Region 7 Finals

otisallanglazebrook

Okay let me start by saying that the officiating today at the region 7 tournament was down right horrible! MLK had 4 top notch wrestlers in the finals, and 3 of those 4 wrestled kids from east literature. Funny enough as that is, none other than Shawn Garrett Sr. was officiating. Now I don't want to try and make excuses, however, when an official has a son who used to wrestle for East Literature; they should not be allowed to officiate matches with wrestlers from East Literature. I think most people who attended the finals matches today would probably say they sensed some bias too. Obviously East Literature has something going in thier favor because it is very abnormal for a team who used to be horrible at wrestling, aka East Literature, to rise up and have state contenders out of nowhere. I just have one more thing to add to this topic. This question is directed strictly for coach Wittaker at East Literature, let me ask you coach, can you honestly live a guilt free life knowing what happened today at the region 7 finals?

P.S. ###### Jim Simpson and Shawn Garrett Sr.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasnt at the region, but I can tell you what I know.

I have officiated with Shawn multiple times. He is not a slacker on the mat, and works hard at his officiating. Shawn has several years of wrestling and officiating in his make up. I have also been in the chair while he officiated my wrestlers. I have never taken him to the table.

Coach Whit has endured.

He began there with a handful (maybe 5) kids several years ago. And worked at it. Pulled knowledge from some of the best coaches and worked at it.

He's co opted with other programs that folded, and worked at it.

A young man (might be an east lit alumni) helped him by beginning a kids program.

Coach(?) from either Maplewood or Stratford(?) came on board into his room.

And they worked at it.

At the state duals, one of his kids made a derogatory remark toward Whit's assistant coach (all within the same team). Whit looked at the official and forfeited that match because of what his kid said to his assistance coach. 9 point swing. Coach Whit later kicked the kid from the team. I have never seen a coach administer Flagrant misconduct on his own kid before in this manner, but his kids will be respectful or they will not remain on the team.

Coach Whit has impacted kids in a very positive way during the life of the program at East Lit. When he only had two kids on the entire team, they didnt lack any instruction or time. He gave.

I dont know you, but I feel my money's safe to say on a scale of balance against this coach and his program, you are found lacking.

I think you would do well to offer some type of apology for slandering this program and the men that run it and what they have accomplished when lesser men could not have.

So lets see where do I start on this. First Shaw Garrett is a fine official. Yes his son wrestled for East Lit but that has nothing to do with his officiating. He calls it straight. So do not go down that road. Shawn is one of our better officials. I get sick and tired of people wanting to bash the official because somthing did not go the way they wanted it to. Officials are human too and do make mistakes from time to time. The difference of a good official and a bad official is that good ones learn from their mistakes and admit to them. Shaw will admit if he messes up and will correct those problems. I suggest if you want to complain about officials then take your fifty dollars and go to Donelson to the TSSAA head quarters and regester. We could always use someone who does't make mistakes. If the "bleacher officials" in this area would just regester then I am sure we would have some of the greatest officials of all time on the mat. Because we all know that the best view of anything including pins are seen from the bleachers. The bleacher official can call a stall at a seconds notice can see that illeagle hold while they are even at the concession stands. The bleacher official reads the rule book inside and out and can never make a mistake. We all know how easy it is to make these calls from there.

Now then as for coach Whiticker. You will not find a more class act than that. Did you know that this year he has wrestled his JV several time against teams that he knew were young. He even almost lost a match because of this. You want to know why because he has been their and he wants to help the sport of wrestling. He does not take any crap from his kids. He will kick them off the team not matter who they are. He has given 100% all these years and now that he is getting some success you want to open your mouth. I can remeber him have just three kids and he took them every where. To tournament duals tri meets and even quads. He has had plenty of ups and downs through out his coaching career. So I am pretty sure he sleeps well at night...

So lets see where do I start on this. First Shaw Garrett is a fine official. Yes his son wrestled for East Lit but that has nothing to do with his officiating. He calls it straight. So do not go down that road. Shawn is one of our better officials. I get sick and tired of people wanting to bash the official because somthing did not go the way they wanted it to. Officials are human too and do make mistakes from time to time. The difference of a good official and a bad official is that good ones learn from their mistakes and admit to them. Shaw will admit if he messes up and will correct those problems. I suggest if you want to complain about officials then take your fifty dollars and go to Donelson to the TSSAA head quarters and regester. We could always use someone who does't make mistakes. If the "bleacher officials" in this area would just regester then I am sure we would have some of the greatest officials of all time on the mat. Because we all know that the best view of anything including pins are seen from the bleachers. The bleacher official can call a stall at a seconds notice can see that illeagle hold while they are even at the concession stands. The bleacher official reads the rule book inside and out and can never make a mistake. We all know how easy it is to make these calls from there.

Now then as for coach Whiticker. You will not find a more class act than that. Did you know that this year he has wrestled his JV several time against teams that he knew were young. He even almost lost a match because of this. You want to know why because he has been their and he wants to help the sport of wrestling. He does not take any crap from his kids. He will kick them off the team not matter who they are. He has given 100% all these years and now that he is getting some success you want to open your mouth. I can remeber him have just three kids and he took them every where. To tournament duals tri meets and even quads. He has had plenty of ups and downs through out his coaching career. So I am pretty sure he sleeps well at night...

great post and thanks for speaking up for coach whit

Claiming that there was some biased officiating is one thing, but to suggest that East Lit has gotten to where they are because of crooked refs is an extremely ignorant comment to make. Coach Wittaker has put together a great coaching staff and has managed to get alot of kids out on the team, all of whom have worked their butts off to get where they are now, turning a program around that 5 years ago had maybe 6 guys on the team, to now being a powerhouse in Middle TN. The entire team is composed of athletes who wrestle hard and give their all, and at the end of the day, they do it with class. It's already been stated that Coach Wittaker kicked a kid off the team for cussing one of the asst coaches. And the kid happened to be one of their better wrestlers.

