Independence Coach Darren Henrie??¦

Raidergirl

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Independence fires boys Coach Darren Henrie

By Jeff Lockridge ??? THE TENNESSEAN ??? February 25, 2009

Darren Henrie was relieved of his coaching duties as Independence boys basketball coach today, principal Todd Campbell confirmed.

Henrie, a former Franklin High and Lipscomb University standout, is the only boys basketball coach the Thompson??™s Station school has employed since it opened in 2004.

Independence went 18-10 this season and enjoyed a surprising run in District 11-AAA, finishing one game behind Brentwood and Franklin.

But the Eagles, who have been unable to advance beyond the district tournament, were upset by Overton 71-69 in the 11-AAA quarterfinals last Thursday.

???I think Darren has done a great job building this program from scratch,??? Campbell said. ???We lost the last three years the first round of the playoffs. I just felt like to get over that hump we needed to go in a different direction.???

Henrie remains a physical education teacher at Independence. He was the athletics director until Campbell came on board last July.

I agree. Their record was way better than their talent. I only saw them twice, but I didn't see one team this year that played harder than those guys.

I thought he did a great job this year. With the talent he had they should have finished near the bottom and to almost win the district was unbelievable.It could not have been the coaching because he did a great job. Independance lost a great coach. I am sure he will find another job quickly. Good luck.

I thought he did a great job this year. With the talent he had they should have finished near the bottom and to almost win the district was unbelievable.It could not have been the coaching because he did a great job. Independance lost a great coach. I am sure he will find another job quickly. Good luck.

I agree. I am also surprised by this. I mean his team finished 2nd in the district this year. And 2 years ago they also finished second with an unbelievable record in something like 23-5. I don't agree with this decision but thats the way things go sometimes.