Who was bettter South Pittsburg or Marion County?

South Pittsburg....better coaching and all around athletes...very well disciplined program

Marion County....Poor coaching. Athletes with a chip on their shoulder...poor sportmanship....

If you are going to play Marion County, look around the stadium for someone sneaking around to watch you practice...it happened to South Pittsburg.

First off lets me say that Both teams were solid. MCHS made more mistakes and SPHS capitalized on the mistakes. This game was won in the special teams and because of the mistakes. Whose the better team I would have to say the Warriors. Why well South Pitt was better on Friday because of the breaks that went their way. if you look at the stats it tells the tell. In the first half alone SPHS had 71 yards of offense the all-state AJ Jones had 6 yards rushing and 60 plus of those yards came on one play a TD pass off blown coverage and a missed tackle. With those stats the pirates still had 20 points, how Kickoff return TD the long TD pass and An interception return to the 10 yard line to set up the 3 TD. Second Half the pirates popped a TD after injury and cramps forced some reserves to play. That is part of the game so I feel SPHS earned two TDs of the four they scored the others were gifts. The warriors had a goalline stand where SPHS could not punch it in twice from inside the 1 yard line. The bottom line is on friday the pirates were the better team are if they played 10 more times could they win again? probably not but if, and buts are not part of the game , the warriors will get ready for Tellico and move on with the rest of the season.

Probably just 2 evenly matched teams.....but on Friday Night SP was the better.....

Jasper needs to get it together, players and coaching staff or they'll not win 5 games.....good luck.....

SP will have a test in Week 3 and week 8, week 3 with Grundy County and Week 8 with Boyd Buchanan

I had no idea about the allegations that Marion had been sending somebody over to watch SP practice until I read it in Saturday morning's paper. However, I was sitting in the stands with some friends from Jasper before the game started and Vic Grider was really giving the Jasper coach the riot act. We had no idea what it was about at the time but I swear I thought Grider was going to explode.

I've always like Marion and thought that back in the Mid-90's they had some of the greatest teams this state has ever seen. I find it hard to believe that they would stoop to such a level. That's pretty low class IMHO.

i watched the game friday and would start by answering the subject of this thread, s.pitt. is a better football team. to sum it up, neither team was very impressive, but s.pitt. was able to make the plays in the second half. i also have to say that piratecountry was correct a few days ago when he implied that marion co. has dropped off. what stood out the most, however, what still has me in disbelief, is just how far marion has dropped. generally, marion has a fairly solid starting lineup with a sprinkling of athletes. this year's squad has holes at every position and has no one that i would call an athlete(with a straight face) with possibly the exception of springs. the warrior defense is frighteningly slow and to make matters worse, they were badly out of shape.(players were standing around with their hands on their knees). also, i was astonished when i looked at the marion sidelines and saw almost no players. it looked to me like marion had a total of about 25 players. i don't know what is responsible for this low turnout, but i NEVER thought i would see the day when marion's numbers of players and talent level would get this low.......it was shocking. either marion has lost its tradition and no one wants to play for the warriors any more or something has happened to deter the boys from coming out. either way, marion's program is in shambles and looking ahead to this year's schedule, they may be looking at one of their worst records in decades(5-5 would be optimistic). looking ahead to next year, marion's program is definitely heading due south, and something drastic will have to occur to turn the program around. coach taylor is definitely in a very bad situation.

[Edited by tnaquarius on 9-3-02 1:56P]

You say South Pitt won because of mistakes but South Pitt made their fair share of mistakes too. The game featured 2 pretty evenly matched teams. Don't forget that when S.P got down to the 1 yard line trying to score their qb cramped up and came out of the game. The backup qb came in and mishandled the snap and got us a loss back to the 8 yard line. If our qb is in we score on that drive and the game is over. Also I think alot of people have forgotten that S.P had a touchdown pass with a few minutes left in the half but the qb threw the ball into the ground. If that ball is up, Jones' catches it and is untouched for a TD. Also don't start saying this stuff about special teams. Football comes down to offense, defense, and special teams. If I remember correctly special teams was a big reason Jasper got us last year. I also noticed South Pittsburg's players were in much better shape than Jasper's.

Hold on just a second: Yes, South Pittsburg was the better team Friday night, but are they a better team overall? I say probably not. Yes, both teams made a slew of mistakes to cost them the ball game, South Pittsburg capitalized, the Warriors did not. I speak from an up close view of the Warriors team(and no I am not a coach), so I can't say a great deal about the Pirates, although Ron Ridley is a fine athlete. But for you to say that there isn't anything on the Warrior team that resembles an athlete is absolutely false. Yes they were a bit out of shape, but S.P. had their fair share of cramping players too. Out of shape or just a hot August evening? Who knows. In any event, Marion has probably the best set of athletes out there(even with the numbers down) than they've had in years. South Pittsburg can brag for a year, they earned that right to do so, but for Marion's sake, lets wait before we say everything is in shambles, give them a chance to regroup and fight back this week against Tellico Plains.