St. Xavier 21 - Brentwood Acad 20

CoachT

I am on BA's football team and coach flatt is such a better coach than coach moore it is unexplainable and brentwood academy doesnt make excuses. St. Xavier out played us but if we played again i wouldnt bet agaisnt BA and why do people think we recruit. name some players on our team that were recruited.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by BABOB:

I am on BA's football team and coach flatt is such a better coach than coach moore it is unexplainable and brentwood academy doesnt make excuses. St. Xavier out played us but if we played again i wouldnt bet agaisnt BA and why do people think we recruit. name some players on our team that were recruited.

I think most people would agree that it depends on what you mean by "recruit". Did Coach Moore (who is a fine man and a good coach as well, BABOB) go sit in some parent's living room and eat their apple pie while recruitng their son? Clearly not. Will the coaching staff speak (at the appropriate time) to prospective students who have an interest in attending the school? Most certainly. Do some athletes get admitted who would not be admitted if they did not have athletic skills? Of course.

What many people do not know, or choose to ignore, is that BA, as well as other DII schools have many special admits, based on the philosophy and mission of the school, as well as on special needs and talents. It is also a fact that the vast majority of the players on the football team, even the starters, live within 5-7 miles of the campus, with their families, and pay full tuition.

So don't get your back up, BABOB. Be confident and grateful in the knowledge that you go to a great school, are privileged to play on a fine football team, and get the benefit of interacting with a fine person and great coach in Carlton Flatt.

Posted by tbp0137:

And I'd say who's been teaching you statistics.

Your response got me thinking about the real percentage, so I got out the roster and my mapping program, as well as the student directory. (Hey, it's Labor Day and I'm not working today.)

Here are the exact numbers. Of the 24 starting slots (including PK and P) on BA's team, 13 go to Brentwood residents, 5 to Franklin residents, 1 to a Nolensville resident, and 5 to Davidson County. So that's 79.2% that are Williamson County residents. Of the Davidson County starting slots, which in actuality are 4 kids, one lives 7 miles from school, 1 lives 5 miles from school, one lives 4 miles from school, and one lives 11 miles from school. So that's 1 out of 24 that lives more than 7 miles away.

So, I guess you're right, tpb0137, it's actually 95.8% who live as close as I thought. Sorry...my bad! :) Hope I helped clear up any misconceptions.

Oh, and by the way, a very fine professor in Business School taught me statistics.

BA, hats off to a great effort. I was unable to attend the game because I chose to go on a church retreat, but from what I hear, it was some matchup. I'll tell you what: no matter how badly the loss hurts (John Vaughn DOES NOT miss PAT's, and the block was unfortunate), winning and losing was not as important in this game as it is in a region/state matchup. In this game, respect was the prize, and despite losing by one point, you earned that respect from a team who plays in one of the toughest leagues in all of prep football. So, no consolations here. Only congratulations. Good fight, BA. Now go get ready for Briarcrest. The "superfan" will be at that game.

Posted by wildcatfan:

Carlton Flatt is like OJ Simpson- You see, OJ and Carlton are both guilty as charged, except they both got off scott free. BA ought to be able to play with the best teams inthe country since they pull from a huge "recruiting area". Deny it, but I am a Division II man, and I have seen the fall out of their recruiting program myself. Just walk through the Bordeaux area in North Nashville and count the number of BA athletics tee shirts. You think these just fell from the sky? Think that the folks in North Nashville just like rooting for BA? I don't think so. Their kids are presented with a chance to go play football at BA.

I guess OJ and Carlton are alike in another aspect, since Carlton stabbed Tom Moore in the back. Let's ask Tom what he thinks about Carlton. I bet if he's honest, he'll tell you what kind of program it was before he took over. Tom was a great guy and in no way deserved to be forced out. I guess ole Carlton got a little jealous of Tom's success. I thought BA was making an effort to change when Flatt stepped down, but now I know that BA is just back to its old tricks again. Shame on Carlton Flatt for the Tom Moore "Job Scandal" and shame on BA parents, supporters and administrators for letting such a shameful act occur.

[Edited by wildcatfan on 9-2-02 11:30P]

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

--John Adams

See my previous post, Wildcatfan. And please pass along my best wishes to all your homies in Bordeaux, which I'm sure you see all the time.