Memphis AAA

Dragonmaster

As a parent I must dissagrree that the new coaches will be any differnt than the last. This senior class has to be the most talented group in Memphis history! For the tigers to only land Ashley Robinson from this group is a joke. You will only get out what you put in, and right now U of Memphis is not investing anything into Memphis. Coach Mcferrin gave a long spill to some of us this summer about how she wanted to keep the best players from Memphis in Memphis. DU, you were there when she said it. Right after a local AAU team kicked her returning teams but in the field house. If someone wants to compile a list of the top players they could of got but didnt it might surprise you. Until U of M puts a strangle hold on Memphis talent the product on the floor will be average at best and the seats will be EMPTY.

Well I too, as a parent, stand by my statement. I don't know Melissa McFerrin personally, but I have to comment on what I KNOW she has done in Memphis and give credit where credit's due. While McFerrin may not have concentrated much on local talent for the 2009 year, she has definite plans for 2010, 2011, and 2012. Remember she only took over this last summer, I'm sure she had already put in time with girls from this class while still at American U--Bilqis Quaadar is from Boston, much closer to Delaware than Memphis! Sorry, I don't think she felt she had much chance of landing a James or a Pratcher without first building a relationship. That list of girls she could have gotten may not be as talented in her opinion as yours, anyway no matter how talented a player is, if she doesn't fit a program's needs at the time she won't be picked up. I do believe she has made a committment for the BEST talent available regardless of location and that's the only way to build a winning program. After all, how many local boys has Coach Cal signed at the U of M? As I stated before, she has been VERY aggressive with the underclasmen. More than one coach has told me that she has done more outreach in Memphis in the past six months than the previous coach did in her entire career.

Now... I do remember that butt kickin'! First the 16 and under team beat them, and if that wasn't bad enough our 14 and under team beat them. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> But that's the team McFerrin inherited, she didn't build that team. Give her some time and I believe she will get not just any Memphis players but top notch girls.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I too, as a parent, stand by my statement. I don't know Melissa McFerrin personally, but I have to comment on what I KNOW she has done in Memphis and give credit where credit's due. While McFerrin may not have concentrated much on local talent for the 2009 year, she has definite plans for 2010, 2011, and 2012. Remember she only took over this last summer, I'm sure she had already put in time with girls from this class while still at American U--Bilqis Quaadar is from Boston, much closer to Delaware than Memphis! Sorry, I don't think she felt she had much chance of landing a James or a Pratcher without first building a relationship. That list of girls she could have gotten may not be as talented in her opinion as yours, anyway no matter how talented a player is, if she doesn't fit a program's needs at the time she won't be picked up. I do believe she has made a committment for the BEST talent available regardless of location and that's the only way to build a winning program. After all, how many local boys has Coach Cal signed at the U of M? As I stated before, she has been VERY aggressive with the underclasmen. More than one coach has told me that she has done more outreach in Memphis in the past six months than the previous coach did in her entire career.

Now... I do remember that butt kickin'! First the 16 and under team beat them, and if that wasn't bad enough our 14 and under team beat them. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> But that's the team McFerrin inherited, she didn't build that team. Give her some time and I believe she will get not just any Memphis players but top notch girls.

U of M program became successfull establishing itself with local talent and went national with coach Cal. if you want to believe the 5 "3 kid from Botson is an elite program changer think again. When you play in a home school or a SBEC type of league its extremely difficult to judge that type of talent. Remember most game changers or difference makers are signed in November, very few in April as this kid will do. I hope the program does turn around and become a top tier team in c-usa. I think many local girls would like the opportunity to play for them, but when you see opponents coaches come in town to play them and make time to show up to games thats speaks volumes. That staff is not visible in the stands...

U of M program became successfull establishing itself with local talent and went national with coach Cal. if you want to believe the 5 "3 kid from Botson is an elite program changer think again. When you play in a home school or a SBEC type of league its extremely difficult to judge that type of talent. Remember most game changers or difference makers are signed in November, very few in April as this kid will do. I hope the program does turn around and become a top tier team in c-usa. I think many local girls would like the opportunity to play for them, but when you see opponents coaches come in town to play them and make time to show up to games thats speaks volumes. That staff is not visible in the stands...

Well, maybe not YOUR stands! Let's get the facts straight, she did sign in November, check the paper. Interesting you didn't say "Lausanne type of league"which is "SBEC's" league. I guess then you'd have to admit that Avant's playing in that league defeats your argument. Anyway I'm glad she'll be coming to Memphis instead of UCLA from whom she received her first letter as an eighth grader. I went back and did some more reading on her and, just as I thought, McFerrin says she's been "following her since eigth grade". I don't know if she'll be THE ONE for the U of M, but I hope she does at least as well as the equally talented Memphis girls you claim McFerrin overlooked.

