White/Ofori Match

hawksfan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My perception may have been a bit skewed, as to what was going on behind me, since my focus was elsewhere--the Cleveland kid "fouled out" (disqualified for 4 penalties, no team point, keeps his 2nd place). I'm told at least one of the penalties was locked hands. Regardless of whether the calls were right or wrong, the Cleveland fans joined Red Bank's winner from earlier in moving us toward a classless society (in the wrong sense of the word).

Just to clarify, the wrestler from Cleveland did not (at least in my view) incite the fans--he was slow to get up (not Korean-boxer slow), as I imagine a lot of folks would be after that kind of emotional blow, but he wasn't guilty of anything unsportsmanlike that I could see.

My perception may have been a bit skewed, as to what was going on behind me, since my focus was elsewhere--the Cleveland kid "fouled out" (disqualified for 4 penalties, no team point, keeps his 2nd place). I'm told at least one of the penalties was locked hands. Regardless of whether the calls were right or wrong, the Cleveland fans joined Red Bank's winner from earlier in moving us toward a classless society (in the wrong sense of the word).

Just to clarify, the wrestler from Cleveland did not (at least in my view) incite the fans--he was slow to get up (not Korean-boxer slow), as I imagine a lot of folks would be after that kind of emotional blow, but he wasn't guilty of anything unsportsmanlike that I could see.

Thanks for the info, any idea of the score at the time of the DQ?

Star Raider...heard it was 4 calls about grabbing headgear. Dont know just passing what I was told. Other wrestler didnt score. Ofori had one for escap it was 2-1 in second(on penaltys ) and 2 more grabbing headgear. Some WV guys told me they didnt agree but didnt see it personally but heard it was soundly booed and Coaches went off on calls made. Maybe someone that was there can be more precise.

Star Raider...heard it was 4 calls about grabbing headgear. Dont know just passing what I was told. Other wrestler didnt score. Ofori had one for escap it was 2-1 in second(on penaltys ) and 2 more grabbing headgear. Some WV guys told me they didnt agree but didnt see it personally but heard it was soundly booed and Coaches went off on calls made. Maybe someone that was there can be more precise.

It was all on calls for grabbing headgear. I thought maybe 2 could have been called. The 2 point call and then the DQ were both called very quick. Ofori couldn't put his hand up near White's head without a call being made. I feel bad for BOTH guys. One didn't get his chance and the win will always be a little tainted.

there is no warning for grabbing the headgear.............. it is technical violation (i think that is correct) that is penalized upon application, if the wrestler "wraps" his fingers in the headgear in an attempt to control, hold, or move the head, by the ear-cover or the straps that would constitute the penalty. it is hard to concieve that he would do it 4 times, but the official calling the match is a perfectionist, so i am certain he saw it...........

What did the Red Bank kid do?

Max Ofori and Nick White are both very nice young men. The match was very close and was a very active match.

I am not sure of the 4 calls of grabbing the hear gear. I did see the first one and it was not used to move White; it was a real quick grab as Ofori's hand slid off White's Head. Referee granted one point to White

Both White and Ofori were banging heads. Watching them wrestle matches this year against each other and against other wrestlers, this is a way they wrestle.

The other three calls were quick and I did not see any grabbing of the headgear.

The referee granted 2 more points for grabbing headgear and then DQ on the next one.

The Cleveland coaches protested the call. Eslinger had protested the first call also.

There was not a riot or even a near riot. The call was booed by many fans. Nick White was unhappy that the match had been stopped and he and Max discussed it. Nick showed a ton of class and Max never argued the call but was upset with it.

Nothing about this match should take any way from Nick White and Max Ofori.

I thought the 3 extra headgears calls were questionable. Just one man's opinion.

The rules are the rules are the rules. A rule was broken and a wrestler was penalized for breaking the rules that being said.

Max ofori??™s wrestling style involves a lot of hand movement he moves the head a lot slaps the arms; he is a very quick guy when he wrestles.

When ofori was head tapping to the back of nick whites head (the same head taps I am sure he has used all year) his hands where getting into the straps of his head gear. The official calling the match, as slapthemat said is a perfectionist. This particular ref calls the calls by the book 100% of the time. He is a model of consistence and as I heard a Baylor fan yelling at another ref this weekend ???CONSISTANCY! CONSISTANCY! CONSISTANCY!??? Consistency is the best quality in a great ref.

Once the ref called the first tech violation for grasping of the head gear he was going to call it any time it happened again. If a wrestler commits a technical violation whatever it may be grasping of the head gear, locked hands or pulling the singlet the ref is going to look extra hard for the same thing. This reminds me of the Redbank incident last year, when a red bank wrestler was DQed for grasping the singlet, Coach Emily was infuriated with the call but it was a consistent call and the right call.

I hear many a fan say ???Let the boys wrestle!??? But again the rules are the rules are the rules.

I was a little confused on the third T.V. as the official gave the locked hands signal. I think he gave the wrong signal at this point I am not sure. Just before that the official had given locked hands call against nick white so maybe he just got caught up and gave the wrong signal I??™m not sure.

Congratulations to nick white, you absolutely earned your state championship. Any unfortunate events that played a part in the 215 bracket, will never take away from your hard work and dedication.

And to max ofori it was regrettable your season had to end that way but be proud of the opportunity you where blessed with.