times a year do Chattanooga kids go to open mats at UTC and roll around. If they do that as frequently as once a month, I would say that based upon what I think is your arguement, that it is an unfair advantage th the kids in Chattanooga to have the individual tourney at UTC.

Personally, I think it is silly. Clarksville does a great job. They obviously have a very ethical coach, based upon his earlier post, and I have yet to hear anyone complain that it is poorly run.