Well, maybe not YOUR stands! Let's get the facts straight, she did sign in November, check the paper. Interesting you didn't say "Lausanne type of league"which is "SBEC's" league. I guess then you'd have to admit that Avant's playing in that league defeats your argument. Anyway I'm glad she'll be coming to Memphis instead of UCLA from whom she received her first letter as an eighth grader. I went back and did some more reading on her and, just as I thought, McFerrin says she's been "following her since eigth grade". I don't know if she'll be THE ONE for the U of M, but I hope she does at least as well as the equally talented Memphis girls you claim McFerrin overlooked.

BBall, you are right with the signing date ... it was last years crop that was in the late signing group. As far as Lausanne, they are in a league of their own /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> they dont count. The talent stockpiled over there can compete in any league. As stated in my previous post I would love to see Memphis losse the door mat moniker, and fill up the field house. Ashley Robinson was a great catch for Memphis, I just believe there were others who could of helped generate a local buzz as well. I hope Mcferrin does put a wall around Memphis as far as recruiting, when she gets that first big name the rest will follow..

Wow, conversation!!!! Look what playing devil's advocate started. I personally feel there would have been a better choice at Memphis. I would also like to talk about the concept of committing to a school. Doesn't that mean if they offer you a scholarship you would accept it. My son is in the 5th grade and he is going to commit to USC in football tomorrow.

Yes when you get the best girls' in a town the size of Memphis, to play together they will all rise to a level of play that can compete nationally. Been there done that. The skills of players, in Memphis, have improved greatly because of the "jake legs". Those people have no restrains on the amount of time they can work with the players. Hopefully those coaches, and many are quality coaches, that do AAU are out simply to promote the talent in this area. I know that in many cases dad's coach. It is hard to be loyal to two places. We as parents want our children to play at the highest level possible and if we are involved with an AAU group and then get a chance to play elsewhere in most cases we would do that. This sometimes leaves the first group high and dry.

All that being said, which is just rambling, I am, a firm proponent of AAU, a supporter of U of M, somewhat knowledgable in the game of basketball, and have attended girls and boys games in Memphis for 25 years.

The girl's game has come a long way and it is becoming more and more fun to watch..

Wow, conversation!!!! Look what playing devil's advocate started. I personally feel there would have been a better choice at Memphis. I would also like to talk about the concept of committing to a school. Doesn't that mean if they offer you a scholarship you would accept it. My son is in the 5th grade and he is going to commit to USC in football tomorrow.

Yes when you get the best girls' in a town the size of Memphis, to play together they will all rise to a level of play that can compete nationally. Been there done that. The skills of players, in Memphis, have improved greatly because of the "jake legs". Those people have no restrains on the amount of time they can work with the players. Hopefully those coaches, and many are quality coaches, that do AAU are out simply to promote the talent in this area. I know that in many cases dad's coach. It is hard to be loyal to two places. We as parents want our children to play at the highest level possible and if we are involved with an AAU group and then get a chance to play elsewhere in most cases we would do that. This sometimes leaves the first group high and dry.

All that being said, which is just rambling, I am, a firm proponent of AAU, a supporter of U of M, somewhat knowledgable in the game of basketball, and have attended girls and boys games in Memphis for 25 years.

They girl's game has com a long way and it is becoming more and more fun to watch..

Rambling, out side of the last paragraph you make no sense! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

You should probably try to start your own AAU thing in Collierville and maybe your team would be better....

AS a matter of fact we are going to start a MYAB organization and attempt to begin with the youngest possible. 6th graders this year and go younger next year. We almost have the coaches lined up. We are going to have it in the Collierville paper next week...

13AAA

Liberty Tech Magnet

Hardin County

Brighton

Munford

14AAA

Millington

Bartlett

Arlington

Cordova

Match-ups for Region 7 (14AAA could sweep)

Millington ??“vs- Munford (Millington by +25)

Bartlett ??“vs- Brighton (Bartlett +25)

Arlington ??“vs- Hardin County (Arlington +2)

Cordova ??“vs- Liberty Tech (Cordova +1 if Shantel Crout is not hurt)

15AAA

Memphis Overton

White Station

Ridgeway

Houston

16AAA

Memphis Central

Melrose

Memphis East

Fairly

Match-ups for Region 8 (15AAA should get 3 out of 4)

Memphis Overton ??“vs- Fairly (Memphis Overton +3)

White Station ??“vs- Memphis East (White Station +1)

Ridgeway ??“vs- Melrose (Ridgeway +1)

Houston ??“vs- Memphis Central (Memphis Central +5)

So DU, you really think they will all be that close (+1, +2, +3, +5) except for Bartlett's and Millington's games (+25)? I guess it's like I said once before way back when--the road to the Boro from Memphis area is a little easier from 14AAA than from 15AAA and 16AAA. Just not as many tough games with the other side of your region.

It should be an interesting evening--too bad we can't have a giant TV screen in each of the gyms where all the rest of the games could be broadcast so we could keep up with all the games at once. I think the best game of the night should be Melrose and Ridgeway. This ought to be the game of the week....

Good luck to all Memphis area girls.

However it goes, I'm hoping 2 of the 8 teams at state will be strong Memphis area teams making a focused run for the hardware.