These state contenders didnt rise up out of nowhere. They've put in the hard work it takes to be successful, not relying on having a referee in their back pocket, which I believe is another ignorant thing to say.

Coach Wittaker was also named Region 7 coach of the year. That's an honor you can't achieve by having a "biased ref", but is a sign of the respect that the rest of the region has for him and the hard work he puts into his program.

Claiming that there was some biased officiating is one thing, but to suggest that East Lit has gotten to where they are because of crooked refs is an extremely ignorant comment to make. Coach Wittaker has put together a great coaching staff and has managed to get alot of kids out on the team, all of whom have worked their butts off to get where they are now, turning a program around that 5 years ago had maybe 6 guys on the team, to now being a powerhouse in Middle TN. The entire team is composed of athletes who wrestle hard and give their all, and at the end of the day, they do it with class. It's already been stated that Coach Wittaker kicked a kid off the team for cussing one of the asst coaches. And the kid happened to be one of their better wrestlers.

These state contenders didnt rise up out of nowhere. They've put in the hard work it takes to be successful, not relying on having a referee in their back pocket, which I believe is another ignorant thing to say.

Coach Wittaker was also named Region 7 coach of the year. That's an honor you can't achieve by having a "biased ref", but is a sign of the respect that the rest of the region has for him and the hard work he puts into his program.

Good post. I suggest anyone that cuts an official needs to go out and try it themselves for a year or two; and after that, see how your perpsective changes. It did for me in the 90's.

Personally, I think someone will always see fallacy in others judgements. The job of the ref is not to be perfect, but to try and call the match as fairly as he can. No ref is perfect, and I've never been to a tournament where someone has not complained about the officiating. Everybody has their own opinion on every ref. I didn't think the officiating was the best I've ever seen, but nothing to complain about. I only saw one finals match where I thought a stalling call (or two) may have been needed. Aside from that... eh

I was more interested in the matches anyway.

Otis, what's your problem? Are you one of those parents that want everyone else to pay for wrestling matches but whine like a little pig when you're asked to anti up? Or, are you one of the losers in the world that make excuses and cry "we got cheated"?

Whatever the case you are way out of bounds. Last time I checked this was the region 7 wrestling tournament not the East Lit Invitational. Oh, it might seem like it since your kid and his teammates spend so much time on their backs at the hands of the East Lit wrestlers, but hey, you should be used to it by now. The officials are not assigned by East Lit. They are randomly selected the arbiter which is an assigning program adopted by the state. I know it would be easier for someone with that loser's mentality to believe otherwise, but hey, it is what it is.

When Coach Whittaker (please learn to spell when you want to rip someone) started the program, he did so at the request of one athlete, Antonio Boyd. Through his hard work, Coach Whittaker has excelled at coaching wrestling, taking East Lit from not having a program to being one of the most respected programs in the state.

The East Lit kids are offered one thing. The opportunity to be successful by working hard. You might not be familiar with this phrase. You get out, what you put in.

I recommend to you an extra diet of hard work but leave the whine alone. You have officially embarrassed yourself.

Okay let me start by saying that the officiating today at the region 7 tournament was down right horrible! MLK had 4 top notch wrestlers in the finals, and 3 of those 4 wrestled kids from east literature. Funny enough as that is, none other than Shawn Garrett Sr. was officiating. Now I don't want to try and make excuses, however, when an official has a son who used to wrestle for East Literature; they should not be allowed to officiate matches with wrestlers from East Literature. I think most people who attended the finals matches today would probably say they sensed some bias too. Obviously East Literature has something going in thier favor because it is very abnormal for a team who used to be horrible at wrestling, aka East Literature, to rise up and have state contenders out of nowhere. I just have one more thing to add to this topic. This question is directed strictly for coach Wittaker at East Literature, let me ask you coach, can you honestly live a guilt free life knowing what happened today at the region 7 finals?

P.S. ###### Jim Simpson and Shawn Garrett Sr.

By far "The Dumpiest post I have ever seen"

Obviously East Literature has something going in thier favor because it is very abnormal for a team who used to be horrible at wrestling, aka East Literature, to rise up and have state contenders out of nowhere. I just have one more thing to add to this topic.

Where have you been under a rock. The coach has nothing to be GUILYT about. He deserves a coaching award for bringing a program that was never great into one of the top programs in metro. They one the Hendersonville Tourney last year and came in 2nd the prior. His team has been to the State duals making noise over the last couple of years.

otisallanglazebrook-Son you are waste of human flesh!

Okay here we go again.... The point of my first message was to explain my reasoning behind me thinking that there was bias today in the finals. If anyone actually was at the finals and saw the 145 lb match, kyle chandler ( MLK) vs. cameron adafe (east literature), they would understand where I'm coming from whether they admit it or not. Secondly I'd like to address the irrelevance of ignorant faggots getting on here and replying to my comments when they weren't even there!!! If you weren't there then you could comment on this issue at hand, but since you weren't please stop replying. Lastly I want to say that no MLK wrestler went to their back against East Literature. In fact if you idiots were at the finals today then you would see how pethetic it is that East Literature's wrestlers needed help from the officials when wrestling MLK kids because the MLK wrestlers are very talented and highly skilled individuals.