Who is/was better: John Jenkins OR Corey Brewer?

5-Sport Dad

How blessed are we in Sumner County to have had the opportunity to watch both of these young men play baskeball? Very! We shouldn't leave out that both players are great people. Along with unbelieveable talent, they are both easy to cheer for and respect because they are both top-notch off the court as well. Congrats to their parents for the fine job they did raising them and driving home the work ethic they both have.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALOT OF PEOPLE CONSIDER LARRY BIRD THE BEST SHOOTER OR ONE OF THE BEST SHOOTERS OF ALL TIME. AND EVERY GYM YOU WALK IN TOO HAVE GREAT SHOOTERS. BIRD , DEL CURRY, CHRIS JACKSON, REGGIE MILLER , ETC. JENKINS CAN SHOOT WITH ALL OF THEM.

JENKINS HAS A VERY QUICK RELEASE AND KNOWS HOW TO SHOOT THE STEP BACK JUMPER TO CREATE SPACE TO GET HIS SHOT OFF. HIS DEFENSE IS GOOD BUT NOT GREAT, BUT HE IS A GOOD ENOUGH ATHLETE TO BECOME A GREAT DEFENDER ONE DAY WITHOUT A DOUBT. HE IS ALSO VERY COMPETIVE AND HAS A GREAT WORK ETHIC WHICH IS WELL DOCUMENTED. HE WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM ADJUSTING TO THE COLLEGE GAME. LAST SUMMER AT ONE OF THE CAMPS HE PLAYED WITH THE BEST 100 PLAYERS IN THE NATION AND LED EVERYONE IN SCORING FOR THE WEEK WITH 17 PER GAME. THE NEXT CLOSEST PLAYER AVERAGED 15 PER GAME.

MOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY UNDERSTAND HOW GOOD HE IS. HOPEFULLY THEY WILL MAKE THE STATE TOURNEY THIS YEAR SO MORE PEOPLE AROUND THE STATE CAN WATCH HIM PLAY. THE DISTRICT IS WEAK THIS YEAR THAT HE PLAYS IN BUT THE REGION IS VERY STRONG. LIVINGSTON ACADEMY, UPPERMAN , AND WHITE HOUSE SHOULD BE STATIONS CAMPS STRONGEST COMPETITION IN THE REGION TOURNAMENT .

WHO IS/WAS BETTER? JENKINS OR BREWER. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY JENKINS BY A NOSE. I WATCHED COREY PLAY SEVREAL TIMES IN HIGH SCHOOL AND HAVE WATCHED JENKINS FOR YEARS. COREY WAS OBVIOUSLY THE BETTER DEFENSIVE PLAYER AND JENKINS HAS MORE OFFENSIVE SKILLS.

I SEE JENKINS BEING AN ALL AMERICAN BEFORE HE LEAVES VANDERBILT. FOR THE DOUBTERS OUT THERE WATCH THE MCDONALDS ALL AMERICAN GAME THIS YEAR IF HE DOES MAKE THE TEAM AND I THINK YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HYPE IS ALL ABOUT.

Thanks...I appreciate your answer /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

LETS NOT FORGET JUSTIN BLAKE ON THAT LIST /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

HOWS HE DOING THIS YEAR? IS HE GETTING ANY TIME?

Red-shirted this year....look for him on the court next season!! We have a couple of new phenoms...freshman John Hudson ranked #8 for 2012 and Fred Yarbrough ranked #13...2012 also. Excited to see how they develop as players over the next 3 years /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

lol if we're talkin about corey brewer from florida then well... this kid has to pretty good to top him... dude was a lock down defender in college an now is in the nba somewhere not sure where though... if this kid is THAT dang good then how did he end up at vandy instead of a north carolina or uconn or memphis?

btw... lol if u want the name of a shooter... there was this guy that played with corey brewer at florida... believe his name was lee humphrey... his senior year at florida he shot 70% from behind the arc! now try and wrap your mind around that one

Who is better? I'll go with John. Corey was good but not as good as John. John single handedly takes games over. Corey wasn't that prolific as a scorer. Corey has gotten himself to the NBA because of his great defense and athelticism. I see everyone questioning John's defense. For those of you who went to the Gallatin game this past Monday you saw him actually get in a stance and guard someone. Every now and then he got matched up with the Hunter kid and shut him down. The only problem was he didn't guard him the whole game. I am really waiting to see how good he is defensively until he gets to Vandy. Because the talent just isn't there in his district for him to really have to lock someone down. When he gets to Vandy against the big competition, thats when you'll see where his all around game is. I wish both the best of luck and hope John can find a way to get his team to Murfreesboro to treat everyone else in the state to the show he puts on.

Highschool= Jenkins

College= Yet to be determined.

Without a doubt, Jenkins is the better high school player. We always had a tougher time stopping John Ferguson than Corey. Split with them that year simply because we could not defend the post well. Brewer was more about potential at that time. Obviously, he met his potential. Hopefully, John will continue to improve as well. Vandy got a great signee to go with the excellent freshman class they have now.

lol if we're talkin about corey brewer from florida then well... this kid has to pretty good to top him... dude was a lock down defender in college an now is in the nba somewhere not sure where though... if this kid is THAT dang good then how did he end up at vandy instead of a north carolina or uconn or memphis?

btw... lol if u want the name of a shooter... there was this guy that played with corey brewer at florida... believe his name was lee humphrey... his senior year at florida he shot 70% from behind the arc! now try and wrap your mind around that one

I think it is well documented that he has always wanted to play at Vandy. I'm not sure any of the other schools that recruited him stood much of a chance. Vanderbilt fan, Vanderbilt education, play close to home in the SEC, looks like a no-brainer to me.

