MBA Baylor Consolation Match: What Happened?

gonavy2

Thanks for the inside info there. I wasn't even able to figure out what happened until I saw the scoresheet (needed to know since I was tracking team scores), and the referee's "elbowing" gesture is one that could be used for a flagrant-misconduct call (if the elbow had been thrown deliberately--which, it seems, was not the case), so when you combine that with a scoreboard that was not properly indicating that the match was in a golden-point period, you have a recipe for mass confusion.

(And if the clocks weren't capable of indicating a period higher than 3, then the issue needs to be raised with Fair-Play, the manufacturer.)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the inside info there. I wasn't even able to figure out what happened until I saw the scoresheet (needed to know since I was tracking team scores), and the referee's "elbowing" gesture is one that could be used for a flagrant-misconduct call (if the elbow had been thrown deliberately--which, it seems, was not the case), so when you combine that with a scoreboard that was not properly indicating that the match was in a golden-point period, you have a recipe for mass confusion.

(And if the clocks weren't capable of indicating a period higher than 3, then the issue needs to be raised with Fair-Play, the manufacturer.)

Not to make any excuses for Tyler, I am one of his biggest critics, but the clock was another issue in the match. The girls running the clock on that mat messed up two matches in a row. In the 215 match before it the girls had messed up the score so bad that it took about 3 minutes for the referee's to sort it out with them. In the start of the HWT 2nd period the girls didn't start the clock and hence missed a technical violation for holding the singlet on Browner because the clock never started, not saying that would have made Tyler win but would have kept the match out of overtime more than likely. The clocks were showing a 4 for the period for the OT's on all other mats as well. I doubt that one of the eight clocks wouldn't show a 4 when all others would.

This thread has gone far enough, and I think I should clear up all the confusion that everyone has.... especially govolscb21. First of all I will out myself. I am Tyler Watson's older brother, and I watched the match and the video of the match at least four times. After the match Tyler and I drove home together and he gave me a recap of what happened to end the match.

Throughout the whole match there was little offense tried by either wrestler. In the overtime period Tyler tried a throw by and attempted a snatch single before both wrestlers went off the mat. Tyler was then called for a very questionable stalling warning since Browner had not once tried to shoot or anything for that matter while in neutral position. At the restart Tyler tried again to do a throw by and then tried again when his arm slid inside of Browner's and Tyler's elbow caught Browner on the cheek in a very slow and glancing blow.

govolscb21, there was NEVER a single punch thrown and there definitely were not two punches thrown. So do not go around telling people that Tyler was throwing punches during a match. You definitely would have known if he was because Browner, even as big as he is, would have hit the mat if Tyler had punched him. Until you have the entire story do not go and try to put down the name of a high school kid and make him look like a dirty wrestler when that is definitely not the case. Tyler is a great kid and had a great career on the Baylor wrestling team and never did anything to deserve you trying to trash his name.

Reed Watson

So let me see if I understand you here, There was never a punch thrown OR anything that resembled a punch being thrown?? So the ref just called the match a disqualification for the heck of it? Yeah, didn't think so.

And let's be honest while we're at it-- There wasn't a whole lot of rasslin going on during that match between BOTH wrestlers, which isn't surprising after watching the baylor HWT wrestle last year and again this year. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the baylor HWT DQ'd for too many stalling calls last year at state?

Furthermore, the whole slideby story seems a bit watered down and too coincidental. By attempting to defend the baylor HWT's name and character, you have belittled and insulted the MBA HWT in the process which is ironic.

So let me see if I understand you here, There was never a punch thrown OR anything that resembled a punch being thrown?? So the ref just called the match a disqualification for the heck of it? Yeah, didn't think so.

And let's be honest while we're at it-- There wasn't a whole lot of rasslin going on during that match between BOTH wrestlers, which isn't surprising after watching the baylor HWT wrestle last year and again this year. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the baylor HWT DQ'd for too many stalling calls last year at state?

Furthermore, the whole slideby story seems a bit watered down and too coincidental. By attempting to defend the baylor HWT's name and character, you have belittled and insulted the MBA HWT in the process which is ironic.

I respect your brother greatly and congratulate him on his fourth place finish. He may not have purposely "thrown" a punch, but he think he was frustrated and maybe tried to snap him down or something and was a little too rough. From where I was sitting (front row) I can guarantee you that he was not trying a slide by. Again not trying to belittle Mr. Watson. Their was stalling on both sides, but hey its a heavy weight match!

MWR if you saw Tyler wrestle this year and last year then you saw 2 completely different things. Yes Tyler stalled quite a bit last year versus Hermann in the state duals match. Should he have been called for it four times? I don't know. I wasn't there. Keep in mind it was the same ref who DQ'd Max Ofori 215 pounder of Cleveland in the state finals this year. This year in state duals he beat the new Father Ryan HWT 6-0. To score 6 points as a HWT makes it difficult to stall. I never said he did nothing that resembled a punch either so learn to not misquote someone. An elbow does look similar to a punch except that there is no fist hitting a face. As silverpie stated there was no DQ either. Learn the rules of wrestling. A DQ is not a golden point OT finish. I also never said anything derogatory towards Browner. I have done nothing to belittle the MBA gentleman and I congratulate him on his 3rd place finish. MWR you should probably stay off of this board for a while and go study especially after all the things I discovered which you need to go learn.

govolscb21 you are really having a hard time understanding what move was being done. Tyler never even attempted a snap down. Also front row seats aren't always that great considering any front row seat during the consolation session of the tournament had at least two tables in front of them. From my seat (5th row where nothing could block my view and from the several times I watched the match on video there was no punch "thrown" as you say. A punch is defined in the dictionary as, "to hit with a sharp blow from the fist." The referee called an elbow to the head (not a punch to the head) which awarded Browner the match since it was in OT. Where does your guarnatee originate from anyway. Wait are you the late night TV mind reader? I would gladly bet money that he attempted a slide by. I also understand that there was stalling on both sides. Call stalling against both wrestlers then. It has been done that way before especially in HWT matches.