Scrimmages this week (3/2)

jogabonito6

Maryville-1

Hardin Valley-0

Maryville dominated possesion and chances to score in the first half. At halftime, we were pretty upset that we were still tied. Must have had six corners.

Maryville was really sloppy in the second half, and Hardin Valley really took it to them. Maryville looked like they were upset that they weren't scoring and they became disorganized. We stabbed all over the field and lost focus. Hardin Valley missed a couple of good chances, and Maryville was on their heels for the last 20. Maryville was able to score with a solid goal from Bradley Fischer.

Both coaches were pretty upset with their teams performance. Mike McClean kept his team afterwards and ran them to death. Both teams look like they have a long way to go but this expected with two young teams. Best of luck to HV.

Hardin valley coach made the team run because they left trash on the bench and not because of the performance!!!!! Maryville has a fast athletic team and i thought it was a fun game.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardin valley coach made the team run because they left trash on the bench and not because of the performance!!!!! Maryville has a fast athletic team and i thought it was a fun game.

Thats awesome....Good for the coach, being a booster parent I'm tired of picking up after schools that leave their trash in the bench area and that goes for their supporters as well.

Hardin Valley Coach ..I salute you. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sorry. I thought it was strange that he would be mad at them for their performacne as well. I guess I should get my facts straight before I post.

Anyone know how Farragut did against McCallie today?

Farragut 1 McCallie 0

zero zero in the first half. everyone it appeared played on both sides and the subing begin early and often on both sides. dont know Farragut but McCallie I know never had their starting 11 on the field at one time. I am guessing but I think McCallie started maybe 7/8 of their starting 11 with many playing new or different positions. Two freshmen started up top. Hard to say since we have had only one pratice game but I have been sitting in the stands a lot of years. The second period goal was well shot and scored on a 10th grade new goalie. Not taking anything away from the shot; it was well shot but a more experienced goalie would have played it different. Each team could have scored several more goals it appeared. I think both teams have a lot of talent and would enjoy watching an in season game no matter the outcome because there was a number of talented players playing on each side at times. I am certain Farragut will have a great season and wish them all the best. It is great to play a well coached, talented team in the preseason. Thank you for making the drive down to Chattanooga.

I know for a fact the Seymour coach called and was told by someone named GENE at TSSAA that the game could not be played as a pre-season scrimmage and would count toward regular season total number of games if played then. Can be played after season over though.

If you can prove otherwise please let me know. I know our coach would prefer to do it that way.

Ref -

Not to be a stickler, but he did prove it to you: Article IV, Section 1 (page 20) in the TSSAA Handbook "Schools Which Member Schools May Play or Scrimmage." What more proof would you want?

Schools Which Member Schools May Play or Scrimmage

Section 1. A member of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is permitted to play or scrimmage any secondary school team with grades 9 and above in regular season play.

For the purposes of this rule, a school team may be one school or a cooperative program of one or more schools.

A member school may play one alumni game in all sports except football. If the school has separate teams for boys and girls in a particular sport (e.g., girls and boys basketball), each team may play an alumni game.

I think the key "discrepancy" is the wordage of game (and not game or scrimmage) in the alumni sentence. To be honest, I remember dealing with this about 3-4 years ago when I had my last alumni game. Can't remember what the problem was, just that I had to call the TSSAA and ask them about it. (Sorry, I know that my explanation is as clear as mud).

The issue with the Alumni game in preseason.

The interpretation of the rule given to Seymour by Gene Menees TSSAA assistant directer, is that Alumni games can be played only during the regular season and they do count as one of the 16 regular season games.

The reason is scrimmaging any team other than a legitimate high school team in the preseason is forbidden. TSSAA does not want High School Teams scrimmaging club teams or adult league teams.

Ref was not completely accurate in saying after the season is ok, because I think that would violate the rules as well. What Seymour did last year was invite Alumni as well as the middle school team to come to the local AYSO park and we had some "pickup games" and a "covered dish" picnic. Coach Norwood played on the Alumni so he was not coaching (wasn't playing very good either, had a hard time keeping up with the kids.) After the games we presented our team awards. It was a great community event and a lot of people in Seymour associated with soccer were able to get together and enjoy the games. We hope to do it again this year.

Larry Scalf was generous in donating his time to ref and keep everyone in line. If you know Larry, you know that everything stayed calm!

BTW I have seen several posters refer to the seniors Seymour graduated last as Carlos, Spenser and the keeper.

This bothers me: the keeper is Garrett Becker and he is one of the best PEOPLE (not just soccer player or high school student) you would ever want to meet. He was recognized as second team prepxtra last year by the knoxville newsentinal which is an amazing accomplishment considering all the great teams and players in knoxville, and He greatly deserved it. He was also voted District Keeper of the year by the district coaches. He is currently attending ETSU on academic scholarship.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Alcoa - 2

Webb - 0

Fairly even match. Especially early when both teams were feeling each other out. We scored off 2 breakaways created by hustle plays. Thought we had the run of play early in second half, but Webb put on a ton of pressure the last 20, and I was upset we were sitting on our heels. I was waiting for the Spartans to put one or two in, but we were able to get out of there.

Good luck to the Boys from Webb this year. Very classy group of young men.

Catholic 5

Oak Ridge 0

Both teams played very well. From an outside perspective it appears that Luke Mishu is the Irish's "X Factor" if you will. Catholic had a bunch of chances including a missed pk but did very well with finishing their opportunities. Oak Ridge also had a few good looks but just couldnt find the back of the net. Good luck to both teams as the regular season begins.