If we buy into your reasoning, I guess Corey Brewer was not any good since he went to Florida, but then again he's making pretty decent money playing in the NBA.

I guess I would have to consider Corey Brewer the better player. I guess people forget how good Brewer was in highschool, AAU, and college. Brewer was a member of the Tennessee Travelers AAU program. 2002 Nike Camp invitee coming out the Nike Hoop Jamboree where he ranked as one of the Top 20 players in camp. Did well at the 2002 Nike All-American Camp. Brewer, a Class 2A Mr Basketball, a Gatorade TN player of the year,a consensu top 30 player by every major service, and a McDonalds All American who also played in the Jordan Brand All American game as one of the elite high school basketball players in the country, averaged 29.4 points and 12.8 rebounds a game his final season at Potland. He also made it to the State Semi finals as a Junior (I think). Brewer earned Freshman All SEC honors. As a Sophmore earned second team All SEC honors, SEC All Tournement team, and won a NCAA national championship. As a junior Earned first-team All-SEC honors, SEC co Defensiver player of the year, SEC All Tournement team, Named the Most Outstanding Player at the 2007 Final Four, and another NCAA national championship in the books.

Brewer was a lottery pick drafted # 7 overall in the NBA draaft by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Brewer has played in 94 NBA games over the course of a season and a half. And has been the starter in 43 games. Brewer has averaged 22 minutes a game over that span going up against the best players in the world and he is getting better.This is only his second season and he is currenty out for the season with a torn ACL. A torn ACL is nothing these days. He will come back from rehab even stronger.

Brewer has a very impressive resume to be 23 years old. Kid has elevated his game at each level and has shown he can bring it when playing againt the big boys. Brewer will have a very long NBA career....that is an absolute.

Jenkins could very well eclispe Brewers MANY accomplishments as a basketball player. If he does he will have to have an incredible work ethic. It remains to be seen because he hasen't even played a college game yet. I see Jenkins eventually being All SEC. Beyond that no one really knows. It's all opinions. Some have already crowned Jenkins a future NBA player......I think that's a bit premature. The NBA is a whole different ball game.

I say just let Jenkins be Jenkins because it's really unfair (in my opinion) to comapre him to Corey Brewer. Brewer has a track record to go by. So far Jenkins does not. Let's just see how it all plays out. Good luck to John Jenkins, a great player without a doubt.

I guess I would have to consider Corey Brewer the better player. I guess people forget how good Brewer was in highschool, AAU, and college. Brewer was a member of the Tennessee Travelers AAU program. 2002 Nike Camp invitee coming out the Nike Hoop Jamboree where he ranked as one of the Top 20 players in camp. Did well at the 2002 Nike All-American Camp. Brewer, a Class 2A Mr Basketball, a Gatorade TN player of the year,a consensu top 30 player by every major service, and a McDonalds All American who also played in the Jordan Brand All American game as one of the elite high school basketball players in the country, averaged 29.4 points and 12.8 rebounds a game his final season at Potland. He also made it to the State Semi finals as a Junior (I think). Brewer earned Freshman All SEC honors. As a Sophmore earned second team All SEC honors, SEC All Tournement team, and won a NCAA national championship. As a junior Earned first-team All-SEC honors, SEC co Defensiver player of the year, SEC All Tournement team, Named the Most Outstanding Player at the 2007 Final Four, and another NCAA national championship in the books.

Brewer was a lottery pick drafted # 7 overall in the NBA draaft by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Brewer has played in 94 NBA games over the course of a season and a half. And has been the starter in 43 games. Brewer has averaged 22 minutes a game over that span going up against the best players in the world and he is getting better.This is only his second season and he is currenty out for the season with a torn ACL. A torn ACL is nothing these days. He will come back from rehab even stronger.

Brewer has a very impressive resume to be 23 years old. Kid has elevated his game at each level and has shown he can bring it when playing againt the big boys. Brewer will have a very long NBA career....that is an absolute.

Jenkins could very well eclispe Brewers MANY accomplishments as a basketball player. If he does he will have to have an incredible work ethic. It remains to be seen because he hasen't even played a college game yet. I see Jenkins eventually being All SEC. Beyond that no one really knows. It's all opinions. Some have already crowned Jenkins a future NBA player......I think that's a bit premature. The NBA is a whole different ball game.

I say just let Jenkins be Jenkins because it's really unfair (in my opinion) to comapre him to Corey Brewer. Brewer has a track record to go by. So far Jenkins does not. Let's just see how it all plays out. Good luck to John Jenkins, a great player without a doubt.

Have you seen Jenkins play in person???

Have you seen Jenkins play in person???

I have not. But I would say I have followed Jenkins career as much as anybody in West TN. I understand you have Jenkins a total of one time. I'm high on Jenkins anyway. Brewers track record speaks for itself. It's a no brainer to me. Brewer has accomplished ALOT on the big stage. It's just not a fair comparison.

You think Jenkins will end up better than Terrico White ? Just curious. That would be the question I would ask. Jenkins will never be the athlete of a White ...but, who will be the better player in the end. That would be a good debate.